Women's intelligence

Women's intelligence

There’s a new fashion that is to say that women are less intelligent then man. Here I’d like to show what the scriptures say about it. In a certain way, it is indeed said that most part of women usually have a very soft heart. That might be aproblem because many times they can put their heart and feelings before theirintelligence or sense of discrimination. This is not exactly a lack ofintelligence, but a purity of heart that is dangerous for the person in adegraded world like the one we live in. In this way, pure creatures like womenand brahmanas should always be taken care of, so that they can be protected fromevil persons. There’s no question that the brahminical class is the mostintelligent class of the society (we are not speaking here of people who arebrahmanas because were born in family of brahmanas, but we are talking aboutreal brahmanas, with the brahminical qualifications). Similarly, the fact thatwomen are pure or, many times, innocent, or that they have to be protected, hasabsolutely nothing to do with a lack of intelligence. Sarasvati, the goddess ofintelligence is a woman!
“Agnihthram Tatachar swamy points out a specialVedic term : Purandhi, and explains its significance . According to the VedAs ,women are more intelligent than men (i.e) she is a purandhi. (…) By that term ,Women's superior intelligence is indicated.”*
Being aware of the capacity ofthe girls, the families and teachers used to train them just as they used totrain the boys. That was according to the Atharva Veda, which says that girlsshould be trained as students before entering marriage life. “Girls should trainthemselves to become complete scholars and youthful through Brahmcharya and thenenter married life.” **
The Atharva Veda also says: “Oh woman! You are thekeeper of knowledge of all types of actions (karma).” “Oh woman! You knoweverything. Please provide us strength of prosperity and wealth.” and “Oh woman!Utilize your vedic intellect in all directions of our home!”.
In the sameVeda it is also stated: “Women should take part in the legislative chambers andput their views on forefront.” And from the Rg Veda we have: “O men and women! Ascholarly woman who has practiced or teaches one, two or three Vedas or fourVedas and four upavedas, along with grammar, etymology etc and spreads knowledgeto whole world and removes ignorance of people is source of happiness for entireworld. A woman who studies and teaches all parts of Vedas brings progress to allhuman beings.” So, the idea that women can’t study the Vedas is just a modernnon-sense. Actually, they should not only study it, but also teach it, althoughwe see that in many spiritual societies nowadays women are not allowed to preachor teach.
According to The Rg Veda, women can say: “My destiny is as gloriousas the rising sun. I am the flag of my home and society. I am also their head. Ican give impressive discourses. My sons conquer enemies. My daughter illuminatesthe whole world.”
So, as we see, women from vedic age don’t think ofthemselves as poor non-intelligent creatures. They know their importance notonly for their family but also for their society. They are the had. So, theyhave intelligence and give directions. Their importance is not only to staybehind men obeying their orders. They say they can give impressive discourses.Of course they are not locked at home just cooking and cleaning, otherwise, thatstatement would make no sense. They are free to speak for many people and theyare impressive, so they have knowledge to cause that impression. Their sonsconquer enemies, but their daughter illuminates the whole world. Their daughtersare not burdens that are killed in the womb or who are less important then theirsons. No! They illuminate the whole world!

*SriPedia - http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia/cgi-bin/kbase/Vedas/Women’
** Agniveer – Womenin Vedas - http://agniveer.com/vedas/women-in-vedas/

http://deviwoman.blogspot.com/

www.iskconbr.multiply.com

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer
        Correction: Wikipedia says womens brain is 1130 cc and man's 1260 cc
        • Wikipedia also says that brain size has nothing to do with intelligence.  Therefore, brain size should have nothing to do with womens' standing in society.  I don't know how to translate cc's into ounces, honestly, but it really doesn't matter, since studies have shown that brain size has nothing to do with intelligemce.
  • Jai Shri Krishna..

My mother who raised me, she is very intelligent she is the embodiment of Krishna's love for me. My sister who is older than me, she helped look after me, taught me many words and thank Krishna she still is looking out for me. She is the love that Krishna inspires. I had a Dadi(grandmother) she was my playground my well-wisher, she told me stories of Krishna. She was the Vedas that Krishna gave.  Of all females that I have come across,  all showed signs of great intelligence and love, love without which I would not have attained love for Krishna easily.

2531805467?profile=original 

• I showed your wonderful article to my devotee wife of ten years gopi janavallabha devi dasi ,she said yes we can be very smart.However even though we are soo very intelligent we...... very easily do not listen to that intelligence coming from the super soul.And simply plunge head long into ignorance,thats why you send our son out with my daughter till she is married ,......of course she said don't you dear post these thoughts and realisations on one of those sights......prabhu!
  • yes women are smart. krsna says my potential energy is sri mathi radha rani
  • The question of proving superiority between the equal halves of the Spiritual Energy has been entered very discretely from the backdoor of women's brains. See, the superiority starts dissolving the moment it is attempted to be exhibited. Whereas if let it be there simply, then its presence is felt just like the fragrance of a Rose or Saffron flower. You yourself has said that women are vulnerable to commit mistakes and show weakneses because of their Soft Cushy and Cozy heart and mind which a creator of physical bodies for the souls to come and live in them. That is not considered a fault. But to safeguard these mistakes, some rights are taken away from women. That's all . It is so simple. Throw out of your mind this Kaliyugi Vichaar Dhara. No body is underestimating you. Both male energy and female energy are flowing in this universe equally no one is less or no one is more. If you concentrate on this point it will be visible to you what wrong it has done in present society. Example of Sita Mata, Sati Parvati, Sati Savitri, Sri Radha Rani, they never showed their superiority under the influence of Aasuri Kaliyugi Vichaar Dhara and so enjoyed a fearless life well protected by their husbands, mother-in-laws and father-in-laws. At those times there were less Balatkaars than what are done at present. The result is before you. You have to decide how much rights do you want ?
    Hare Krishna Mataji ! Please excuse me if I might have offended you in the least.
    • Forgive me if I misunderstand you, but are you saying that we women might be smart, more intelligent, etc. But if we SHOW it, all is lost? Is that what you are saying? Prabhupada did say in many places that women are less intelligent. I want to find a way to be at peace with those statements. But when I see what looks to be excuses made for those attitudes, I lose hope. So how does one take Prabhupada's statements that women should be left in the home and are less intelligent? How can a woman who yearns for Krishna and wants to lead a Krishna conscious life, but who also knows that she and all her friends and colleagues have brains that are out of this world....despite the fact that we are women....How can we women trust that we are not always looked upon as "less than," simply because of our bodily designations? I have asked this so many times, and the question is always evaded, or I am told that I am overreacting. I am sorry, but I do not think I am overreacting. Someone please help me get past this.

Hare Krishna
      • Volunteer

No one can answer your question here better than Srila Prabhupada. Keep listening to Him over and over and one day it will come all clear.

I agree with Kusha Das, we must put less attention on our bodily consciousness and more on the instructions of Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Ceto Darpana.... Vijayate Srikrishna Sankirtanam

If you can see the importance of following the instructions of Prabhupada, Perform Sankirtana everyday, I will accept you to be more intelligent, than many devotee men, who fail to see it, much less perform Sankirtana.

I challenge you, if you are intelligent prove to yourself. Both women and men.

Matajis, kindly stop keeping your Prabhu from performing Sankirtana. Show us you are intelligent, encourage us and even join us.

Prabhus, just because a general statement that women are less intelligent, does not make all of us more intelligent. We must prove it by following the Acharyas, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and accept His instructions starting from the 1st Instruction of Caitanya Mahaprabhu, to perform Sankirtana.

Vijayate Sri Krishna Sankirtanam.

• I have always had some trouble with what I will call culturally tinted views of women. Is not putting a woman on a lower level than a man displaying bodily identification? Are we not all equal quality souls? Parts and parcels of Lord Krishna?
    • Volunteer
      If you simply go out every day, whether you are a man or a woman, and chant the Holy Name in public, you can give up all this doubt and fear, give up the unnecessary quibbling and become miraculously happy. This is guaranteed by the Jagat Guru, Srila Prabhupada.
This reply was deleted.