What's the Right Approach?

Hare Krishna Everyone,

Please guide me regarding my doubt. I've seen many devotees saying that through doing devotional activities towards Krishna, one's pain/sorrow get swayed away with time. But I've realized that somewhere still we are struggling with many problems/challenges/pain/sorrow. I am sure that by chanting lord's name, one can get strength to fight with one's problem.

Also, we all have experienced that mostly we introduce new members into KC movement, by saying that your all pain and sorrows will be erased immediately after surrendering to Krishna and Guru?

Do you think is this a right approach to introduce someone into KC movement? bcoz I have seen many devotees still struggling with many things even after joining Iskcon from many years.

Please do guide me. 

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krsna, pamho,

I understand your predicament, thats common in spiritual life, people are introduced to bhakti by whatever means, either by prasad or by books or by telling them you will be happy and successful. But nobody tells you that krsna will give you reactions of your karma the moment you join in, he will purify you and not give you or provide you the things you want. In fact, on the other hands you will see, people breaking all 4 regulative principles having best times, enjoying life and devotees are suffering. 

Another serious issue is bad counselling

Those who havent got results of spiritual practice are counselling. It should never be trial and error, that you try something and the,n you see errors in doing what is being told . Hare krsna mantra is meant for krsna prema and vairagya, people expect material results from it. For material sucess you have to worship demi gods. 

Siddha's domain

If you dont have siddhas to tell you the reasons of your suffering or the reasons of why are you not getting success, there is a danger you might loose taste in bhakti or you may change sampraday. In the begining people become overenthusiatic about diksha and after ten years when they see new gurus and sampradays offering better solutions, they just leave the old and irrelevant sampradays. 

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

When we say that coming to Krsna COnsciousness makes one happy, it doesnt mean that problems disappear. In fact, in most cases, more and more problems appear. 

What happens is - one is able to understand the temporary nature of body itself, what to speak of problems related to the body or because of the body. 

One starts to understand that one is soul, and by doing kirtan, dancing and eating prasadam, they experience pleasure of a different level. When one is happy at the level of the soul, then his physical discomfort becomes much lesser in his mind. He is able to transcend that physical problem by being in Krsna Consciousness.

I have seen a lot of cases where obstacles in the path of devotion automatically disappear/ reduce when one advances on the path. The environment becomes conducive to practising Krsna Consciousness, giving a lot of pleasure to the devotees. 

If someone is struggling with many things even after joining ISKCON for many years, he simply has to improve his level of chanting. Everything else will fall in place. Either he will learn to handle the problem or the problem itself will disappear when he progresses.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

Do you think is this a right approach to introduce someone into KC movement ?

There is no one correct approach to introduce someone to Bhakti. Because everyone is at different levels or everyone has different states of attachments. But great saints , knowing the fact that conditioned souls are like fish in desert sand chasing after the mirage, somehow encourage people to connect with Sri Krsna who is the only and the ultimate source of all auspiciousness. 

We can see the example of Sri Narada Muni. He preached to different devotees in different ways. For Valmiki, he gave Rama mantra in a unique way. To Prahlad maharaj in womb, he directly gave supreme knowledge & bhakti. To Dhruva he advised to perform severe austerities while meditating on Vasudeva. To Mrigari he told to kill animals fully. But the result is that whoever accepted the instructions of Narada muni and sincerely followed it, acheived perfection of pure devotional service.

In this day and age, most people are suffering. So sometimes devotees encourage people to perform bahkti to get some relief. And it is true that whoever performs bhakti sincerely irrespective of their background will get at least some relief from miseries. But people may not follow or stop practicing sincerely after getting some small benefits. It may not the fault of devotees who introduce KC. If people ask questions and probe deeply I am sure they will definitely get all the answers they need. 

Rupa Gosvami has advised - Yena Kena Prakarena Manah Krishne Nivesayet

Somehow or the other by any means necessary , invest your consicousness in Krsna. (BRS. 1.2.4)

This we should take as instructions to ourselves personally first. 

Bcoz I have seen many devotees still struggling with many things even after joining Iskcon from many years.

This has been the case, is the case and will be the case. Because bhakti is a very  personal process. How we approach Krsna, Krsna reciprocates  with us. The issue is not with the process or how we are introduced, it is how sincerely we follow the process.

all pain and sorrows will be erased immediately after surrendering to Krishna and Guru?

So, how many people do you know that have fully surrenderd to Guru  & Krsna ?

I am sure that by chanting lord's name, one can get strength to fight with one's problem.

That is excellent. Just continue to practice sincerely, the lord's holy name will surely deliver us all.

Hare Krsna

This reply was deleted.