Regulative principle intoxication

Hare Krishna!!

Please let me know What will happen to those person who do pooja daily and do 2-4 rounds of japa and also do Ekadashi fast and he has no desire.. he do his duties without ego  selfless desire but occasionally drink liquor in party with Freinds in get together during some events .

1 .What sinful reaction will get to these person ?
2.does his devotion service vanquished 
3. Does he got animal birth in next life ?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare krishna Prabhu,

if person  doing japa daily but occasionally drink still he will get hell life and animal birth?

so that means his all  devotion service which he did like japa and Ekadashi fast All are vanished due to drinking  which he did that also very rare 

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

I have provided references from scriptures on what is consequence of doing sinful acts and pious acts. 

The devotional service is are never vanished nor is a life in hell or lower species a permanent situation. 

There is story of King Bharata in Srimad Bhagavatam 5th Canto. King Bharata was sole king of the world and renounced his kingship in his oldage. He became an ascetic and was leading a very pure and austere life in forest. By accident he became attached to a deer. Due to his attachment to deer, he neglected his ascetic practices and became a deer in his next (second) life. 

But Bharata in his deer body remembered his ascetic practices and there after was born as in a brahmana family as Jada Bharata (third life). As Jada Bharata he was careful not to be too attached to anything but practice of devotion. 

So from this story of Srimad Bhagavtam we can understand that even something as affection to an innocent creature as deer can make a highly detached and elevated person take a body of deer. But in any case the devotional progress is not lost. 

Hare Krsna

• Prabhu ji

here in  this story he got attached to deer and neglected Bhakti!! 
          but person who drink is not neglected Bhakti and he is not doing for some desire, he do to show gratitude and thank you for everything!

so why god Krisha will give such cruel punishment to sent to hell and give animal birth  if someone drink occasionally.. he is not killing any one or doing viloence

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

Person who drink is not neglected Bhakti

Drinking alcohol is breaking one of four regulative principles of Bhakti. There are four principles of Dharma - Satya, Sucha, Daya and Tapasya 

Drinking is against the principle of Tapasya. A person who has difficulty in following basic dharma will find practice of bhakti certainly difficult. 

Breaking of regulative principle is worse than sin. It is aparadha or which is anti bhakti. If chanting is like watering the plant of Bhakti then aparadha is like pouring poison on the same plant of bhakti. So drinking is worse than neglecting bhakti. It is an act of losing bhakti. 

he is not killing any one or doing viloence

Could you please clarify what is it that you have problem with - 1. Sinful actions being punished   2. Devotee being punished   3. Drinking being sinful activity.

Hare Krsna

• Yes I agree with drinking one of rule is Breaking of Bhakti but  why next birth person should get animal.

I have concerns with person got punished, he is not fully devotee due to drinking, but he want to become devotee 

I have concerns of type punishment he is getting of drink !!

As person wanted to do Bhakti but due to social and friend pressure he can't get rid of drinking habit, person should get born in some devotee family next life so that he can complete Bhakti and then go to back to god ahead

Please give clarity!!

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

why next birth person should get animal ?

The next life depends on what someone is conditioned during life and what one remembers at time of death. Because King Bharata was affectionate to deer, he remembered deer at time of his death, so he became deer in next life. A person addicted to meat eating gets birth as carnivorious animal in general. So if someone is conditioned or addicted to drinking that person gets particular body as per that addiction. This is not necessariy if someone drinks but not addicted. 

he is not fully devotee due to drinking, but he want to become devotee 

There is no discqualification to begin devotional service. When a person practices bhakti all conditionings will be removed gradually. But if one is inclined to such habits even after practice of bhakti, then one of the two practice will take over the other. 

person should get born in some devotee family next life so that he can complete Bhakti and then go to back to god ahead

Yes, that is still possible after undergoing punishments and birth in lower species. Like King Bharata was born in brahmana family in his 3rd life and performed bhakti very favourably. He remembered his deer life, his king life and he avoided all attachments. 

As person wanted to do Bhakti but due to social and friend pressure he can't get rid of drinking habit

Thank you for mentioning the above. If a person seeks such company and pleasure, they will be given appropriate bodies to perform those activities in a better way. When Indra became a pig, he was quite happy being a pig. That is called maya.  He didn't want to become Indra again. Lord Brahma killed that pig and made him Indra of heaven again. So material nature arranges for all kinds of inclinations by providing appropriate body. Those creatures are happy in such states. 

The choice is simple and binary. This choice is available to humans only.  What is more important in this life ? 

Hare Krsna 

• 1 so Indra got pig body as he did misbehaved to some guru so he got curse

2 why drinking person will get animal body in next life ?

Person is drinking only once in 2 months in get together. So he is not addicted also , he is not misbehaving to anyone 

Yes I agree he is not following the all 4 principles so he is not authorized to go spiritual world but why material agent give animal body for drinking person that am not able understand!! I agree he will again come to duklaya to purify himself !! Until we not purify them Purnam janam and Purnam maran !!

but why animal body to rare drinking person ?

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

why drinking person will get animal body in next life ?

As mentioned previously, the next life depends on the conditioning of the human at time of death. If a person is completely purified then he is transferred to the spiritual world. If not then material natures arranges a particular body according to the conditioning of the jiva. 

yaṁ yaṁ vāpi smaran bhāvaṁ
                    tyajaty ante kalevaram
                    taṁ tam evaiti kaunteya
                    sadā tad-bhāva-bhāvitaḥ

Whatever state of being one remembers when he quits his body, O son of Kuntī, that state he will attain without fail.

Purport : Of course, one’s thoughts during the course of one’s life accumulate to influence one’s thoughts at the moment of death, so this life creates one’s next life. ( BG 8.6)

śrī-bhagavān uvāca
                    karmaṇā daiva-netreṇa
                    jantur dehopapattaye
                    striyāḥ praviṣṭa udaraṁ
                    puṁso retaḥ-kaṇāśrayaḥ

The Personality of Godhead said: Under the supervision of the Supreme Lord and according to the result of his work, the living entity, the soul, is made to enter into the womb of a woman through the particle of male semen to assume a particular type of body. ( SB 3.31.1)

Hare Krsna

• His doing Mixed devotion according to the book by Bhaktivinoda Thakura Bhakti TATTVA viveka. It is not pure bhakti its like a shadow form of bhakti. But I cannot explain it you can read it its by Iskcon and BV Narayana Maharaja translated into english. I recently started reading it..

It explain to my understanding almost 99 percent of the world is doing mixed devotion (they want heaven pleasure or impersonal liberation) Its not pure attama bhakti. Its very mixed indeed kinda even selfish so to say (but please read the book its only 100+ pages long)

So your drinking or etc. Its mixed bhakti you want some sence enjoyment but you also want bhakti. When you meet or associate with pure devotee (this is according to the book) you will get good taste for bhakti. But alas you need CONSTANT association in order to progress. 

• Hare Krishna 

Yes i agree , doing mix Bhakti .. am doing Bhakti to show gratitude to god , as god is supreme. He has given everything!! so my question is if person do mix Bhakti 

1) will he go hellish planet for his drinking 

2) and will he get animal birth .. such a harsh punishment god will give to person who drink occasionally on some events ..and he is not doing any harm to anyone and he is vegetarian only 

so all Bhakti will vanished if he drink . Am not able to digest that thing.. god is not such cruel to give such punishment for person who drink without any crime 

This reply was deleted.