Regulative principle intoxication

Hare Krishna!!

Please let me know What will happen to those person who do pooja daily and do 2-4 rounds of japa and also do Ekadashi fast and he has no desire.. he do his duties without ego  selfless desire but occasionally drink liquor in party with Freinds in get together during some events .

1 .What sinful reaction will get to these person ?
2.does his devotion service vanquished 
3. Does he got animal birth in next life ?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes I agree with drinking one of rule is Breaking of Bhakti but  why next birth person should get animal.

I have concerns with person got punished, he is not fully devotee due to drinking, but he want to become devotee 

I have concerns of type punishment he is getting of drink !!

As person wanted to do Bhakti but due to social and friend pressure he can't get rid of drinking habit, person should get born in some devotee family next life so that he can complete Bhakti and then go to back to god ahead

Please give clarity!!

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

why next birth person should get animal ?

The next life depends on what someone is conditioned during life and what one remembers at time of death. Because King Bharata was affectionate to deer, he remembered deer at time of his death, so he became deer in next life. A person addicted to meat eating gets birth as carnivorious animal in general. So if someone is conditioned or addicted to drinking that person gets particular body as per that addiction. This is not necessariy if someone drinks but not addicted. 

he is not fully devotee due to drinking, but he want to become devotee 

There is no discqualification to begin devotional service. When a person practices bhakti all conditionings will be removed gradually. But if one is inclined to such habits even after practice of bhakti, then one of the two practice will take over the other. 

person should get born in some devotee family next life so that he can complete Bhakti and then go to back to god ahead

Yes, that is still possible after undergoing punishments and birth in lower species. Like King Bharata was born in brahmana family in his 3rd life and performed bhakti very favourably. He remembered his deer life, his king life and he avoided all attachments. 

As person wanted to do Bhakti but due to social and friend pressure he can't get rid of drinking habit

Thank you for mentioning the above. If a person seeks such company and pleasure, they will be given appropriate bodies to perform those activities in a better way. When Indra became a pig, he was quite happy being a pig. That is called maya.  He didn't want to become Indra again. Lord Brahma killed that pig and made him Indra of heaven again. So material nature arranges for all kinds of inclinations by providing appropriate body. Those creatures are happy in such states. 

The choice is simple and binary. This choice is available to humans only.  What is more important in this life ? 

Hare Krsna 

• 1 so Indra got pig body as he did misbehaved to some guru so he got curse

2 why drinking person will get animal body in next life ?

Person is drinking only once in 2 months in get together. So he is not addicted also , he is not misbehaving to anyone 

Yes I agree he is not following the all 4 principles so he is not authorized to go spiritual world but why material agent give animal body for drinking person that am not able understand!! I agree he will again come to duklaya to purify himself !! Until we not purify them Purnam janam and Purnam maran !!

but why animal body to rare drinking person ?

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

why drinking person will get animal body in next life ?

As mentioned previously, the next life depends on the conditioning of the human at time of death. If a person is completely purified then he is transferred to the spiritual world. If not then material natures arranges a particular body according to the conditioning of the jiva. 

yaṁ yaṁ vāpi smaran bhāvaṁ
                    tyajaty ante kalevaram
                    taṁ tam evaiti kaunteya
                    sadā tad-bhāva-bhāvitaḥ

Whatever state of being one remembers when he quits his body, O son of Kuntī, that state he will attain without fail.

Purport : Of course, one’s thoughts during the course of one’s life accumulate to influence one’s thoughts at the moment of death, so this life creates one’s next life. ( BG 8.6)

śrī-bhagavān uvāca
                    karmaṇā daiva-netreṇa
                    jantur dehopapattaye
                    striyāḥ praviṣṭa udaraṁ
                    puṁso retaḥ-kaṇāśrayaḥ

The Personality of Godhead said: Under the supervision of the Supreme Lord and according to the result of his work, the living entity, the soul, is made to enter into the womb of a woman through the particle of male semen to assume a particular type of body. ( SB 3.31.1)

Hare Krsna

• This reply was deleted.
        • Hare Krishna 

Yes i agree , doing mix Bhakti .. am doing Bhakti to show gratitude to god , as god is supreme. He has given everything!! so my question is if person do mix Bhakti 

1) will he go hellish planet for his drinking 

2) and will he get animal birth .. such a harsh punishment god will give to person who drink occasionally on some events ..and he is not doing any harm to anyone and he is vegetarian only 

so all Bhakti will vanished if he drink . Am not able to digest that thing.. god is not such cruel to give such punishment for person who drink without any crime 

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

person who drink without any crime 

Drinking may not be a crime as per the legal laws of kali yuga. But then the govt does not punish such acts.

Could you please provide any reference that drinking is not sinful as per scriptures ?

if person do mix Bhakti 

In such cases they get mix results. Indra who has performed lot of worship, 100 ashwamedha yagyas etc once became a pig. Indra is also a mixed devotee. Mixed devotee gets mixed results which is mix of both positive and negative.

It is not feasible to comment on how much drinking takes one to hellish planet. But history says that mixed actions get mixed results. There is not need to be shocked or surprised at this. One always has an option of not committing sinful activities.

If a practicing devotee who chants Hare Krsna, who follows ekadashi, who knows that drinking is breaking regulative principles deliberately commits such actions, then soon one category of activities will stop. Because sinful acts and devotion cannot be performed side-by-side for long time. But in any case bhakti is not ended. 

god is not such cruel to give such punishment for person who drink

No, God doesn't punish such people. It is the material nature through agency of yamaraja who gives such punishment. Lord Sri Krsna perfectly reciprocates with all living entity as we approach Him. 

ye yathā māṁ prapadyante
            tāṁs tathaiva bhajāmy aham

As all surrender unto Me, I reward them accordingly. ( BG 4.11)

So Krsna reciprocates with desires of living entities according to their desire. If they want to worship HIm, He gives them opportunity. If someone wants to perform sins and turn away from Him, He gives opportunity for that also. If someone wants to willing drink the poison and not be affected by it, it is illogical. 

But God is not a punisher nor are hellish punishments permanent. Such concepts are from non-vedic religions and are incorrect. 

Hare Krsna 

• 1. What cause Indra to become pig ? What sin he did that he got pig body ?

2. As per scripture alcohol is sin ,as scripture wanted person should  not drink to avoid consequences as scripture think if person drink then he will behave misbehavior or he can do wrong thing so avoid this scripture say no to alcohol from starting point

but person aware and consciousness, he just drink in limited way without any harm to accompany freinds, he has desire to give company to freinds to avoid loneliness then what wrong with that If he is very much consciousness after drinking also not doing any misbehaving and next day he statrted work as normal and do his Bhakti , japa practice 

person also want to leave alcohol but due to get together pressure and loneliness feelings as we are staying in USA very limited Indian neighbors so during events and get together we drink 

please suggest!! Hare Krishna 

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

1. What cause Indra to become pig ? What sin he did that he got pig body ?

It is said that once Indra, the King of heaven, was cursed by his spiritual master, Bṛhaspati, on account of his misbehavior, and he became a hog on this planet. ( Purport SB 3.30.5)

as scripture wanted person should  not drink to avoid consequences as scripture think if person drink then he will behave misbehavior or he can do wrong thing so avoid this scripture say no to alcohol from starting point

If the above statement is not mental speculation then kindly provide reference from scripture to support the above statement. 

he just drink in limited way without any harm to accompany freinds, he has desire to give company to freinds to avoid loneliness then what wrong with that

Thank you for mentioning the above. Why a person performs sin is not of relevance when sinful actions are being punished. The reason for performing sin does not make the sin right. But as mentioned above, such acts are much worse than a non-devotee performing sin. 

person also want to leave alcohol but due to get together pressure and loneliness feelings as we are staying in USA very limited Indian neighbors so during events and get together we drink. please suggest. 

Intense devotional service is capable of removing all material conditionings. But if somone is trying to justify and hold on to their material conditionings, then it is like trying to row the boat in two opposite directions at the same time. Devotional service can burn many lifetimes of sins and conditionings within no time.

Valmiki rishi, Mrigari, Ajamila were addicted to perform highly sinul activities on a daily basis. But by practice of chanting the holy names of Sri Krsna, they became purified saints. 

Hare Krsna

• In ajamala story he was Brahman he fall down he married to prosituute and did various sins !!  And did not leave all bad habits . In the age of 80 he becomes father of son .. and just by calling his son name due to attachment his alll sin got removed!!

now question how ??

he did not stopped all sinful activities only by chanting his son name his sin got cleared 

Hare Krishna!!

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

now question how ??

That is due to the power of offenseless chanting. 

he did not stopped all sinful activities only by chanting his son name his sin got cleared 

Yes, chanting of the holy names can remove unlimited amount of sins. But when Ajamila's sins were cleared, he did not again perform those sins. He performed intense pure devotional service for many years. When Ajamila was soing sinful acts he was not doing devotional service. WHen ajamila was doing devotional service he was not commiting sins or offences. 

Simply because I chanted the holy name of the Lord in the association of devotees, my heart is now becoming purified. Therefore I shall not fall victim again to the false lures of material sense gratification. Now that I have become fixed in the Absolute Truth, henceforward I shall not identify myself with the body. I shall give up false conceptions of “I” and “mine” and fix my mind on the lotus feet of Kṛṣṇa. ( SB 6.2.36-37)

In Hardwar, Ajāmila took shelter at a Viṣṇu temple, where he executed the process of bhakti-yoga. He controlled his senses and fully applied his mind in the service of the Lord. ( SB 6.2.40)

Ajāmila fully engaged in devotional service. Thus he detached his mind from the process of sense gratification and became fully absorbed in thinking of the form of the Lord. ( SB 6.2.41)

Accompanied by the order carriers of Lord Viṣṇu, Ajāmila boarded an airplane made of gold. Passing through the airways, he went directly to the abode of Lord Viṣṇu, the husband of the goddess of fortune.( SB 6.2.44)

Hare Krsna

This reply was deleted.