initiation

Hare Krishna everyone!

Its wonderful to be in this space sharing my thoughts with you all..

I have a question in my mind for which i am seeking an answer and will need your help..

My question is if someone has taken initiation outside iskcon (earlier in his life when he was not perfect in consciousness)and his guru is still present...but he still aspires to advance further in Krishna consciousness and perfect himself ....and for this purpose wants to take initiatio in Iskcon.. will he be eligible for it?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer

Hare Krsna Alka ji
          Humble obeisances

1) How do I decide I am ready for initiation?
          Initiation is a sacred ceremony where the aspiring disciple accepts guru infront of lots of people and take a vow infront of fire to follow the 4 regulative principles and chant minimum of 16 rounds everyday. But in truth, the disciple has to accept the spiritual master from heart. Once initiated, the disciple is supposed to give life for the service of spiritual master. That is why one should take time to choose spiritual master properly and take initiation only when he/she is sure he/she will be able to follow the principles strictly and also he/she knows what is the purpose of life , what is right attitude to spiritual master and has read scriptures to a good enough extent that he/she knows the fundamentals of spiritual life and is not following things sentimentally.
          Also, a person really gets inspired from a guru by hearing the voice of the guru.

2) Following 4 regulative principles and chanting 16 rounds is good enough for initiation?
          This is minimum. Along with this, the disciple should be ready to give life for the service of spiritual master and following his instructions.Of course the spiritual master gives instructions according to the level of disciple but from disciple side,he/she should be ready for all instructions.

3) What about putting tilak? Do we need to put it all the time. If one cannot put tilak all the time then does it stop them from taking initiation.
          We should put tilak all the time and when it is not possible to put tilak on forehead, we have to put water tilak. But Kanthimala is a must.There are somethings that can be done according to time,place and circumstances

4) What about eating(vegetarian food) outside once in a while ? Does that stop one from taking initiation?
          the disciple is supposed to eat only prasad(bhoga offered to Krsna) all the time and he/she is not supposed to eat outside without offering it to deities and the bhoga should be cooked by proper devotees. The disciple with permission of senior devotees can make some adjustments like taking fruits and milk but not in hotel or things like that.

5) And what about eating onion/garlic outside, does that also stop from taking initiation.
          Onion /garlic is prohibited for initiated devotees.

6) What about during traveling, we might not be able to serve food to Krishna 2 times, take care of the deities at home. Do we need somebody else to take care of deities at home when we are travelling.
          When travelling, devotees take their deities with them, as I have seen. We might not be able to follow full standards of offering at that time but have to take minimum care of the deities.

7) What is the minimum number of hours we need to spend on Krishna after initiation. I heard in some lecture that at least 4 hours is expected.
          I have not heard any minimum number of hours to be spent on Krsna. But I know this- we have to chant 16 rounds everyday for sure and to advance in Krsna consciousness , we have to do half an hour of book reading, half an hour of lecture hearing and other services to Krsna. Chanting 16 rounds is first priority both for initiated and non initiated devotees.

Please forgive me for any answers which are hurting or like that
          your servant

• Hare Krishna Prabhu ji please accept my sincere thanks for guiding us. Hare Krishna

• Hare Krishna Rakesh ji

Thank you for your detailed reply.

What is water tilak and kanthimala .

Hare Krishna

• Volunteer

Water tilak is applying vishnav tilak using water instead of Gopichandana. This is usually done when we are going out to school/college/office or to places where such display of religion is not appreciated. Kantimala is the tulsi neck beads which devotees wear for protection and increasing their devotion to Lord Krishna.

• Hare Krishna

Thank you so much...couldn't have expected a better answer...to this question...thanks for enlightening me with your knowledge..will keep this in mind..

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna Mataji. Danadavat Pranam. All glories To Srila Prabhupada

"There are four Sampradayas from the beginning of the creation. One is called Brahma Sampradaya, and is coming down by disciplic succession from Brahma; another Sampradaya is coming down from Laksmi, called Sri Sampradaya; another is coming down from the Kumaras, they are known as Nimbarka Sampradaya; another Sampradaya is coming from Lord Siva, Rudra Sampradaya or Visnu Swami. These are four bona fide Sampradayas that are accepted by the bona fide spiritualists. The Impersonalist Sampradaya is not original, neither the Impersonalist Sampradaya or party can help us. At the present moment there are so many Sampradayas, but we have to test them about their method of disciplic understanding. Anyway, all the four Sampradayas above mentioned, they are after worshipping the Supreme Lord Visnu, in His different Expansions, and some of them are in favor of worshipping Radha Krishna."

Srila Prabhupada Letter to Upendra, 02-13-68, Boston

So you can take initiation from any of the above mentioned 4 Vaishnava sampradayas

Hope it will help

your aspiring servant

Hari Bol

• Hare Krishna!

Thank you for enlightening me with your answer..it will certainly help..Hari Bol

• Volunteer

Hare Krsna

Humble obeisances

if the devotee has taken initiation from a bonafide spiritual master outside ISKCON it is perfect. It is generally not accepted to take initiation when one is initiated with one bonafide spiritual master. If the present bonafide spiritual master permits then the person can take initiation from another bonafide spiritual master.

If the previous spiritual master is not bonafide then surely, one can give up the previous spiritual master and take up initiation from a bonafide spiritual master.

Please forgive me if my words hurt in any way. No offenses meant.

your servant.

This reply was deleted.