How should a devotee deal with verbal abuse

Hare Krishna!!

Should a devotee going to college react and say something back if someone says something about him or should they just ignore and keep silent, tolerating the abuse. Also, should a devotee worry about their reputation in college and till what limit should a devotee tolerate it.

Please help clear my doubts.

Hare krishna 🙏🙏

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krishna Hare Rama.

Maybe bit more details is required to provide some answer to your question. What kind of verbal abuse or situation you'r in? If you provide some details , maybe solution is very simple. In teenage years usually problem are not that big but we think its big and takes unnecessary stress.

Also dont think youself different from nondevotees because in reality all jivas are part and parcel of Lord Krishna but due to maya influence we forgot and live materially. Due to Guru and Gauranga mercy we started being Krishna concious but we shouldn't get proud about it and think others as inferior. For the time being, keep outside appearance as normal like others , internally keep your sadhana going and later on by Guru and Gauranga mercy situation will be favourable.

In my college days, when i get easy access to spiritual knowledge due to Guru and Gauranga mercy i got some proud and started lecturing nondevotees which was not correct approach and its resulted in being targeted for same. Later on , instead of showing off to nondevotees, i kept myself outside appearance like others. I think best way to help others is to take them to temple on regular basis where we get lectures, prasadam, books and darshan.

Hope it helps. Haribol.

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

YOu are young, still in college and trying to find your feet in this world. Therefore it is important to set the rules for yourself. Would you want friends who make fun of your devotion to Krsna? YOu may want to associate with people who aer your age, fun and have common interests like you, at the same time, they are atleast able to accept your devotion to Krsna. 

Having said that, I woudl also lke to point out that there will always be people in our life who will irritate us and end up testing our patience. It is always a good idea to be patient and tolerant. At the same time, one has to be able to chant Hare Krsna. It should not be at the cost of our consciousness. 

Regarding reputation in college, how long is college - 2 years or 3 years? Who will remember after that? It is not a good idea to wear your devotion up your sleeve. Dont have to make things obvious by putting prominent tilak and mala bag to college. Play it down. Internalise. Keep the devotion in the heart, and externally be like any normal boy. 

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Hare Krsna prabhu ji, This material world is full of demoniac people, no matter wherever we go we have to deal with them. If it is possible try to avoid their association or even their sight. Associate with like minded frends or devotees. Whenever these demoniac people try to talk or abuse you tell them you are not interested in making friendship with people hurting you. for increasing tolerance going to temple, mixing with devotees, reading, hearing and chanting will help. 

This reply was deleted.