FOUND AN INCORRECT TRANSLATION IN THE ISOPANISHAD

So there is an incorrect translation I found in the Isopanishad, which was translated by Srila Prabhupadaji.

Verse 6, Sri Isopanishad:

yas tu sarvāṇi bhūtāny
ātmany evānupaśyati
sarva-bhūteṣu cātmānaṁ
tato na vijugupsate

His translation: He who systematically sees everything in relation to the Supreme Lord, who sees all living entities as His parts and parcels, and who sees the Supreme Lord within everything never hates anything or any being.

Where is "parts and parcels" mentioned in the shloka? This cannot be ignored because it changes the entire meaning of the verse and spreads wrong knowledge as the actual translation says:

"But one who sees all living beings in oneself and oneself in all beings, therefore, does not despise anyone."

and also he did not mention "parts and parcels" in the word-to-word translation but it was added in the main verse.

Prabhupadaji's word-to-word translation:

yaḥ — he who; tu — but; sarvāṇi — all; bhūtāni — living entities; ātmani — in relation to the Supreme Lord; eva — only; anupaśyati — observes in a systematic way; sarva-bhūteṣu — in every living being; ca — and; ātmānam — the Supersoul; tataḥ — thereafter; na — not; vijugupsate — hates anyone.

Considering this, can I really trust the authenticity of Iskcon's books?

Please Clarify this. Hare Krishna 🙏🙏

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• How can we reject ablsolute advaita ?

How can we? when almost everywhere in the vedas absolute advaita is accepted

Brihadaranyaka Upanishad, Shukla Yajur veda 1.4.10 Says:

brahma vā idamagra āsīt, tadātmānamevāvet, aham brahmāsmīti | tasmāttatsarvamabhavat; tadyo yo devānām pratyabubhyata sa eva tadabhavat, tathārṣīṇām, tathā manuṣyāṇām; taddhaitatpaśyannṛṣirvāmadevaḥ pratipede, aham manurabhavaṃ sūryaśceti |

tadidamapyetarhi ya evaṃ veda, aham brahmāsmīti, sa idaṃ sarvam bhavati, tasya ha na devāścanābhūtyā īśate, ātmā hyeṣāṃ sa bhavati; atha yo’nyāṃ devatāmupāste, anyo’sāvanyo’hamasmīti, na sa veda, yathā paśurevam sa devānām |

yathā ha vai bahavaḥ paśavo manuṣyam bhuñjyuḥ, evamekaikaḥ puruṣo devān bhunakti; ekasminneva paśāvādīyamāne’priyam bhavati, kiṃu bahuṣu? tasmādeṣām tanna priyam yadetanmanuṣyāvidyuḥ || 10 ||

"In the beginning, this universe was indeed Brahman. Then, it recognized itself as 'I am Brahman.' From that realization, the entire universe originated. Whatever deity one worships and meditates upon, that deity becomes, be it among the gods, sages, or humans. Reflecting on this truth, the sage Vamadeva declared, 'I am Manu, I am the sun.' One who understands this, saying 'I am Brahman,' becomes everything, and nothing is beyond their control. The essence of all these deities is their own self; therefore, one who worships other deities, thinking of them as separate, does not truly understand, just as a beast does not comprehend the nature of gods. Just as many animals consume a single man, similarly, one divine being consumes all gods. When one is pleased within oneself, everything becomes dear to them; but how can one find pleasure in many, when they do not recognize the self in others? Therefore, what people do not understand is not dear to them."

How can we still reject absolute Advaita even after this? There is a common misconception Shankara "gave a new doctrine (Advaita Vedanta). He was just another propagator of Advaita Vedanta. This verse completely agrees with Shankara's Advaita, and, what I feel is, calling advaitins as "mayavadis", "non-vedic" is absolutely wrong as all shankaracharya's teachings can be found in the Vedas, puranas. Also many other enlightened beings liek ramakrishna, vivekananda, paramahamsa yogananda....etc have accepted absolute advaita

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

How can we reject ablsolute advaita?

This question was asked by you and answer was given to the best of my abilities. If someone doesn't want to reject it, then there is no problem. Please feel free to follow whichever philosophy you want. But I do have a problem if you declare the content given by His Divine Grace Srila Prabhupada as incorerct based on certain interpretations. 

Because such a declaration would be incorrect. I am ok if someone disgrees with content given by Srila Prabhupada. 

Hare Krsna

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

There is plenty wrong with the translation.

Whatever deity one worships and meditates upon, that deity becomes, be it among the gods, sages, or humans.

The above statement is incorrect translation of  tadyo yo devānām pratyabubhyata sa eva tadabhavat

What I feel is, calling advaitins as "mayavadis", "non-vedic" is absolutely wrong

Personal feelings have no place whatsoever. Anyone who calls the absolute form of the Supreme Personality of Absolute truth as temporary is a mayavadi. Anyone who equates the jivatma to paramatma  without accounting for the difference is a mayavadi. Mayavada philosophy  is  bogus, poisonous and has no place in these forums. 

Also many other enlightened beings have accepted absolute advaita

It doesn't matter how many "enlightened beings" have accept mayavada, mayavada is completely bogus at its core. It is not acceptable. It is not tolerated here. 

Hare Krsna

• Br.Ar. Upanisad needs to be harmonized with Vedanta sutra, the conclusion of Upanisads.

"One who understands this, saying 'I am Brahman,' becomes everything, and nothing is beyond their control."

This is refuted in the last pada of Vs. (4.4.17-21) which further elaborates on the difference among liberated jivas and the Lord, not contended by Adi Sankara in his Sariraka bhasya.

Hari Hari

ys J.

• Note: I am neither an advaitin nor a vaishnava. But I do not reject the concept of Advaita and even Dvaita. Everything is true, but they are on different scales and levels is what i believe.

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

Everything is true, but they are on different scales and levels is what i believe.

That is acceptable. But the progression on those level is important, which is the highest purpose of  humanlife. 

Lord Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu has harmonised all the siddhantas namely 

Advaita (Sripada Adi Sankaracarya ), Vishistadvaita(Sripada Ramanujacarya) , Dvaita (Sripada Madhwacarya),  Dvaitadvaita ( Sri Nimarakacarya) and Shuddhadvaita (Sri Vishnu Swami)  into one known as Acintya Bheda Abheda tattva. 

Hare Krsna

This reply was deleted.