Hare Krishna,

ŚB 6.4.9

अन्नं चराणामचरा ह्यपद: पादचारिणाम् ।
अहस्ता हस्तयुक्तानां द्विपदां च चतुष्पद: ॥ ९ ॥
annaṁ carāṇām acarā
hy apadaḥ pāda-cāriṇām
ahastā hasta-yuktānāṁ
dvi-padāṁ ca catuṣ-padaḥ

By nature’s arrangement, fruits and flowers are considered the food of insects and birds; grass and other legless living entities are meant to be the food of four-legged animals like cows and buffalo; animals that cannot use their front legs as hands are meant to be the food of animals like tigers, which have claws; and four-legged animals like deer and goats, as well as food grains, are meant to be the food of human beings.

Then why it is a sin to eat meat ?

In God's design, one living being is the food of other living beings. Then how can we say He is compassionate ?

Lord Krishna never spoke on the topic of animal killing and meat eating. Nor did Lord Rama.

Moreover they hunted animals in the forest. ( May be Kshatriya Dharma ).

Lord Krishna silently watched, when arjuna hunted down many birds trying to escape during Khandava dahana.

Only devotees like Prabhupada , bhishma and narada showed compassion to animals.

It seems that devotees are more  compassionate than Him.

I am wondering, when God himself is indifferent  and silent, why meat eating should be a serious topic among devotees ?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

Then why it is a sin to eat meat ?

1. Do you know anyone who will agree to be come meat ? Just put yourself in the place of the person who is being killed. 

2. Would you agree to become meat ?

3. If a person kills you and eats you, should he be punished or rewarded for killing ?

Please care to answer these 3 questions if you want me to answer the remaining of your questions. 

Hare Krsna 

• Manu smriti in ch. 5 gives regulations for flesh eating and at the end of that passage it states:

na mAMsa bhakSaNe doSo na madye na ca maithune
    pravRttir eSA bhUtAnAM nivRttis tu mahAphalA

To eat meat (mamsa), to drink alcohol (madye) and to have sex (maithune) are not sins (na doso) for created beings (bhutanam) at the level of pravrtti(-marga), but to stop these (nivrtti) brings great results (mahaphala). (Ms. 5.56)

Pravrtti-marga is a dharma-regulated activity, i.e. in sync with dharmasastras. Krisna says the same about sex in BG 7.11: dharmAviruddho bhUteSu kAmo 'smi bharatarSabha - I'm sex (kama) not in conflict with dharma (dharma aviruddha).

BG is bringing us from the level of pravrtti-marga to the level of nivrtti-marga.

Hari Hari
    ys J.

• Yes,

I agree sastras like manu smriti  spoke about meat eating.

Bhishma gave lengthy discourse to Yudhistira about abstenstion from meat eating.

But, I never found anywhere Lord Krishna touching this topic.

Because people are always eager to hear directly from Lord on such  serious topics.

• "But, I never found anywhere Lord Krishna touching this topic."

BG 9.26 follows up on Ms. 5.56, mahaphala = bhakti.

Ahimsa is not absolute "nonviolence" in the Jain style. It is a minimized, sastra-regulated violence.

Hari Hari
        ys J.

• Not answering the question directly because somewhere you know the answer.

A different point pulled from your writing..."when God himself is indifferent and silent.."

Well he is God , isn't he?

Why Krishna does something or when he doesn't.It is never up for jurisdiction by anybody..

So the thing is we can't really draw perfect conclusions from the erratic behavior of Krishna.Of course it isn't erratic , it just seems so..

Having said the above mentioned words it is not to say that we should not draw perfect conclusions from perfect behavior of God like that of Lord Rama.

• Bg. 3.21

यद्यदाचरति श्रेष्ठस्तत्तदेवेतरो जनः ।
      स यत्प्रमाणं कुरुते लोकस्तदनुवर्तते ॥ २१ ॥

Whatever action a great man performs, common men follow. And whatever standards he sets by exemplary acts, all the world pursues

•   My point is when He himself is not enthusiastically and proactively advocating nonviolence towards animals, why should His devotees do ?

Why will  men giveup meat eating, when God doesn't say single word about meat eating ?

• Your question in a more generalised fashion would be .." why should we stay away from the negative allure, when we don't really want to"

I may ask that even if Lord makes a perfect list of do's and dont's,what is the use of it?

An exemplary behavior set forth can't take away the negative allure.Can it?

• My question in a more generalised fashion is .." why will people stay away from some thing , when God Himself  does not forbid it and is not concerned ?"

• Then what is the meaning of above verse ?

Ok, If you can give me a reference, where Lord spoke about meat eating, please give to me.

Bcoz, may be I couldn't find it. Bcoz vedic literature is very vast.

Suppose, 

you are trying to educate a person, a relative or a friend, 

meat eating is wrong.

He will ask you, Did your God say that ? 

Then what will you say ?

I know wicked men never change even if God himself tries to convince them.

But men in general listen to a great person. Who is greater than God ?

That's why people are curious to know His opinion.

This reply was deleted.