Wich direction must a deitie face?

Haribol,

In the Agni Purana is a lot to read about the positions of deities. I am shure Prabhupada said something about this too, I don't know where to find his quote on this subject. Please send me all quotes Prabhupada said wich direction a altar/deitie must face. And are Purana's a higher authoraty or our spiritual teacher? It makes me a little uncomfortable. I read a lot and what is said by Sri Krishna in Purana's can I (we) 'just'ignore it because our spiritual teacher says otherwise or if it it not meant for this Kali Yuga? I mean there are many Kali Yuga's in the life of 1 Bramha, but only once Sri Krishna Gopala appears someone told me. So the other 99 kali Yuga's in the life of Bramha are 'less' important?? Or all the other 99 Kali Yuga's what is said by Krishna is less imporant than the one who spoke the Gita? So other purana's in other yuga's are 'just' to be ignored for this Kali Yuga? 

Understand wht I am asking; the position of Krishna face to wich direction second; if a purana as Agni says otherwise than Prabhupada, what to do? Agni Purana is very clear about the 10 avatars in wich direction they all face per avatar. The gesture;"it is not for this age and time" please tell me why and where I can find it to be bonafide to explain others like visitors who come here to visit my altar. So I can explain them and avoide speculative discussions.

Thank you very much.

Hare Krishna! 

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ask a madhwa pandit... They follow all these rules properly... Nd will clear ur doubt... 

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

I have not read Agni Purana, so cannot comment on what is mentioned there, Our principal scriptures are BHagavad Gita, SrimadBhagawatam and Chaitanya Charitamrta. We read those and follow those to the extent possible,

Regarding which direction Deity should face, it is west or north as per vastu. I am not sure, would be mentioned in Srimad Bhagawtam as well, Canto 11 chapter on deity worship. Sorry, unable to check right now. 

You are free to do whatever is comfortable for you. Please understand that Srila Prabhupada didnt have time to teach his (mostly western) devotees everything. Even eclipse restrictions that we follow are very different from what rest of India follows. So some things we pick up from our scriptures, some we continue the way Srila Prabhupada taught us. It is on individual devotee. What Srila Prabhupada taught us unequivocally is to chant the mahamantra at all times, in all circumstances. If we do that, these confusions will reduce to a large extent.

Best of luck prabhuji.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

This reply was deleted.