Hare Krishna to all Dear devotees !

Please accept my apologies today because I want to do some argument but my Lord Krishna knows my intention is not to argue but just to enlighten myself with the knowledge you have so that veil of darkness created by my ignorance can be lifted up.

My question what is the importance of keeping Srimad Bhagwatam at our home. After all it is printed paper only I agree that it is not paper only because the stories of God is written on it but this is a fact that it is printed o paper only. I think the main and real purpose is to read the Bhagvatam and not to keep it at home and if the purpose can be fulfilled by reading and studying it online then what is the reason to buy it. It is not eco friendly also. Trees need to be cut to make the paper. Why to waste the money on papers? Even if I accept that to encourage people to read and studying Bhagwatam, we have to sell and distribute the books because people will find easy to read the book rather than to study it online but the person who is already a devotee and serious in krishna consciousness do not need any easy approach to study Bhagwatam , He/ she can study it online also.

I am really sorry I know my question is offensive but I just want to enlighten myself.

Hare Krishna

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Mataji,

PAMHO.

Just adding my tuppence to the discussion.

Srimad Bhagawatam is God in book form. I was even told that in case we are unable to touch the altar, we can offer prasadam to Srimad Bhagwatam and it will be accepted. That is how powerful that "book" is. 

If you are comfortable reading online, please do so. THat will have its package of health and environmental concerns, I am sure you are aware. 

Regarding trees being cut to print Bhagwatam, that will happen regardless of whether SB is printed on the paper or some other mundane literature. So dont worry about it.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

I'm not sure if I'm qualified to answer this as I myself read more from computer than from book. 

In addition to whatever was presented by Parul pr and Krsna pr, another reason is that we use computer for many other worldly things. So certainly the instrument of reading bhagavatam online, the electronic device is contaminated. On the other hand the paper book bhagavatam is exclusively for reading or serving bhagavtam. Hence even the instrument or the book is sanctified. This affects concentration to a considerable extent. 

For searching, quoting and reading at work etc, electronic devices r handy. But for self study - paper books are reccommened for better concentration, absorption & deeper impact. 

YS Bharat

• Hare Krishna Mata Ji.

Please do not feel offensive after reading my reply and please accept my apologies again because there is still something which is not satisfactory.

your answer of my first question that'' what is the importance of keeping Srimad Bhagwatam at our home'' is satisfactory but next two are not because I agree that Krishna is the proprietor of everything and father of all living being in the universe (as there is difference btw tree and thing, even the tree has soul) but no father wants that his son or daughter should be slaughtered for more than a necessity ( as we cut the vegetables because to satisfy our hunger as it is utmost necessary to do that )  but to cut the tree just to print on it is not justified I already mentioned that it is ok for the people who are not much serious but to feel duty bound for the person who is devotee (who consider himself and in reality also is a servant of  krishna) to read Srimad Bhagwatam online is not related to false ego ( I do not feel egoistic if I think I can do this online, it just a real duty)

• Volunteer

Hare krsna,

Wow mataji, the below lines are the compassionate nature of a true vaishnanava(i).. Dandwats to you.

I agree that Krishna is the proprietor of everything and father of all living being in the universe (as there is difference btw tree and thing, even the tree has soul) but no father wants that his son or daughter should be slaughtered for more than a necessity ( as we cut the vegetables because to satisfy our hunger as it is utmost necessary to do that )  but to cut the tree just to print on it is not justified I already mentioned that it is ok for the people who are not much serious but to feel duty bound for the person who is devotee (who consider himself and in reality also is a servant of  krishna) to read Srimad Bhagwatam online is not related to false ego ( I do not feel egoistic if I think I can do this online, it just a real duty)

Please dont take offense to my response...

There is a story about krsna's flute where the bamboo allows krsna to turn him into krsna's favorite instrument. The bamboo had to go through torture to be transformed into something beautiful... If you think along the same lines,, the trees that are cut to be transformed into papers so they can be printed with beautiful and nectarean krsna and krsna bhakth stories, the trees will feel themselves fortunate. They already provide great service to everyone and if they allow themselves to be used further in the service of the vaishnavas by becoming the literature that can be used everyday, isnt that a wonderful thing?? Isnt that an elevated status??

Coming to your point, I DO agree if the trees are cut for some mundane novel or magazine, then it is not the right thing. But in the case of Krsna consciousness, when something or everything is used for Krsna's happiness, then there is no sin/wrong on our part even though on the outside it might look like it is not right..

I like to have a book to read rather than an online version but thats just me.. I have read many novels before and online reading doesnt come close to giving the same experience and contentment that a physical book provides.. Likewise, Bhagavatam or any other sacred scriptures provide the same fulfilment of connection when held and respected.. A book can be worshipped, given as gifts to other vaishnavas or anyone...

Dont get me wrong, I still respect your views about not cutting the trees for the satisfaction of making papers out of it,, but scriptures are an exception, I feel.

Sorry if my response offends anyone. Please forgive me.

All glories to Srila Prabhupad, Guru and Gauranga!!!

Hare krsna.

• Volunteer

Hare krsna mataji,

All glories to Srila Prabhupad!!!

I really like questions like this.. I will try to respond to your query with my limited understanding. please forgive for any offenses.

Bhagavatam is not just like another book.. It is amala puran.. Few meanings of Amala is "pure", "spotless". So if you have a physical copy of it, you are associating with a pure manifestation of the Lord. You are physically placing something pure and spotless in your home/altar thereby you sanctify your home. It is like placing one of Lord's energy (which is powerful) in your home and get energized by constantly and regularly reading from it. It elevates the environment and our consciousness. Holding the book in your hand is engaging one of your senses (of touch) to connect with the Lord. The content between physical book and the online version is the same, but the feeling of connection is NOT. To give an example, seeing your favorite sports or film star on the movie screen and seeing them in person is NOT the same, seeing them in person makes a real connection with them, doesnt it?

Like in the below response, Parul prabhuji has correctly stated, the nama, the bhasha and the kriya are all energies of the lord. We use the energy given by the Lord to connect with Him. It gives pleasure to Him and giving Him pleasure is our ultimate goal.

This is my limited knowledge mataji. Hope my response helps.

All glories to Guru and Gauranga.

Hare krsna.

• Hare krishna Pr Ji,

thanks for the wonderful and most satisfactory  reply.

• In-depth meaning G ?
    Light is a factor in salvation salutations & Shelter ETc.
    ETC. The book probably holds light like the words of VossueDavah
    By Light we thrive recover Light shows the way by which we can be reconciled in Intergraty light
    is"
    Found.
    However, as for as now,
    Intergraty is hear only in ISKCON
    Hear to Light it U p
    UNCONDITIONALY ?
    DARMA "=
    DARSHON=
    IN Depth Light
    Ah
    Bow
    We Should all
    Shine ur joy* Becuse U-
    ISKCON alone
    R- THE rerbengers INFALLIBLE
    Truth.
    My glory is being in your service.
    ji ji (HH)'s aim to deliver "The PurGrace, of HARE!
    IT is done!
  • You will damage your eyesight reading online. Sb is so big. And simply reading slokas is not enough. Reading purport is even more important becoz slokas have more indepth meaning. Anyways descision is yours

• I wasn't asking this question for taking my decision whether  to buy it or not, I was asking it to increase my knowledge and I think the following paragraph is the wonderful answer of my question which is given to me by Krishna das pr ji.

Bhagavatam is not just like another book.. It is amala puran.. Few meanings of Amala is "pure", "spotless". So if you have a physical copy of it, you are associating with a pure manifestation of the Lord. You are physically placing something pure and spotless in your home/altar thereby you sanctify your home. It is like placing one of Lord's energy (which is powerful) in your home and get energized by constantly and regularly reading from it. It elevates the environment and our consciousness. Holding the book in your hand is engaging one of your senses (of touch) to connect with the Lord. The content between physical book and the online version is the same, but the feeling of connection is NOT. To give an example, seeing your favorite sports or film star on the movie screen and seeing them in person is NOT the same, seeing them in person makes a real connection with them, doesnt it?

Like in the below response, Parul prabhuji has correctly stated, the nama, the bhasha and the kriya are all energies of the lord. We use the energy given by the Lord to connect with Him. It gives pleasure to Him and giving Him pleasure is our ultimate goal

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna

@Bharat Prabhuji: I completely agree with you Prabhuji. I was heard very same explanation from one of very senior and old aged Guruji too.

Both form, a Book and digital, have their significance and nasasities as per time, place and circumstances.

As per time, our approach and way of finding knowledge also dramatically changing. That is the nature of this material world.

Why to even use digital platform? That is also a biggest cause of Green Gas, a root cause of Global Warming! Isn't it? In olden age there were no uses of paper but leaf paper and even before that brain were so powerful that they uses to hear once and remember for rest of their life. But our Rishi Munis saw with their transcendental vision that in present age, our brain will become so dull that if someone ask our birth date or other details then need to find it in Mobile! As time passes, we will need to see what's our name or how it spell!!!

So, my point is, we have to use digital things as much as we need them and must put aside and take paper book in our hand. Because of book form we came to know what Bhagavatam is!

Book form is the best form with whom we can associate easily, anytime, anywhere, no dependency (electricity) etc where all other way after that are just for our convenience only!

In conclusion, we must learn to based our life on long lasting version of eternal knowledge given by our Rishi Munis, Acharyas, Goswamis and Gurus. There is no REPLACEMENT FOR WRITTEN OR PRINTED FORM OF SPIRITUAL KNOWLEDGE. There may be a different time saving way to approach it, as per needed but DIgital Bhagavatam can't be replacement of BOOK BHAGAVATAM. Just imagine a world without Spirituality!!! After all, materialistic people are going to use paper and destroy nature then why can't make positive use of that paper to save environment? The percentage of paper used by spiritual community is nothing in comparison of what material community using... Spiritual book are revolution and can change whole world...

"One day in the car he (Srila Prabhupada) had said, "My books will be the law-books for human society for the next ten thousand years."

Jai Srila Prabhupada!!!

This reply was deleted.