Why to Worship deities ?

Hare Krishna to all devotees !!!

PAMHO !!!

AGTSP !!!

Deity worship is very important in our religion being the point connecting us to god.

But what I don't understand that why is a deity so important ?

Its a statue and not the real manifestation of god ?

All the other religions blaspheme deity worship claiming that ,there is always a creation and a creator.Like this entire universe and all the living entities in it are creation and Krishna is the creator. So if humans are creating a deity than by that logic that deity is a creation and humans are the creator.So what makes the deity worshipful ?

I have a very little knowledge about it.SO please forgive me If I have offended in any sense to any one.I would request all Prabhuji's and mataji's to throw some light on this servant of your.

Dasanudasanudas,

Shivang.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krishna Rohit prabhu and Srijon prabhu !!!

PAMHO !!!

AGTSP !!!

Thanks for the replies !!!

Sorry for my ignorance but I am still not convinced. 

What I believe is that god is in our consciousness and not elsewhere.If my consciousness is very strong and whole heart'edly I love him. I can connect to him where ever I want so then do I need a deity for worship ?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Your humble servant ,

Shivang.T

• Sevak

God-Krishna is all-pervading. He is everywhere. But we cannot see Him everywhere. But if we put a deity in a spot then God appears there in His deity incarnation. That worship goes directly to God. While if we worship an toy thinking it to be God since God is everywhere it doesn't go reach God.

Your Servant.

Hari Bol! 

• Hare Krishna Prabhuji

What I believe is...

An idol, a stone, a wood  etc when worshiped with devotion becomes a deity.

It's easy to absorb anything if it's in a pictorial/visual form. Off course God is in our consciousness , but tell me without any visualization, how long can that consciousness be with you.Not even 2 seconds in this kalyug.

Look at the Krishna's photo and then close your eyes and try to visualize that in your mind, you can be in that consciousness for couple of seconds till that picture is clear in your mind, one's it's fades away or cannot be visualized the consciousness also goes away(we lose concentration).

Same with Krishna's maha mantra. When we chant if we visualize that word "Krishna" in your mind with every chant we are in his consciousness but once we stop visualizing the word "Krishna", we lose concentration.

Can you be in a consciousness of some random object that you have never ever seen? you cannot be. We need to see by eyes even to visualize by mind for us to be in that consciousness.

Hare Krishna

• Sevak

Hare Krishna. PAMHO. AGTSP. 

Krishna is accessible to us at all times through His deity manifestation. The deity, also known as the arca- murti (“form for worship”), comes to the world to bestow mercy on the devotees by allowing them to see Him face to face and serve Him directly. By seeing and serving the deity, devotees fix their minds on the form of the Lord. Vedic literature describes in detail how to worship the Lord in this world in His deity form.

Krishna's deity is non-different from Him as Krishna has an authorized representation in the Deity form, which is called arca-vigraha. This arca-vigraha is an incarnation of Krishna. Krishna will accept service through that form.

Though the arca-murtis seem to be made of material elements such as clay, wood, metal, or stone, They are identical with the forms of the Lord in the spiritual world. These forms are in the vaibhava-vilasa category.

In Sri Chaitanya-caritamrita (Madhya 20.217) Srila Prabhupada comments: “The deity in the temple, however, is visible to the material eyes of the devotee. It is not possible for one in material, conditioned life to see the spiritual form of the Lord. To bestow causeless mercy upon us, the Lord appears as the arca- murti so that we can see Him… . No one should consider the deity in the temple to be made of stone or wood… . Nor should anyone consider the Hare Krishna maha-mantra to be a material vibration. All these expansions of Krishna in the material world are simply demonstrations of the Lord’s mercy and willingness to give facility to His devotees who are engaged in His devotional service within the material world.”

If I put a facsimile of a mailbox in my front yard, it will not be authorized by the post office. I can mail letters in it as much as I want, but they will not go anywhere. But if I mail letters in a mail box authorized by the post office, they will go their destination, even if I live at a far distance from the post office.

An idol is an unauthorized "mail box", and a deity is an authorized "mail box." Even though the Lord is far away in His spiritual abode, He agrees to accept loving service and fully manifest His divine presence in the authorized deity form which is worshipped with love. The Bible condemns idol worship, just the Vedas condemn idol worship. The compilers of the Bible were not aware of the legitimacy of authorized deity worship, otherwise they would have recommended it in the Bible.

Your Servant.

Hari Bol! 

This reply was deleted.