Why does Krishna in Chapter 2 , text 33-36 tell Arjuna to fight otherwise he will lose his name, fame, reputation and honour ?

Doesnt these things relate to the body ? Are they not on the material platform ? So why should Arjuna care ?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sometimes I feel krishna ruined arjuna reputation. In viraat yudh arjuna single handedly defeated all and in kwar krishna did all sorts of nasty things especially regarding bhisma rest all dontt' matter. 

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

This is the reason why we conditioned living entities are stuck in material world. Because we tend to use our tiny brains & ever changing feelings to misunderstand & judge the  supreme personality absolute truth. 

Krsna whatever He does is always good for all living entities. Whether He kills Hiranyakasipu or protects Prahlad, it is the best for them - both get liberated. That is the meaning of absolute truth. 

This is also the reason why most readers of BG have missed the most essential message within it. This is why BG is considered an open secret. Some people get more bewildered after reading BG. 

The effect of understanding BG on Arjuna is this 

arjuna uvaca
      nasto mohah smrtir labdha
      tvat-prasadan mayacyuta
      sthito 'smi gata-sandehah
      karisye vacanam tava

Arjuna said, My dear Krsna, O infallible one, my illusion is now gone. I have regained my memory by Your mercy, and I am now firm and free from doubt and am prepared to act according to Your instructions. 18.73

If we as readers do no share similar transformation then it is better to reflect on where we need to improve. 

Hare Krsna

• Yes you are right in the first paragraph hence I sought answers from iskcon but the answer by prabhu chaitanya charan das were not at all convincing.  I have easily shut others mouth regarding drona jayadratha karna duryodhan but not found a suitable answer regarding bhisma. 

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

It is never about shutting someone's mouth regarding anything. BG is for our own internal journey towards Supreme personality of Godhead Krsna. 

We should be more concerned if our own illusions are are gone rather than if Arjuna's were gone when Abhimanyu was killed. For Arjuna, Krsna was there to take care. For us it is Krsna in the for of BG. But the sad part is most people tend to miss the essence. 

Hare Krsna

• It is and I am not talking about bg I am saying about ill ppl speak about pandavas killing the above mentioned warriors.  May be you don' know these days duryodhan dushaSan karna have become pious ppl especially that karna has becomw a bigger god than krishna whereas pandavas have become adharmi . The reason I mentioned abhimanyu was to counter your comment that arjun said understood bg.

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

It is the effect of Kaliyuga that people think that Duryodhana, Dushashana, Karna, Ravana, Suprankha are heroes and nothing wrong in whatever they did. What is important for us to understand what we think - are they heroes or are they on the wrong side of God. Once you are convinced, and if you do your sadhana properly, these things will not bother you.

Just to answer you, it is the degradation of society that Suprankha's propositioning Ram and Lakshman is considered normal today, freedom of expressing desire. If you go little further, Ravana's mother was a demoness who propositioned a brahmana (father of Kuber) ( I am forgetting all names), that she wanted a able male child and he oblidged (gave her 4 children at a time actually). THe difference in that episode and Suprankha is that, here the brothers Ram and Lakshman declined her offer for whatever reasons, and she proceeded to harm Sita out of rage and jealousy. I hope you understand this. 

Arjuna understood Gita, thats why he was able to fight the war, as a way of submitting to the will of God, as against fighting the war to defeat his cousins so that he could rule the world. 

Criticising Bhisma pitamah's death - Pitamah was silent at the time of Draupadi's cheer haran, I am sure you know that. He became indebted to the throne of Hastinapur and failed to guide at the crucial moment. Even today, such an incident with any family's daughter in law, in front of all family elders, is unthinkable. Imagine what a shameful act it was in those times, that too royal family. So it was not a small error done by Pitamah. 

Apart from that, Amba was innocent - yet she was rejected by everyone, Vicitravirya because she declared love for another, her lover because she was won by Bhisma. She had become shelterless. Thats why the curse and having to take multiple births to fulfill that deep rooted desire. 

Now I will ask you prabhu, is it possible to explain everything by logic? that too human emotions and actions? I am sure the answer is no. One has to try to understand where a certain historical character comes from and what is the mentality of those times. 

My suggestion is if you are unable to understand anything or accept explanations on anything, you park it in your mind and chant nicely. Over some time, you will be able to understand it better.

The purpose of all this study is to delve within oneself, to internalise the understanding. Not to win arguments or make people shut up. These incidents in history are there for us to understand that the more we surrender to the supreme lord, the more our chances of success in our ventures. We are not succeeding on our merit, it is the mercy of the lord and His devotees that we are able to succeed.
              Haribol,
              Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• More than the effect of kali it is the idiotic tv directors who have ruined pandavas image by showing all sorts of nonsense.  For e.x. there is not a single mb translation where draupadi says andhe ka putra andha. Shutting others mouth doesnt mean I am showing my superiority. I  put logical arguments so that ppl speaking crap come to their senses. For e.x.  ppl feel arjun is nothing without krishna. He could not kill jayadratha without krishna help. Yes that' true but why did that situation arose? If arjuna had not takeneed a vow then he would have finished jayadratha in just a minute. More over jayadratha was kept at a distance of 20 miles.  So by the time he reached there fighting all it was nearing sunset. So how can any one demean arjuna.  Its not very wise to keep quite otherwise ppl feel krishna is supporter of loosers and adharmi and actually nothing can be understood from mb

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

Please try to understand what I am saying with a cool head. I agree with you that when people talk about historical characters like Arjuna and Bhisma, they should be informed properly and if they are not, we should correct them. What I am trying to tell you is - the way you are writing, it appears that you are debating to win, rather than to explain. As you know, our activity remains the same, only our consciousness changes when we progress in spirituality. Krsna pays attention to our intention, not to the outcome. 

Like how you have mentioned, More than the effect of kali it is the idiotic tv directors who have ruined .... - how did the idiotic TV director and the idiotic TV come in the first place? Because of the effect of kali only na. It appears your purpose is to have the last word, doesnt it?

Another humble request is that instead of explaining to others, you understand yourself. Internalise prabhuji. I dont think we are able to explain this aspect to you. Ones who are demeaning Arjuna will come around, when they see how well mannered, polite, compassionate, at peace and happy you are.

I dont mean to offend you in any manner. Today I have tried to tell you what I have been noticing in your posts for a long time. If you felt bad, my humble obeisances at your feet prabhuji. Please step back a minute and think what I am trying to convey. 

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• None of my comments are what you think. Maybe Thats my style of writing  and even if you think they are like winning debates it' much better than harsh insulting words used here by devotees several times and I am sorry to say you are involved in quite a few of them hence I don' ask any questions.  Who wants to spoil ones mood. Only twice i had used some rude words to Bharat and i have apologised for that. it seems whatever  one thinks is right and others are wrong. You have serious misunderstandings about me. I never wished to have the last word. I have thanked you and bharat quite a few times for correcting me. You have forgotten but I have not. Now coming to the main point you cannot blame everything on kali. There was an idiot called paundrak in dvapar yuga who said he was CMD of the universe.  Should we blame dvapar yuga? Even the worst person in kali doest say that. Similarly there was another idiot called king vena perhaps in satya yuga. Should we blame satya yuga?

• One more thing arjuna said his illusions are gone and ....... but he could not tolerate abhimanyu death became furious and so whatever he said above had zero value for a while . 

This reply was deleted.