--- Why did Bhakta Dhruv Lament ?---

Śrī Vidura inquired: My dear brāhmaṇa, the abode of the Lord is very difficult to attain. It can be attained only by pure devotional service, which alone pleases the most affectionate, merciful Lord. Dhruva Mahārāja achieved this position even in one life, and he was very wise and conscientious. Why, then, was he not very pleased?

Maitreya answered: Dhruva Mahārāja’s heart, which was pierced by the arrows of the harsh words of his stepmother, was greatly aggrieved, and thus when he fixed upon his goal of life he did not forget her misbehavior. He did not demand actual liberation from this material world, but at the end of his devotional service, when the Supreme Personality of Godhead appeared before him, he was simply ashamed of the material demands he had in his mind.

Dhruva Mahārāja thought to himself: To endeavor to be situated in the shade of the lotus feet of the Lord is not an ordinary task, because even the great brahmacārīs headed by Sanandana, who practiced aṣṭāṅga-yoga in trance, attained the shelter of the Lord’s lotus feet only after many, many births. Within six months I achieved the same result, yet due to my thinking differently from the Lord, I fell down from my position.

Alas, just look at me! I am so unfortunate. I approached the lotus feet of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who can immediately cut the chain of the repetition of birth and death, but still, out of my foolishness, I prayed for things which are perishable.

Since all the demigods who are situated in the higher planetary system will have to come down again, they are all envious of my being elevated to Vaikuṇṭhaloka by devotional service. These intolerant demigods have dissipated my intelligence, and only for this reason could I not accept the genuine benediction of the instructions of Sage Nārada.

Dhruva Mahārāja lamented: I was under the influence of the illusory energy; being ignorant of the actual facts, I was sleeping on her lap. Under a vision of duality, I saw my brother as my enemy, and falsely I lamented within my heart, thinking, “They are my enemies.”

It is very difficult to satisfy the Supreme Personality of Godhead, but in my case, although I have satisfied the Supersoul of the whole universe, I have prayed only for useless things. My activities were exactly like treatment given to a person who is already dead. Just see how unfortunate I am, for in spite of meeting the Supreme Lord, who can cut one’s link with birth and death, I have prayed for the same conditions again.

Because of my state of complete foolishness and paucity of pious activities, although the Lord offered me His personal service, I wanted material name, fame and prosperity. My case is just like that of the poor man who, when he satisfied a great emperor who wanted to give him anything he might ask, out of ignorance asked only a few broken grains of husked rice.

The great sage Maitreya continued: My dear Vidura, persons like you, who are pure devotees of the lotus feet of Mukunda [the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who can offer liberation] and who are always attached to the honey of His lotus feet, are always satisfied in serving at the lotus feet of the Lord. In any condition of life, such persons remain satisfied, and thus they never ask the Lord for material prosperity.

--- Srimad Bhagvatam 4.9.29 —36

For getting more compilation from Srimad Bhagavatam on regular basis and also post quotes from the books of various acharyas which can encourage devotees in their Krishna Consciousness. They are all available at below links:

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/brajsunderdas.
Twitter id: https://twitter.com/Brajsunder_das .

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• i heard in the lecture last sunday that devotees must be very careful in desiring anything . Because krsna might just fulfill it .
    for example : dhruv maharaja desired for a kingdom greater than brahma ,but after seeing the lord he gave up that desire .but still the lord considered it & made him ruler of dhruv loka .
    Now guru maharaja said although vaikuntha & goloka are both spiritual abodes of the lord ,still goloka is better because it is more fun . krsna is more fun & sweet
    so dhruv always stays serving lord hari in dhruvloka .And he is satisfied with that . but prabhupad is giving us a chance to go to goloka .thus we are considered more fortunate .
    even bali maharaja desired the post of Indra & after meeting lord vamana ,his desire vanished . but still lord fulfills his desire (bali maharaja will become the next Indra after this millennium ).so by then most of us would be back to godhead . Thus guru maharaja says we are more fortunate than dhruv & bali maharaja because lord Chaitanya is giving us vraja bhakti through prabhupad .
    "------therefore we must not ask krsna for anything else other than this " My dear Lord how can I serve You ,how can I please You ------"
    Thankyou
    hare krsna !!
    Jai Sacinandana Gaurahari !!
    Jai srila prabhupad !!!
  • Volunteer
    Thank you Brajsunder Prabhu for the nice Krishna katha.
    “Kṛṣṇa says, ‘If one engages in My transcendental loving service but at the same time wants the opulence of material enjoyment, he is very, very foolish. Indeed, he is just like a person who gives up ambrosia to drink poison.
    “‘Since I am very intelligent, why should I give this fool material prosperity? Instead I shall induce him to take the nectar of the shelter of My lotus feet and make him forget illusory material enjoyment.’
    Madya 22.38.
This reply was deleted.