Which Temples have a strict "dress code"?

I heard about a lady who went to an ISKCON Temple for Mongal Arotik. She was not wearing a sari and was told that she couldn't attend Mongal Arotik because she was not wearing a sari. Does anyone know which Temples have a strict dress code? I know the Temples in the USA do not have strict dress codes.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Many Temples in India follow the dress code, but not that completely, only in ISKCON temples u can see mataji's in saris
  • E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Mataji,

PAMHO.

Mayapur temple is strict about dress code for matajis. It need not be a saree - it can be gopi dress or salwar kameez with dupatta. The idea is to cover up for women. Jeans is not allowed at all for men or women.

You can wear salwar kameez with dupatta - that should not be a hassle to wear. It is convenient, covers up and available ready made. Till you come to India and buy, maybe you could get full length skirts or wraparounds (opaque, legs should not be seen though them, else you wear a petticoat underneath), match them with a loose T Shirt with sleeves and a dupatta on top. That will also be allowed. Sleeveless dresses will not be allowed.

It will help if you wear vaishnava tilak also.

Hare KRsna,

Krsna is waiting to meet you in Sridham Mayapur. Hurry up mataji.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Rashmi

• Hare Krishna Rashmi

Thanks for letting me know. I don't mind wearing long skirts with a blouse or T-shirt. I guess thats OK for Mayapur?

I always make sure I am covered up properly. At a USA Temple, one of our Indian male quests wore his pajamas to Mongal Arotik. No one criticized him. We were just happy that he was able to make it to Mongal Arotik.

• This reply was deleted.
    • Hare Krishna kamlesh patel

Yes I will definitely have to call first before I make any kind of travel plans. I sure hope Mayapur does not have a" strict dress code".  I am hoping to visit Mayapur someday. If Mayapur has a strict dress code then I will not visit.

• I am hoping to visit Mayapur in the future. Does anyone know if the Mayapur Temple has a strict "dress code"? I think saris look nice but I personally found them to be "very uncomfortable" for myself. I don't want to spend a bunch of money going to visit Temples outside the USA who won't allow me to attend Mongal Arotik. Thanks

This reply was deleted.