hare krishna to all Vaishnavas,

All glories to Srila Prabhupada,

Mayawadi groups often quote this shloka to show that Guru is incarnation of God or God himself.

GURUR BRAHMA,
GURUR VISHNU,
GURUR DEVO MAHESHWARAH
GURUR SAAKSHAAT PARA-BRAHMA,
TASMAI SHRI GURUVE NAMAH.

So I want to know that what is the source of this shloka. Is it Vedic Shloka? or not.

We Gaudiya Vaishnavas don't use it. neither Srila Prabhupada has ever used it in His books as per my knowledge.

pls tell somebody...

your servant

Ashish Sharma

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer

Dear Ashwani Hare Krsna,   It is acintya bheda abheda.    The Guru has to be seen as the manifestation of Krsna and all the demigods.  He is the manifestation of the supersoul appearing before you so you can render service to Him and make inquiry.

If you do not have that faith in the guru then you will not be successful in chanting.

The guru is to be seen as the servitor Godhead.  As good as God.   Hare Krsna

• Volunteer

Dear devotees,  Hare Krsna.  The guru is to be seen a good as God. Sakshad Hari.

But that does not mean that he has become God as the mayavadis imagine.

The  example of the viceroy of India is used to help us understand this point.

The viceroy is offered the same respect as the king of England but he is not the king.

By offering this respect to him we honor he king.

But if he claims he is the king that will be treason and he will be punished.

So Gurudev is the representative of Krsna and all the demigods and must be honored as if he is God.

He is never to be seen as an ordinary man.

Hare Krsna

• Hare Krishna Jagadatma Das prabhuji

Thanks prabhuji for ur answer. But why in this shloka guru has been described as Vishnu, Shiva and Brahma.

your servant

Ashish

• hare krsna Ashwani prabhu

thanks for ur reply.

• Sevak

Hare Krishna. PAMHO. All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

Although I not sure but I think this sloka was by Adi Shankara. He used to honour his guru by singing this sloka. This sloka is chanted by Mayavadis.

• Hare Krishna Srijon prabhu,

dandwat pranam

Thanks for ur reply. Same reply I was expecting.So it is not a Vedic shloka.

your servant

This reply was deleted.