Srimad Bhagavatam

SInce the Bhagavatam and Bhagavad-gita say that lust cannot be satisfied by any amount of indulgence, why does the same Bhagavatam says that lust is mitigated entirely by overindulgence in 7.11.33?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Srila prabhupada has given The actual meaning of the slokas given by sukdev goswami. You are confusing yourself by making it 2 different slokas. I am trying to make it simple for you to understand but I think you are going back to square 1.

• Yes... That's true.. But that won't imply end of lust since lust can be ended entirely by purification... What's your opinion regarding this?
      • Read the whole thing. ""and they will get an opportunity to become purified"". ......means Opportunity to perform devotional service and become purified 

• OK.. I accept that this verse is not valid in Kali-yuga... But I am questioning the very existence of the possibility of the statement be it in any Yuga... Still you will have to come to the same point of reconciliation with the other verse... So m asking how it reconciles with them irrespective of Yuga?
      • It is said that bg is graduate studies and sb is postgraduate studies so here we get to know extra also in that verse Prabhupada says that theres a CHANCE that these activities will become detest full. Theres no confirmation or guarantee that the person or people will surely become detestful.

• Still I am not able to get the point.... Since principles always remain the same.. Is there reference that this verse is not for Kali-yuga?
      • References in the sense that there is a detailed explanation about how condemned men women will be in kaliyug in 12th canto and I said that verse has no value since the entire population is degrading to lowest classes like malecchas

• Hare Krishna... My question isn't regarding the validity of the verse... My question is regarding the objective possibility as to how it can be possible since lust can't be mitigated by indulgence as per other verses... So how this verse holds true... Coz lust can completely be mitigated by pure devotional service... So I seek a reconciliation of this verse with the other one's... I think the only reconciliation I find as told by mataji is that the variety of desire would change.. So here entirely would refer to a single desire... Not complete eradication...
      • What I have written is correct. That verse is for lower castes ppl. Those ppl have been given some freedom just as those ppl who cant do without flesh are first told to worship goddess kali and then consume once or twice on amavasya something like that.  What parulji said that one becomes bored doesn' happen in kaliyug.  Ppl want new women. Its a characteristic of kali that men will be slaves of lust

• Hare krishna... I was thinking all of the lust would diminish but as you mentioned the variety of the desire would change... So here entirely refers to one type of desire??
This reply was deleted.