Non veg

Hare Krishna,

If a Muslim or christian or even low caste Hindu eats non veg will he get the same sin as a Hindu brahmin eating or Brahmin will get more sin if he eats and others get comparitively lesser sin?

your servant

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• BG 9.32

O son of Pṛthā, those who take shelter in Me, though they be of lower birth – women, vaiśyas [merchants] and śūdras [workers] – can attain the supreme destination.

• I agree that Ajamila went back to Godhead after performing austerities. Because He was brahmana and his way of life was to perform austerities. But what about the candalas and other lowborn people? It is their nature to eat meat. And they too do the puja to the Lord and He accepts them too. He is the Lord of all. Not just for a single guna people.

• dear subhash prabhu,prabhupada has mentioned so many times in his books that human beings are not meant to eat meat.Chandalas also happen to fall in the human category only.

It's not their nature to eat meat but an allowance for them.Allowance has been made because they just can't snap out of their habits.It's similar to reforming a drug addict.In the rehabilitation center the drugs are withdrawn by and by..

• Hare Krishna Gaurav Prabhu.

I am confused here. How can we compare drugs with Food(meat)?

I have seen many people pray the Lord eventhough they eat meat. Does that mean all their prayers are unanswered? Well, what about Christians and Muslims. They offer the animals as sacrifice and then have it as prasadam. So, how is that sinful?

Even Lord Krishna says,

BG 9.27, 9.28
        Whatever you do, whatever you eat, whatever you offer or give away, and whatever austerities you perform — do that, O son of Kuntī, as an offering to Me.

In this way you will be freed from bondage to work and its auspicious and inauspicious results. With your mind fixed on Me in this principle of renunciation, you will be liberated and come to Me.

Krishna said, whatever you eat. He didnt say not to eat non-veg food.

I am trying to learn the indepth essence of Gita. I know that eating non-veg food will not help in controlling the mind. Eating non-veg food makes you angry and all the animal propensities will occupy your mind. But nowhere it is mentioned that eating meat is sin. Please quote some verse in Gita where it is mentioned so that I can come out of the confusion.

• Hare Krishna Prabhu..

That is for the non-devotees who think they are the doers. Have you read Ajamila's story in Bhagavatam? How He is saved by Vishnu dutas from yamadutas.

• Hare Krishna Dean prabhu..

You have hit the nail on the head. Krishna didn't say that eating meat is sin. He just said that its a tamasic guna. And everybody are eligible to get the liberation in the end provided they offer their humble devotional service to the lord.

•  

Well subhash prabhu since when "eating meat" became a non sinful activity?

If u go by the regulative principles,it is very much a sin.

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhujis,

In the Gita, the lord has mentioned patram, pushpam, phalam, toyam.....(9.26) isnt that giving directions on what to offer the lord? Hasnt Prabhupada mentioned in the purport that if the lord wanted to eat meat, then he would have clarified that he can be offered meat? Incidentally, the Chapter 9 is the most confidential knowledge - now I hope you understand why it is mentioned as part of the most confidential knowledge.

When the lord says, whatever you eat, offer to Me, it doesnt mean - you eat what you please, simply offer to Me, then there will be no sin to you. It means that if you love the lord, then you will offer to the lord what pleases the lord - patram, pushpam, phalam, toyam - not meat, blood, .... whatever else. If you read the smaller books of Prabhupada, it is mentioned - I think in Perfect Questions, Perfect Answers - that if you want to please someone, you wil find out what pleases that person and then try to do that, instead of doing your own thing and demanding God to accept it.

I hope I have been able to explain.

haribol,

Rashmi

• Hare Krishna Mataji.

BG 9.26:

If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit or water, I will accept it.

The Lord says, you can offer me simple things which are easily available in nature. You dont have to work hard for it. He did not ask to offer Him Gold, Money etc. I mentioned Gold, Money because Lord also mentioned Flower(which is not an eatable). If you take the literal meaning of the verse, then its like saying, offering anything other than the 4 things mentioned will not be accepted by the Lord. Then one question, why do we offer food made from rice, grains etc, to the Lord? These are also not mentioned in the verse.

Regards,

Subash

• Volunteer

candala food is not dog meat. candala is a human being, he is not conditioned to eat dog meat. He can eat vegetables and fruit. It is not that he will die if he does not eat dog meat. Prostitutes can change their occupation if they have sincere devotion. Hari Das thakur told that prostitute to leave everything and leave a clean life and she did. It was not that she was chanting and still she was continuing her prostitution. She left everything and became a pure devotee.

This reply was deleted.