Meat eating in dangerous situations…

Hare Krsna!  All glories to Prabhupada!  In dangerous situations it is said you can eat meat,  but can you offer it to the Lord?  I'm asking this because Prabhupada said 50 yrs ago that in 50 yrs the economy will collapse.  If the government falls we might have to eat meat on occasion. So they say it should happen around 2023-2025.  So please prepare..  Hare Krsna!

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna!

In response to your question, it is true that in certain dangerous situations, it may be permissible to eat meat for survival. However, it is important to note that offering meat to the Lord is not allowed in any circumstance.

In the Bhagavad-gita, Lord Krishna says, "If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit or water, I will accept it." (Bg. 9.26) This verse clearly indicates that only vegetarian food items should be offered to the Lord with love and devotion.

Regarding the statement that Prabhupada made about the economy collapsing, it is important to understand that Prabhupada often spoke about the temporary nature of materialistic civilization and the need for spiritual advancement. In a lecture given in 1974, Prabhupada said, "The material civilization is going on on the basis of sense gratification, and that sense gratification is being checked by nature. You cannot enjoy more than what you are destined to enjoy. That is not possible. So therefore there will be a collapse of this civilization. That is stated in the Bhagavad-gita." (Lecture, Bhagavad-gita 4.2 -- Bombay, March 22, 1974)

However, it is important to note that Prabhupada did not specify a timeline for this collapse, nor did he suggest that it would necessarily lead to the consumption of meat. Rather, he emphasized the importance of spiritual advancement and the need to take shelter of Krishna in all circumstances.

In conclusion, while it may be permissible to eat meat in certain dangerous situations, it is not allowed to offer it to the Lord. Furthermore, it is important to focus on spiritual advancement and taking shelter of Krishna, rather than speculating about the collapse of materialistic civilization.

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Damen Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

I personally dont see it happening in 2023-25. Even if government falls, how does that make you or anyone else eat meat? We have to follow the principles, not think of alternatives. If such a situation arises, then it will not be for one person alone, it will be for larger humanity. Then we will see. 

It is said, where there is a will, there is a way.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Hare Krsna, pamho,

According to place, time and circumstances, rules can be altered. 

"Apad dharma" should be followed, apad dharma means when there is scarcity of food and there are no means left to survive, such things can be done to keep the body alive..

This reply was deleted.