Materially, women are less intelligent

Hare Krishna,

I have read and heard a lot about why we in Iskcon say women are by nature, less intelligent and weak. 

The essence of that with respect to building a peaceful and harmonious social life and proper management of house and society... I understand and agree too.

But, why is the fact that girls exceed more in academics by simultaneously participating and excelling in extra curricular activies, ignored???

This generalisation, Chanakya pandit made was suitable at that time, when women were not educated in even basics(that would build a good wise personality of them)

It can't be ignored, that back at that time, since women seriously had no exposure to activities that would make them "wise and intelligent"... they naturally turned out to be more emotional and unfit for making major decisions, and thus needed to depend on men.

Now, although education system is not perfect in all ways, it can't be ignored that today's education is making women capable to think, decide "wisely and rationally" more than "emotionally"

I am not against the vedic culture, I have realised its importance. I just have problem, with:

Women being less intelligent is said to be a matter of our nature. However, we can clearly see if educated and trained, we dont remain emotional. Which proves, it is not our nature rather it is "social effect"

So why is this fact ignored totally?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Mataji,

PAMHO.

Women are considered less intelligent, because they are essentially emotional ebings. They are care givers, home makers. Their brain functions differently from men,this is scientifically proven. So what is the problem in accepting we are different.

Yes, today's woman is brought up liek a man, given the same exposure and opportunities. Thats why they excel in different fields. 

Vedic culture doesnt look down on women - they were considered very powerful in earlier times. A woman is made differently, so her strenghts are also different. Vedic times recognised this. Men and women were comfortable with this. 

THe thing to know is -Krsna has given equal opportunity to souls in women bodies to go back to Godhead, as He has given souls in men bodies. Ultimately, this body is just a dress for the soul, that too temporary. Why so much fuss over a temporary dress. 

Today you and I are arguing so much over woman being equal to man, because you and I are in woman's body. If we were in man's body, we wouldnt bother. Its just a matter of time.

I have gone through my journey of why women are inferior. It was very difficult for me to accept it. Now it doesnt matter. It helps to put my ego down. I use it to go closer to Krsna. I also remember that Krsna's most beloved is Radha Rani. His most intimate devotees are Gopis - again in woman's body. So when Krsna doesnt see my being in a woman's body as an impediment to be close to Him, why should I?

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Hare Krishna mataji,

Yes i agree to what you answered😊

But still, when devotees preach, they mention it as women are essentially less intelligent, the way and the entire speech they give on it clearly shows they are ignorant of the possibilities.

By nature we are not intelligent, if trained properly we can handle home and work both. Ofcourse i totally agree, after marriage the home must become the only focus for a woman, i myself had this realisation even before being introduced to ISKCON teachings. I have no doubt about that...just the fact that "the possibility or capability" is ignored , gives me pain. As it doesn't put a good impression on the audience...it is impossible to convince people of importance of women's nature when their entire nature is addressed to be just "emotional".

Also, Chanakya says a woman can't be trusted. I understand this wont apply to a woman who has taken shelter of Lord even though in initial stage of devotion....

But this too was appropriate only in Vedic times, as women had literally no work than to look after house and children, whatever problems they faced...they naturally tended to share it with other women neighbours...which is called gossiping actually. But that was a result of not allowing them to become emotionally mature. Even it the need to become emotionally mature, i am uncertain...

Yet i feel, todays women devotees can create more favorable atmosphere at home and workplace in case they work....so seeing that, it becomes little difficult for me to accept the generalisations of Scriptures....

I don't feel like reading the topics of women...as even though the essence they teach applies best even today..the rigidness in the way of doing certain things only, behaving in a certain way...i cant grasp

From our readings, if all things are taken seriously, even devotee matajis have to become so serious. I am of a playful kind so cant digest mechanical seriousness(i mean becoming serious in behaviour because it is a rule)

Will you please guide mataji...i just have problem with why i must read such things which i can't see apply today..not even all devotee matajis follow, they too playfully live life, follow the major rules, read Scriptures and the ideal things told to be followed there, yet they are not negatively affected in a way, that there playful and joyous nature is not affected.....i get easily affected if i see something is not possible or too unnecessary to Strictly follow in today's time.

Please guide😊🙏

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna dear Mataji,

PAMHO.

Who told you that one has to be serious by nature, cannot be playful by nature to follow devotion?

THe most intimate pastimes of Krsna are of Vrndavan. I am sure you know how playful Krsna is in all Vrndavan pastimes. 

The essence is - we have to add Krsna to our life, not add our life to Krsna. Do what is natrual, then it is sustainable. Follow how much you are comfortable.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Okk mataji...thank you😊🙏

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

I don't feel like reading the topics of women. i just have problem with why i must read such things

This is a very intelligent approach. No need to read about such topics.

Instead we should read about pastimes of Lord Sri Krsna, Lord Chaitanya, Lord Narasimha etc. Most intelligent and highly advanced devotees like Rupa Goswami, Sanatana Goswami, Vishwanatha Chakravarthi Thakur, etc have immersed themselves in reading pastimes of Krsna. 

Hare Krsna

• Ok prabhuji, thank you for replying, for your time😊🙏

This reply was deleted.