Lord Krishna's 10 sons & Gandhari's 100 sons

Dear All,

Hare Krishna! My dandvat pranam to you. Yesterday my friend told me that each of Krsnas 16,108 wives had 10 sons & their sons also had 10 sons. He also said that Lord Chaitanya Mahaprabhu blessed a woman by saying that may you have 10 sons. So what happens when anyone has 10 sons?

This gave rise to another question that is there any mystery behind Gandhari's 100 sons? I mean 75% of her life is gone in giving birth & bringing up children. why would she do that? Please forgive any mistake committed in writing. Eagerly waiting for replies.

Best Regards,

Romit Kelkar

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Jai Sri krishna Romit. In understand how you feel. No I never doubted for a moment that the quote is in the book. I am indeed sure that it is. I just wanted to know where so I could have quicker access to it as I have not read this book. I am very interested in what Lord Chaitanya meant by this and so it would be helpful to know the context in which it was siad. That is all. Please dont think I doubt him. I am just back from Rata Yatra Dublin on Sun and similar in Belfast on Sat. Both were wonderful. Just to imagine the bystanders who see the parade going through the city get a blessing. What mercy.

• Hare Krishna Romit. Thank you. Sorry to bother you again but if you could ask your friend which chapter in the book is the quote from. I would be most grateful. I have come across this quote before and would like to know in which context it was said. Sorry to bother you prabhu. Thank you so much. Jai Sri Krishna.

• Hare Krsna Romit. I was wondering if you could be so kind to ask your friend where (or which book) he found this blessing )for the woman) from Lord Caianya. I would be most grateful for this. Jai Sri krishna. Owen

• This birth of 100 sons could also related to the 100 creatures who were blinded by Dhritarashtra during one of his previous lives.He would poke their eyes out.Such cruelty resulted in his blind rebirth,and the suffering of fathering 100 sons. Those souls were unfortunate really, and perhaps in their next lives they would get a chance to surrender to Krishna again.
  • Volunteer
    Hare Krsna Romit this is Maha Bharat
  • Volunteer

Hare Krsna Devotees.   Any one who can have 10 children is considered a BIG family man....Very good at procreaing of course.  But Lord Sri Krsna In Dwaraka is the greatest procreater!.   And all His sons are First class sons.   He is the supermost family man. He had 160,000 children .  Bhagavan Sri Krsna Kl Jai!!

Gandhari being angry that the wife of Pandu gave birth before her struck her own stomach with her fist.   This caused her to give bith to a formless lump of flesh.    This lump pf flesh under the direction of the sages was cut into 100 peices and put in 100 pots of oil..    They chanted mantras and fom the 100 pots gandhari's children were born.    Duryodhana was the first to be taken out of a pot. When he cried it was like th kaw of a crow.  It was thought very in ausoscious and even the brahmanas said it should not be allowed to live.  It will cause the destruction of the entire dynasty.   But neithr Gandhari or Dhrtarastra would listen to such things.

• Though the question seems awkward, I too will be happy if there is some special significance for such acts. Because  "I believe" the supreme intelligence always does something which will be beneficiary to us. However the real  meaning

of 'beneficiary' may be very subtle to understand for us common man, but for the more advanced one in the realm of 

spirituality, the meaning comes clear.

I have read many God intoxicated persons biography and it seems some time they bless someone by purely material

reward. However again sometime they bestow their blessing as removing spiritual darkness. For example in the life

of Ramakrishna, we see that he is saying 'I bless you all so that you all have Chaitanya, the spiritual consciousness'.

I can nat say anything about the Sons of Lord Krishna but for the Mahaprabhu, I would imagine that it  was surely out of

compassion. Probably that woman's consciousness was not at the level so that she could receive a spiritual reward  (as

her samaskara was not in advanced stage   so that she could value a spiritual reward). I think whenever a Godly

person bestow some worldly reward, it is out of supreme compassion. But the significance of number "10" is not known

to me, probably that particular woman could not satisfy his motherly love with less than 10 sons.  Also it might happen that once after having this 10  sons and then exercising "Batsollya" love for her sons, her mind may turn to love for God..

I mean to say that Mahaprabhu could have been seen the stage of  mind of that woman and bestowed such blessing so that ultimately  she could realise the unbound love of God which is more more magnificant than the love for 10 sons.

As far as Gandgari is concerned I  have no idea. But one thing must be in mind that in 'Dwapara Yuga' the average age

of human was of the order of 10 times than in Koliyuga. If this is true then she really did not spent 75% of her life in

giving birth to his 100 sons.

This reply was deleted.