Krishna - the Supreme Personality of Godhead

Hare Krishna

PAMHO

All glories to Srila Prabhupad

My friend asked me a question today. And you may have the answer. 

Question is Does ISKCON believe Krishna as ‘The Supreme Divine”. Yes or no. If yes then why do they call Krishna as The supreme personality of Godhead. They can’t be complimentary. The word Godhead actually is a biblical word. If ISCKON doesn’t believe Krishna as the Supreme Divine, calling Krishna as Supreme personality of Godhead makes sense. You just can’t call Krishna both. What is true ISKCON position on this subject.

Your servant

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

•  Hare krishna

Well both the words gives only one understanding that we are talking about someone who is supreme and highest. I dont think there is any difference if we call krishna as supreme divine or supreme personality of godhead

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

What is your friend's understanding of Supreme Divine ?

Hare Krsna

• Hare Krishna,

Sri Krishna is Both Supereme Divine and Supreme Personality of Godhead. 

Sri Krishna being Supreme Divine is the quality of Lord. Becuase he is DIVINE. He is not mortal. He is divine. If you are saying about the quality or nature of Sri Krishna, Yes he is Supremely divine in nature. No doubt about it!

If you are praising that He is God. From HIM every other demigod or gods have come. Than you can use that term." Supreme personality of Godhead.

There is one without a second! pls. be clear on that.

Divinity of Krishna and Him being Godhead are two different titles. And both apply to Krishna.

Just like Krishna is called Jagatpati, and Krishna is auspiciously divine. is it not true to say so both are correct.

Is there any problem ? if you use biblical term to descibe the nature and designation of God.

If I say Arvind is a Gentleman and Arvind is a CEO of a company does it make Aravid two different persons?

We are referring to the same Arvind isn't it?

and translations of actual sanskit words into English ( which is western language) will surely sound biblical only ... is that a big issue.?

Hare Krishna.

• Hare Krishna Mataji,

I totally agree with you and that's what I tried to explain it to my friend as stated in my reply below to my question that according to the vedic scriptures the Supreme Lord Sri Krishna is BOTH the Supreme Divine and the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

Thank you very much.

• Hare Krishna,

PAMHO

All glories to Srila Prabhupad

I gave him following reply. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Krishna is the Supreme Divine and as per vedic scriptures, the Supreme Divine is a Person who has no other origin. He is the origin of all. Hence Krishna is the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

ishvarah paramah krishnah
    sac-cid-ananda-vigrahaha
    anadir adir govindaha
    sarva-karana-karanam

TRANSLATION:
    Krsna who is known as Govinda is the Supreme Godhead. He has an eternal blissful spiritual body. He is the origin of all. He has no other origin and He is the prime cause of all causes.

Your servant

This reply was deleted.