Hare Krishna!
Please accept my humble obeisance. All glories to Srila Prabhupada,

Is there any direct reference in the scriptures for NOT EATING Onion, garlic, Mashroom, TOBACCO(SMOKING), tea (with caffine) et al?

Or this has been practically experienced by many sages, that since these foods are belonging to mode of Passion and ignorance, so if we eat these our relization towards GOD will be distracted and thus we cannot attain GOD.

I have read many topics on this why these foods are forbidden for the devotees. I just wanted to know  is this referred in the scriptures?

Please forgive me if my way of asking becomes rude.

Just Servant

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krsna,

i have read in Shiv Purana that one who does japa on tulsi or rudraksh mala should not eat onions and garlics.

and for brahmanas onion and garlic are forbidden. as in ISKCON we follow Brahmincal culture we also do not eat onions and garlic. and other replies are also one of many reasons.

• Volunteer

There are 4 Vedas. And Ayurveda is the part of Vedas. So in Ayurveda it says that onion and garlic are in the mode of passion and ignorance.

So we do not offer them to Krishna. And Devotees do not eat anything which was not offered to Krishna. Because of that they avoid eating onion and garlic. Krishna does not drink tea, coffee...so Devotees do not drink also.

In this way Ayurveda is direct knowledge of Vedas. Please read Prabhu, read. Especially Bhagavad Gita and slowly start Srimad Bhagavatam. 

Your servant, 

• Excellent answer, Mataji!

• yes! Mataji. I need to read more.
      Actually I know that these are not offered to Lord Krsna, but i didn't find it in entire Bjagavad Gita for direct refrence of these foods.

• BG 17.9: Foods that are too bitter, too sour, salty, hot, pungent, dry and burning are dear to those in the mode of passion. Such foods cause distress, misery and disease.

This reply was deleted.