Is mosquito killing a SIN?

Dear devotees,

Hare Krishna,

I want to know, is mosquito killing a sin? i am asking this because killing animal is a sin and untill and unless we stop killing animal, we won't have a peaceful mind and according won't be able to attain Krishna, the supreme personality of GodHead.

Beast Regards,

Deb

Hare Krishna!!

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krishna!, All glories to Prabhuji,

I am curious to know, IF EVEN KILLING A MOSQUITO IS A SIN, THEN WHY SHREE KRISHNA HIMSELF ADVISED ARJUNA TO KILL NUMEROUS PEOPLE FOR A SMALL PIECE OF LAND? 

Please forgive me if i have hurt devotees, it's not my intention, I want to know the answer.

Hare Krishna!!

• Volunteer

Krsna never advised Arjuna to kill numerous people for land, he advised Arjuna to follow his Kshatriya Dharma and uphold the religious standards and annihilating the non-religious people.

Further, Krsna himself confirmed that the Kauravas are already killed by Krsna, but Arjuna will be an instrument. 

Chapter 11, Verse 32. 

The Blessed Lord said: Time I am, destroyer of the worlds, and I have come to engage all people. With the exception of you [the Pandavas], all the soldiers here on both sides will be slain.

Chapter 11, Verse 33. 
      Therefore get up and prepare to fight. After conquering your enemies you will enjoy a flourishing kingdom. They are already put to death by My arrangement, and you, O Savyasaci, can be but an instrument in the fight.

Chapter 11, Verse 34. 
      The Blessed Lord said: All the great warriors--Drona, Bhisma, Jayadratha, Karna--are already destroyed. Simply fight, and you will vanquish your enemies.

And finally the final instruction to Arjuna was as follows:

Chapter 18, Verse 66.
      Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reaction. Do not fear.

Arjuna was simply following Krsna's instructions, thus he never received any sinful reactions. 

• Hmn......Haribol prabhu,

intresting...!!! i guess that is the reason we light incense sticks at home in the evening when they generally try to enter our homes....!!!

Just a guess....!!! sorry no offense i know there are more reasons to light an incense stick but one of them is to purify the atmosphere...!!

Jai Hari...!!!!

• Hare krishna Radhe Prabhuji

With regards to your st below. Please don't take offense. I am going through the same trauma of killing mosquitoes.

"well you can show them mercy and chant the Hare Krsna Mahamantra before you HAVE kill them"

Inspite of having netted windows 24/7 , I end up having at least 7/10 mosquitoes inside house. Now I use to do the same as you said. Chant "Hare krishna" and then kill. Is that not more offensive to the name of Lord. Basically asking permission to the Lord to allow me to kill the mosquitoes.

Rather just kill it and then take the sin and ask for forgiveness. What sounds better?

Anyway, since mosquito repellant doesn't work most of the time and since its fumes is also injurious to our health, these days I use the vegetable net to catch each of them , chant hare krishna and free them out from the window. But this is sustainable only for 1 or 2 mosquitoes.

Is there nothing in scriptures that says if animals/birds are harmful to us , we can kill them to protect our body.? If there is something in relation please enlighten us.

These days I have become more of mosquito conscious then Krishna conscious.

Bangalore is the worst place with  regards to mosquitoes , lots of Dengue cases these days..

• Okay. You are right about these diseases. i cannot say anything against it really and am not. but would they not bit you once they come near you just saying.  thoughts coming to my mind say that they have anyways caused you damaged once they bite or they are tiny and fast or vice versa.

• Hare Krsna Rahul prabhuji. When you say "Better we pray to Krishna for mercy and apply methods to ward them off from our home and body." mercy you mean for mosquito being killed. 

• Volunteer

I think he meant for us getting the sinful reaction, but it wouldn't be bad to pray to Krsna to give mercy to that little mosquito either ;)

(on a side note, good to see you posting Avikam Prabhu, the discussion threads continuously needs members (both new and old to post :D )

• Well don't get me wrong. but in mahabharata did karna not tolerate spider bite for his teacher Pashurama. i mean in a sense we can tolerate it for Krsna and our (mine in the individual and our as a whole) and not react.

Reply to Bhaktin Maral mataji and to killing the mosquito in general.

• Please dont misunderstand me..

But what if it comes and try to bite me?? What should I do then??

• Volunteer

well you can show them mercy and chant the Hare Krsna Mahamantra before you HAVE kill them (technically you don't have to kill it, but sometimes we swat with a bit too much power, etc)... You'll still get the sinful reaction since you killed it, but hearing the names of Krsna before it died will have done something very beneficial for it :)

(of course this doesn't justify you going out and shouting the Mahamantra and then going on a rampage and killing everything in sight, lol :P ... )

This reply was deleted.