Is Chanting Mala necessary!!!!?????

Hare Krishna to All.....

Recently I got a question from my friend.

He is a devotee of Lord Krishna.He doesn't chant explicitly, But says that he is chanting inside his mind and won't count 

He won't use any mala to chant. Just he thinks of Lord at every moment.

Is his method is correct????

Please any one can explain ...

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer

Based on the description, the person in reference is a Devotee. Constantly chanting the Holy Names Of Krishna. If he keeps a counter it may end up in 100+ rounds on mala. No where in the question its mentioned that he is a neophyte.

If the person is a neophyte, my answer would be different. When someone says, he is a devotee, I take HIm as Shudda Bhakta.

We must ask accurate question to get proper answer. I hope my understanding of the question is correct.
    • Volunteer

If you are saying that about japa, please consider performing Sankirtana everyday. Your joy will be a 100 times as your focus will be a 100 times better due to loud chanting.

Please dont be satisfied with japa. We are not really in Krishna Consciousness unless we perform Sankirtana, because it is the (1st )Instruction of Caitanya Mahaprabhu

• Volunteer

Well said Prakash Prabhu, I would strongly encourage you to go on Nagar Sankirtan, Harinam, which is what Sankirtan is. Indore Kirtana is not same as Harinam. When you do Harinam, you will really please your spiritual master. When your spiritual master is pleased, Krishna is also pleased.

Let me know how it goes. Hare Krishna.

Ps. The goal is not your enjoyment. Its Krishna's enjoyment.

Please accept my apologies if I offended you.

Hare Krishna

• Hare Krishna prabhu ji,

Dandvats. Thanks for such a good, precise answer.

It clears many doubts.

Hari bol.

• Hare Krishna to all,,,

Even i face the same situation i can think whole day that i have to chant but i just cannot do that at times.

Also i listen to bhajans and Kirtans whole day but still in regard of cahnting i feel helpless at times.

So if i listen to teh audio of Hare Krishna Mahamantra and sing alsong rather than doing on beads then can it be atlest considered fine??

Please guide me,,,

Hari Bol

• Volunteer

Anyone thinking of the Lord every moment need not keep a mala.

If one needs to keep a goal of minimum, then a counter will be needed and japa mala is used as a counter.

Hanuman is constantly chanting Ram Ram Ram Ram Ram....

I dont believe Hanuman uses a mala.

I dont know why Lord Shiva uses the mala. All 5 heads of Lord Shiva are constantly chanting the Names of Lord Narayana.

Rasika Govinda Das Prabhu, forgive me if I am wrong,

Using a mala is not a requirement for chanting the Holy Names of the Lord.

• Volunteer

Caitanya Mahaprabhu, who is Krishna Himself, Said, "Harer Naama Harer Naama Harer Nama Eva Kevalam, Kalau Nasteva Nasteva Nasteva Gatir Anyatha."

In Kali Yuga, Only Name of Hari, Only Name of Lord Hari, Only Name of Hari is needed. Nothing else. Nothing else Nothing else.

As Explained by Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada:

When something is mentioned in the Shastras, once, we must accept it. However, when it is mentioned 3 times in a row, then, it must be accepted without question. Now, when Krishna says it 3 times, then we know absolutely, emphatically without question, be accepted.

Mala is not required. Only Holi Names of Krishna is all you Need !!

• Hare Krishna,

It is absolutely necessary for beginners to chant on mala. It has various benefits. First benefit is that we adhere to the fixed number of rounds everyday i.e. minimum number of rounds everyday. If we don't chant on japa mala then many times we skip our daily sadhna.

I give you an example. There are two bakers. One baker does not use any measurements and prepare cakes and other one use proper measurements, cook for proper fixed time at fixed tempratures etc. Both are good. But still the first one has a chance that he will fail one or the other day but the one who is using a fixed recepie is absolutely going to achieve success.

Same way our all great acharyas has achieved the Pure love of Supreme Personality of Godhead Krishna by following this process of chanting Hare Krishna Mahamantra on Japa Mala. They have recommended it for us as well. We should adhere to this recpie then without fail we can achieve Krishna.

Moreover the number 108 of beads has special significance in sanatan dharma. Also if we keep chanting on a mala then after some time of chanting that mala becomes spiritualized and yield multifold benefits than chanting without mala. But if mala is not available or cannot be used due to profession etc then chant without mala though it is not recommended.

hari bol

This reply was deleted.