Replies

• Result of Chanting Holy Name does not depend on Diksha

Namacarya Srila hariDasa Thakura himself was not initiated. But he achived perfection by just chanting holy name. [CC.Antya 3.124].Rather he initiated Mayadevi into chanting of Holyname.[CC Antya 3.259]
    According to external vision, Srila  Haridäsa Thäkura belonged to a Muhammadan family. Nevertheless, because he engaged himself in performing the yajna of chanting the Hare Krsna mahä-mantra, he became a regularly initiated brahmana. As confirmed in Srimad-Bhagavatam (3.33.6) [CC Antya (3.124) ]
    In teachings of Lord Caitanya Srila Prabhupada confirms that, even without recitation of käma-gäyatri which is given at Brahmana Diksha, the chanting of Hare Krsna is sufficient to elevate one to the highest spiritual platform.

The chanting of the Hare Kṛṣṇa mahā-mantra is so powerful that it does not depend on official initiation…
    The offenseless chanting of the holy name does not depend on the initiation process. Although initiation may depend on puraścaryā or puraścaraṇa, the actual chanting of the holy name does not depend on puraścaryā-vidhi, or the regulative principles. If one chants the holy name once without committing an offense, he attains all success…. Simply by chanting the holy name, one is immediately delivered. [CC Madhya (15.108) ]
  • "Not necessary always to be officially initiated"

70-05-14 Letter: Syamasundara
    So if from your center the surrounding villages are drawn to the attention of Krsna consciousness simply by the distribution of Prasadam and chanting of Hare Krsna Mantra, it will be a great success. It is not necessary always to be officially initiated, but if they participate in the group chanting of Hare Krsna Mantra and taking of Prasadam weekly or daily as it is possible, that will fulfill our mission.
  • Hare Krishna Prabhuji

I request you to please read or hear all initiation lectures of Srila Prabhupada to get to know full about initiaton. Here is the link http://prabhupadabooks.com/d.php?g=160240

Below are the selected texts from Srila Prabhupada's books and lectures and conversations.

A compendium of Quotes on Diksha

“And another thing, just like we are holding this ceremony, initiation ceremony. It should not be accepted just we are functioning some ritualistic ceremony. No. It is different from ritualistic ceremony. Although it appears like ritualistic, it is transcendental.”
    - Srila Prabhupada Talk, Initiation Lecture, and Ten Offenses Lecture, Los Angeles, December 1, 1968

“So diksha means the initiation to begin transcendental activities. That is called initiation. Therefore we take promise from the disciple that "You chant so many times," "Yes, sir." "You observe these rules and regulations," "Yes, sir." That is initiation. He has to observe; he has to chant. Then everything comes automatically. In the beginning he is faulty; then how he can make progress?”
    - Srila Prabhupada Lecture Srimad-Bhagavatam 6.1.15 -- Auckland, February 22, 1973

The chanting Hare Krishna is our main business, that is real initiation. And as you are all following my instruction, in that matter, the initiator is already there.”
    - Srila Prabhupada Letter to Tamala Krishna, 19 August, 1968

“So anyway, from 1922 to 1933 practically I was not initiated, but I got the impression of preaching Chaitanya Mahaprabhu's cult. That I was thinking. And that was the initiation by my Guru Maharaja.”
    - Srila Prabhupada Lecture, December 10, 1976, Hyderabad

"Of course, for anyone to hear the message of Srimad-Bhagavatam will produce a favorable result but formally one should receive this knowledge from the disciplic succession. For example, Arjuna and Krishna were friends but still Arjuna submitted himself formally as Krishna's disciple. This is essential. We should take example from these great Personalities. Arjuna was hearing Krishna speaking Bhagavad-gita but still he submitted as Krishna's disciple. "Now I submit unto You, please teach me." So this is the process. I hope this will clear up your question sufficiently.”
    - Srila Prabhupada Letter to John Darsinos, November 23, 1968

“Actually this is Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu's initiation of Dabira Khasa and Sakara Mallika. They approached the Lord with all humility, and the Lord accepted them as old servants, as eternal servants, and He changed their names. It is to be understood from this that it is essential for a disciple to change his name after initiation.”
    - Madhya 1.208, The Later Pastimes of Lord Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu

“He is therefore asking Lord Krishna, the supreme spiritual master, to make a definite solution. He offers himself to Krishna as a disciple. He wants to stop friendly talks. Talks between the master and the disciple are serious, and now Arjuna wants to talk very seriously before the recognized spiritual master.”
    - Bhagavad Gita, 2:7

“So I was at that time a fool, but I opined like this. And I accepted him as my spiritual master immediately. Not officially, but in my heart. That was in 1922. “Now instruct them very seriously about their responsibilities. To promise to follow the four prohibitive rules and to daily chant sixteen rounds means they cannot deviate. You can hold a fire yajna and inform them that in promising before the Deity and before the spiritual master, one cannot later break the rules without being punished, just as in the law court one is held for perjury.”
    - Srila Prabhupada Letter to Damodara, 16 January, 1974

“Srila Prabhupada’s transcendental books transmit transcendental knowledge which vanquish all material contamination caused by our previous sinful activities and thus bring us to pure love of God, where we can directly worship Krishna. This perfectly corresponds with shastric definitions of diksha.
    - Chaitanya Charitamrita Madhya lila 15-108, 9-61, 4-111).”[…]  

Srila Prabhupada describes our daily reading of His books as process of revealing or awakening transcendental knowledge. This process is described in theshastra as diksha.”
    “The official initiation has no meaning unless one who has fully surrendered to guru. There is no question of initiation. “Dibya-jnana hrdi prokasito”
    -  Srimad Bhagavatam Lecture New Vrindavana 1974

“Well, initiation or no initiation, first thing is knowledge. [break] ...knowledge. Initiation is formality. Just like you go to a school for knowledge, and admission is formality. That is not very important thing.”
    - Srila Prabhupada Press Interview, October 16, 1976, Chandigarh

In other words, the spiritual master awakens the sleeping living entity to his original consciousness so that he can worship Lord Vishnu. This is the purpose ofdiksha, or initiation. Initiation means receiving the pure knowledge of spiritual consciousness."
    - Chaitanya Charitamrita, Madhya, 9.61, Purport

"Diksha actually means initiating a disciple with transcendental knowledge by which he becomes freed from all material contamination."
    - Chaitanya Charitamrita, Madhya, 4.111, Purport

"Diksha is the process by which one can awaken his transcendental knowledge and vanquish all reactions caused by sinful activity. A person expert in the study of the revealed scriptures knows this process as diksha."
    - Chaitanya Charitamrita Madhya, 15.108, Purport

"...in order to receive the real message of Srimad-Bhagavatam one should approach the current link, or spiritual master, in the chain of disciplic succession."
    - Srimad Bhagavatam 2.9.7, Purport

"Jagannatha Dasa Babaji INITIATED Bhaktivinoda Thakura."  (Adi, 1, Introduction)
    Initiation means receiving the pure knowledge of spiritual consciousness."
    - Chaitanya Charitamrita Madhya, 9.61, Purport

"Diksha actually means initiating a disciple with transcendental knowledge by which he becomes freed from all material contamination."
    - Chaitanya Charitamrita Madhya, 4.111, Purport

"In other words, the spiritual master awakens the sleeping living entity to his original consciousness so that he can worship Lord Vishnu. This is the purpose ofdiksha, or initiation. Initiation means receiving the pure knowledge of spiritual consciousness."

"Diksha is the process by which one can awaken his transcendental knowledge and vanquish all reactions caused by sinful activity. A person expert in the study of the revealed scriptures knows this process as diksha."
    Maha-bhagavata -srestho brahmano vai gurur nrnam
    sarvesam eva lokanam asau pujyo yatha harih
    maha-kula-prasuto' pi sarva-yajnesu diksitah
    sahasra-sakhadhya yi ca na guruh syad avaisnavah
     "The guru must be situated on the topmost platform of devotional service. There are three classes of devotees, and the guru must be accepted from the topmost class."
    - Chaitanya Charitamrita Madhya, 24.330, Purport

"One should take initiation from a bona fide spiritual master coming in the disciplic succession, who is authorised by his predecessor spiritual master. This is called diksha-vidhana."
    - Srimad Bhagavatam 4.8.54, Purport

Indian man: When did you become spiritual the leader of Krishna Consciousness?
    Srila Prabhupada: What is that?
    Brahmananda: He is asking when did you become the spiritual leader of Krishna Consciousness.
    Srila Prabhupada: When my Guru Maharaja ordered me. This is the guru parampara.
    Indian man: Did it...
    Srila Prabhupada: Try to understand. Don't go very speedily. A guru can become guru when he is ordered by his guru. That's all. Otherwise nobody can become guru.
    - Srila Prabhupada Bhagavad gita, Lecture, October 28, 1975

"One who is now the disciple is the next spiritual master. And one cannot be a bona fide and authorised spiritual master unless one has been strictly obedientto his spiritual master."
    - Srimad Bhagavatam 2.9.43, Purport

"Now, tenth, eleventh, twelfth. My Guru Maharaja is tenth from Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, I am eleventh, you are the twelfth. So distribute this knowledge."
    - Srila Prabhupada Arrival Lecture, 18/5/72, Los Angeles

"As far as the time of diksha (initiation) is concerned, everything depends on the position of the guru.[...] If the sad-guru, the bona fide spiritual master agrees, one can be initiated immediately, without waiting for a suitable time or place."
    - Chaitanya Charitamrita Madhya, 24.331, Purport

"This is the process of initiation. The disciple must admit that he will no longer commit sinful activity [...] He promises to execute the order of the spiritual master. Then, the spiritual master takes care of him and elevates him to spiritual emancipation."
    - Chaitanya Charitamrita Madhya, 24.256

Devotee: How important is formal initiation?   
    Srila Prabhupada: Formal initiation means to accept officially to abide by the orders of Krishna and his representative. That is formal initiation.
    - Srila Prabhupada Lecture, February 22, 1973, Auckland       

Srila Prabhupada: Who is my disciple? First of all let him follow strictly the disciplined rules.
    Disciple: As long as one is following, then he is...   
    Srila Prabhupada: Then he is all right.
    - Srila Prabhupada Morning Walk, June 13, 1976, Detroit

"...unless there is discipline, there is no question of disciple. Disciple  means one who follows the discipline."
    - Srila Prabhupada Morning walk, March 8, 1976, Mayapur

- Chaitanya Madhya, 15.108, Purport)

"Reception of spiritual knowledge is never checked by any material condition."
    - Srimad Bhagavatam,  7.7.1, Purport

"The potency of transcendental sound is never minimised because the vibrator is apparently absent."
    - Srimad Bhagavatam, 2.9.8, Purport

"Diksha cannot be offered to a shudra [...] This initiation is offered not according to Vedic rules, because it is very difficult to find out a qualified brahmana."
    - Srila Prabhupada, Bhagavad-gita, Lecture, March 29, 1971, Bombay

What is the purpose of diksha?
    What is the meaning of diksha?
     "In other words, the spiritual master awakens the sleeping living entity to his original consciousness so that he can worship Lord Vishnu. This is the purpose ofdiksha, or initiation. Initiation means receiving the pure knowledge of spiritual consciousness."

- Chaitanya Charitamrita, Madhya, 4.111, Purport

"So anyway, from 1922 to 1933 practically I was not initiated, but I got the impression of preaching Chaitanya Mahaprabhu's cult. That I was thinking. And thatwas the initiation by my Guru Maharaja."
    - Srila Prabhupada Lecture, December 10, 1976, Hyderabad

"Initiation is a formality If you are serious, that is real initiation. My touch is simply a formality. It is your determination, that is initiation."
    - Back to Godhead, Search for the Divine

Does one require to be initiated officially?
    "...disciplic succession does not always mean that one has to be initiated officially. Disciplic succession means to accept the disciplic conclusion."
    - Srila Prabhupada Letter to Dinesh, October 31, 1969

What is the real initiation?
     "The chanting of Hare Krishna is our main business, that is real initiation. And as you are all following my instruction, in that matter, the initiator is already there."
    - Srila Prabhupada Letter to Tamala Krishna, August 19, 1968

What is the first thing?
    "Well, initiation or no initiation, first thing is knowledge... knowledge. Initiation is formality. Just like you go to a school for knowledge, and admission is formality. That is not very important thing."
    - Srila Prabhupada Interview, October 16, 1976, Chandigarh

Relationship between disciple and discipline.
     "...unless there is discipline, there is no question of disciple. Disciple means one who follows the discipline."
    - Srila Prabhupada Morning Walk, March 8, 1976, Mayapur
    But what if one does not observe the discipline?
    "If one does not observe the discipline, then he is not disciple."
    - Srila Prabhupada, Srimad Bhagavatam Lecture, January 21, 1974

What are the requirements to become a disciple?
    "In our Krishna Consciousness Movement the requirement is that one must be prepared to give up the four pillars of sinful life [...] In western countries especially we first observe whether a potential disciple is prepared to follow the regulative principles."

What is the minimum time requirement for before initiations.
    "In this way the disciple renders devotional service under the guidance of the spiritual master or his representatives for at least six months to a year."
    Spiritual master should study the potential disciple for at least six months.
    "The spiritual master should study the disciple's inquisitiveness for no less than six months or a year."
    "...disciplic succession does not always mean that one has to be initiated officially. Disciplic succession means to accept the disciplic conclusion."
    - Srila Prabhupada Letter to Dinesh, October 31, 1969
    "Well, initiation or no initiation, first thing is knowledge... knowledge. Initiation is formality. Just like you go to a school for knowledge, and admission is formality. That is not very important thing."
    - Srila Prabhupada Interview, October 16, 1976, Chandigarh
    "So there was no difficulty in communicating with Manu or Manu's son, Ikshvaku. The communication was there, or the radio system was so nice that communication could be transferred from one planet to another."
    - Srila Prabhupada Bhagavad-gita Lecture, August 24, 1968

"Srila Jiva Gosvami advises that one not accept a spiritual master in terms of hereditary or customary social, and ecclesiastical conventions."
    - Chaitanya Charitamrita Adi, 1.35, Purport

"Generally a spiritual master who constantly instructs a disciple in spiritual science becomes his initiating spiritual master later on."
    - Chaitanya Charitamrita Adi, 1.35, Purport  

"It is the duty of the siksa guru or diksha guru to instruct the disciple in the right way, and it depends on the disciple to execute the process. According toshastric injunctions, there is no difference between siksa guru and diksha guru, and generally the siksa guru later on becomes the diksha guru."
    -Srimad Bhagavatam 4.12.32, Purport

Pradyumna: Guru-padasrayah. "First one must take shelter of the lotus feet of a spiritual master." Tasmat krsna-dikshadi-siksanam. Tasmat, "from him",krsna-dikshadi-siksanam, "one should take krsna-diksha, initiation, and Siksha."

Srila Prabhupada: Diksha means divya-jnanam ksapayati iti diksha. Which explains the divya-jnana, transcendental, that is diksha. Di, divya, dikshanam. diksha. So divya-jnana, transcendental knowledge... If you don't accept a spiritual master, how you'll get transcen... You'll be taught here and there, here and there, and waste time. Waste time for the teacher and waste your valuable time. Therefore you have to be guided by an expert spiritual master. Read it.

Pradyumna: krsna-dikshadi-siksanam.
    Srila Prabhupada: Sikshanam. We have to learn. If you don't learn, how you'll make progress? Then?
    - Srila Prabhupada Room conversation, January 27, 1977, Bhubaneswar

I hope this helped you.

• Volunteer

Hare Krsna devotee.   Initiation brings you closer to the spiritual master.

Then you do bhajan under the gurus discipline and advance to the steady stage.

There is a nice book called    Guru and disciple     available from ISKCON.

Hare Krsna.

This reply was deleted.