How to convince my mother to let me do bhakti

Hare krishna, I'm a 16 year old boy and I'm very interested to do bhakti. I chant 4 rounds daily and read srila prabhupada books.But my mother is always against me.She says that she just doesn't want me to be a part of ISKCON  and these are all fake and brainwashing things, I mean I am good at studies and I even want to become a theoretical physicist, but my mother always verbally abuses me when she sees me doing chanting and reading spiritual books,even yesterday I was so depressed due to her.. she says," if you want to do all these things, then leave our home now only and become a monk" she mockingly harrases me and always says things against srila prabhupada and ISKCON philosophy always... i was so anxious that I just thought of asking here.

So please guide this idiot soul 🙏 😪 

Hare krishna 

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krishna Prabhu Ji!

PAMHO

Prabhu ji, don't worry many times our parents can get protective and also try to end our bhakti. But don't worry about that, trust Krishna and serve your mother nicely. Even in my home my parents don't allow me to preach or have devotee association. I'm also currently young and still in school so my parents say that since I'm so small I'll ruin my career being in devotion. but since I know it's their way of protecting me,I should understand not to be angry or depressed. In fact be so happy for since your background is hostile, your devotion will rise even more after struggling so hard. I once heard in a hari katha(youtube another way for bhakti) that if you have favourable surroundings then you progress in bhakti but if you have hostile background, you become a pure devotee! also prabhuji, if you're 16, then you can chant and read a little but the rest of the time please focus on your studies too since 11th standard (you are probably in 11th right?) is really crucial for studies and since you're good at studies, you should keep that up. Who knows when krishna needs that knowledge in his service? so you should sleep early, wake up extra early when everyone's sleeping and do your bhakti at that time and the rest of the day, study keeping Krishna in your mind. this way you make both your mom and krishna happy! for devotee association, this side is good, there are kathas on youtube (I listen from Amogh Lila Prabhu and Amarendra Prabhu while doing the homework which I have to copy in my notebook and not do any thinking work.) and you should take care of tulasi Maharani since she is the greatest vaishnava and you are serving her!

Hope this helps Prabhu Ji!

Good luck for being a theoretical physicist and a good devotee!

Hare Krishna!

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Paarth prabhu,

PAMHO.

Do not confront your mother. Always be very respectful of her. Chant early morning before everyone wakes up. 

It could be that your mother is insecure that you will one day become a monk and is therefore trying, in her way, to protect you. 

ISKCON is a wonderful organisation where lots of people have become pure devotees simply by chanting and following 4 regulative principles. You also follow to the extent possible for you.

Remember one thing, obstacles in devotion come to make our resolve stronger. Pray sincerely. All the obstacles in your path to devotion will be removed.

Haribol,

YOur servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

People will have different conceptions about various things. At your present circumstance, you should focus on practicing the process by yourself sicerely and quietly. In the beginning it is important to develop deep and strong faith in Krsna and Krsna consciousness. For this, sincere and disciplined practice and study of Srila Prabhuapda books/ lectures are required. There is no point in winning over anyone immediately. But we should not be discouraged by someone's opposition. At the same time we cannot be disrespectful. So best course is to practice quietly but intensely. 

The easiest way they will appreciate Krsna consciousness is by your good behaviour and good relationship with you. But it will take long time. Till that time we can pray for them to Krsna and focus on practicing bhakti by chanting and reading Srila Prahupada's books. Also keep in mind that your academic studies are not compromised. I know devotees who were introduced to KC in college, started practicing bhakti and are now scientists. 

Every single devotee goes through this phase in the beginnig. Avoid confrontation as much as possible with parents. 

Hare Krsna

• This reply was deleted.
    • Sir, she is hindu and has a masters degree in arts, she hugely believes in lord krishna but she doesn't like the ways and philosophy of iskcon ..for example speaking while chanting..,she actually believes in lord krishna but doesn't want me to follow the ways of iskcon ....Hare krishna prabhu g 

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

This makes ur practice easy. We have to softly utter the mahamantra just so that you can hear the mantra.

Hare Krsna

• Hare Krishna,

Bhakti is one to one relationship with God. You need no one else permission to do bhakti.  You can do bhakti silently in mind and also read books silently at some place. Can be like a library or sit in some park or temple to read daily little bit. Doing rounds also need not be a show off or exhibition.  You can practise bhakti in heart and chant in mind also. or chanting in low tone. 

You need not convince anyone to accept your bhakti. Actually you are making her angered and talk ill about the instituion and Acharya in a way you making her do more sins. So please have mercy on your mother and practise bhakti silently.  Many people don't come to Krishna consciousness so easily. They will take their own time. But don't make them commit more and more offenses so that they are taken away from Krishna too far from bhakti. So do silently practise bhakti until you get ur degree and you get a job and you are on your own..., have to tolerate some people.

I hope you have a room of your own. When you chant or read scriptures to your self. Or if in case you don't have a room of ur own then go to the nearby temple, park or some secluded place in your home to do reading, terrace or some place.  4 rounds takes maximum 30-35 min. and reading you will take 30 min more. daily make a routine that you will spare some 1 hour out of ur daily studies and use it wisely for practicing Krishna consciouness.

You can even get up early at 4am when others in the house are not awake by then and finish off ur chanting and reading before they get up.

Hare Krishna.

• Thanks mataji for your advice, I will surely follow it 

This reply was deleted.