How Kali influenced Sringi ? ( from SB 1.17 AND SB1.18)

Hare Krishna,

I am looking for an answer to the question in subject line. Need help.

Sb 1.17.38/39 -> We can see that Maharaj Parikshit gave Kali permission to reside in places where gambling, drinking, prostitution and animal slaughter were performed and the 5th place where there is gold.

Sb1.18.35 Purport says: the personality of Kali got the opportunity to reign through this son of a brāhmaṇa, Śṛṅgi.

My question: 

How Kali influenced that brahman as Kali was only permitted to reside in 5 places ?  Was it because Brahman Sringi somehow connected to the 5 places where Kali was permitted to reside ?  Can Kali stay in places other than those 5 permitted ones ?

- Jai shri Krishna !! Jai Bhakt Prahlad ki jai !!

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sevak

Hare Krsna

Can Kali stay in places other than those 5 permitted ones ?

No

How Kali influenced that brahman as Kali was only permitted to reside in 5 places ?  Was it because Brahman Sringi somehow connected to the 5 places where Kali was permitted to reside ? 

Firstly we have to understand that these 5 places are not just physical buildings or physical spaces. In addition to being physical places, they are much more.

There are four dharmic (religious) principles namely 1.Satya(Truthfulness) 2.Sauca (Cleanliness) 3. Daya (Mercy) 4. Tapasya (Austerity).

The four principles which are completely against the above are 1. Cheating 2. Uncleanliness 3. Indiscriminate Killing 4.Unrestricted illusory sense-enjoyment

There are four activities that are epitome of these adharmic principles : 1. Gambling 2. Illicit sex 3.Meat eating 4.Intoxication. 

Any inclination within a person that goes against the dharmic principles becomes the ground for Kali to infuence. The inclinations of a person are present in the mind. Thus Kali is present in such a person's mind and can influence the person to perform such adharmic actions. Once a person performs such adharmic activity then Kali takes more control of that person. So place does not refer to physical space but also subtle space. Like the old saying goes - Empty mind is devil's workshop. 

There are may other activities that are not epitome of adharmic activities but are very very sinful. Example - Abortion is directly against Mercy. Giving false witness in court is against truthfulness.

There should be no doubt that kali has serious influence on these activities and persons involved are seriously under the grip of Kali.

It is not that Sringi had performed any activity that was sinful. Srila Prabhupada mentions the following in the same purport to SB 1.18.25

The personality of Kali-yuga, therefore, was seeking the opportunity to establish authority, and by the grace of the Lord he found a hole in the puffed-up, inexperienced son of a brāhmaṇa. The little brāhmaṇa wanted to show his prowess in destruction, and he had the audacity to punish such a great king as Mahārāja Parīkṣit. He wanted to take the place of Lord Kṛṣṇa after His departure.

The reason why sringi could be influenced by Kali was because the brahmana boy had a little inclination to take place of Krsna and he was ready to use his brahminical power against devotee of Krsna. This is the same inclination that Kali has - To become God and harm devotees. Kali was doing this by decorating himself like an ugly king and hurting mother cow and dharma bull. 

The most important thing to remember is wherever the nine processes of devotional service takes place kali's infuence cannot be there. Especially in place where and when chanting and hearing of glories of the supreme personality of absolute truth Krsna takes place. 

Hare Krsna

• Hare Krishna Prabhuji,

You have explanined so nicely. Thanks a lot. Now It is clear to me.

Thank you.

- Jai Shri Krishna !! Jai Bhakt Prahlad ki jai !!

• one more thing i would like to add is..

brahmin birth, though Ravana was a brahmin ...he was also well versed in all shastras and was a great devotee of Lord shiva. But then He started to feel pride that no one can defeat him, not even gods. Then it was time for his end in the hands of Lord.. even Hirankashap was evil and he also felt pride that no one is as great as him. Do you think in those days Kali was acting on their heads?

Demons were given a chance to become Brahmins .. so that they can utilize this birth to gain good merits and go back to Godhead. but if they are still puffed up then its time for Kali to act thru them.

SB.1.18.47

purport.

The typical example is the son of Śamīka Ṛṣi, and all the foolish sons of brāhmaṇas are warned hereby not to become as foolish as Śṛṅgi and to be always on guard against the demoniac qualities which they had in their previous births. The foolish boy was, of course, excused by the Lord, but others, who may not have a father like Śamīka Ṛṣi, will be put into great difficulty if they misuse the advantages obtained by birth in a brāhmaṇa family.

Previous birth traits carried ..caused this Shringi rsi to behave like that.

See If I am  Shudra in last birth and did some little good karma to get a Brahmin life this birth.. God gave me chance to improve my condition and uplift myself. But If i still cannot overcome the past birth's Vasanas then I am sure to fall down again.

Hare krishna.

• Hare Krishna,

Yes none of the Srila Prabhupada Purports mentions about the crown worn by King Parikshit was owned by the defeated king Jarasandha that day. I regret.. But this part is mentioned else where. Maybe the kid brahmana is immature enough to control anger. And maybe its all Lord's plan to make king Parikshit Maharaj to commit a sin and then get a curse and Rsi Shringi was just playing his role there.. as per the plan.

Kali acts thru the boy ( brahmin boy was young, uncontrolled with high power in hand) he can curse .. and brahmin's curse or boon never goes futile.

Kali wanted to show his influence on the king who was wearing the gold crown. as he sat on the head of King Parikshit. SB 1.18.34.35

Text 34:
    The descendants of the kingly orders are definitely designated as watchdogs, and they must keep themselves at the door. On what grounds can dogs enter the house and claim to dine with the master on the same plate?
    Text 35:
    After the departure of Lord Śrī Kṛṣṇa, the Personality of Godhead and supreme ruler of everyone, these upstarts have flourished, our protector being gone. Therefore I myself shall take up this matter and punish them. Just witness my power.

When a person feels he is equal to Supreme personality of Godhead that is the time when demon can attack you.  

False ego that he is greater than God was the one which made even Hiranyakashap a demon.

Even before Kaliyug entering also there were these kinds of triats in people which made them demons.

Sura pana ( intoxication), animal killing and selfishly hurting people and sages with out compassion and unkempt people lacking cleanlinesss,gambling were all present before Kali entering too.

This trait in brahmina boy is not newly coming from Kali occupying his head and spoiling him.

The last birth of the brahmin boy cud have been a demon. as per SB Srila Prabhupada book.

let me quote that purport also.

https://vedabase.io/en/library/sb/1/18/34/

" This mentality of false prestige is the cause of downfall of the perfect social order"

https://vedabase.io/en/library/sb/1/18/32/

But because the Age of Kali was seeking an opportunity to spoil the cultural heritage of the four orders of life, the inexperienced boy gave a chance for the Age of Kali to enter into the field of Vedic culture. Hatred of the lower orders of life began from this brāhmaṇaboy, under the influence of Kali, and thus cultural life began to dwindle day after day. The first victim of brahminical injustice was Mahārāja Parīkṣit, and thus the protection given by the King against the onslaught of Kali was slackened.

Brahmin's were respected by Kings in those days. They used to take advice of brahaminas before they started any work. 

See now there is no caste system no longer no one is following varna and ashrama all this started as a seed in the head of this brahmin boy.  This is the effect of full fledged kali prabhav now.

In satyuga also there were people like Hiranayakashap and kamsa , Ravana who were prideful and who thought they were eqaul to God.  

Kali resides in yet another place...where there is no respect for God. Where there is atheism. Where there is feeling We are greater than God.

The momment this idea came into the head of this brahmin boy. they Kali took over him

Text 35: After the departure of Lord Śrī Kṛṣṇa, the Personality of Godhead and supreme ruler of everyone, these upstarts have flourished, our protector being gone. Therefore I myself shall take up this matter and punish them. Just witness my power.

See look at this brahmin boy. He got this idea that he will handle now and do justice himself as he thought lord Sri krsna has departed. 

this brahmin boy is puffed up with pride and ego that he can do the justice himself and he can take the place of Lord Sri Krishna Himself.

This is what happened to Hiranyakashyap when he felt he is GOD himself.

Look this is not new. Even in Satyuga and treta yuga there were demons who used to drink, gamble, go to prostitutes and also did killing of harmless people and animals.

The demonic idea that I am be the owner of the whole Universe and Lord over it. I am God himself this idea when it creeps in. That is time for Kali to enter the head.

There are 5 places mentioned but the fifth place is where there is False ego that he or she is god himself. They puffed up with pride look down on other people like insects.

Text 34: The descendants of the kingly orders are definitely designated as watchdogs, and they must keep themselves at the door. On what grounds can dogs enter the house and claim to dine with the master on the same plate?

pride is also okay but when ur pride becomes false ego that..I am God himself. I will take up the act of punishing others. 

hope it helps.

Hare Krishna.

"'

ŚB 1.18.34
    • Hare Krishna mataji,

Yes it helps. Thank you. Nice explanations. I got my answer. Thanks a lot.

• Hare Krishna mataji,

Thanks for your kind reply. Below are few points for further clarification. 

1. Is it mentioned somewhere that Maharaj Parikshita was taking Jarasandha's crown ? None of the SB purports by Prabhupada mentions that point. 

2. From below verses we could see that Sringi was not in the hermitage. He was away playing with friends. 

Sb1.18.32: ....While he was playing with inexperienced boys, he heard of his father’s distress, which was occasioned by the King.....

Sb1.18.36: The son of the ṛṣi, his eyes red-hot with anger, touched the water of the River Kauśika while speaking to his playmates and discharged the following thunderbolt of words.

Sb1.18.38: Thereafter, when the boy returned to the hermitage, he saw a snake on his father’s shoulder, and out of his grief he cried very loudly.

Why I am asking these question -

May be by keeping away from this 5 things physically is not sufficient to get rid of the influence of kali. Are there other aspects to it which Sringi was not careful and so he was attacked by Kali ?

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

When Kali got the benedictrion from Parikshit Maharaj that he can stay in 5 places - gambling, intoxication, prostitution & animal killing and 5th gold, Kali immediately went and sat on Parikshit Maharaj's crown. THat is the reason he could not tolerate thirst and put the snake around the neck of that rishi. 

Kali made Shringi rishi his instrument as in - he was a young brahmin boy, well versed in shastra, but inexperienced, Therefore, when he heard what had happened to his father, he cursed the king without thinking of the consequences. As you are aware, it was very common for rishis to curse in those times. 

Kali was intrumental in triggering the curse given by Shringi. 

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Hare Krishna mataji,

Thank you for your kind reply. 

From SB purports we see that Kali could not affect Maharaj Parikshit at all. It was mentioned as - "To become angry in such a grave situation was not unnatural for the King, but because the King himself was not less than a great saint, his becoming angry and taking action were astonishing. So it must be accepted that it was so ordained by the supreme will of the Lord. The King was a great devotee of the Lord, and the saint was also as good as the King. But by the will of the Lord, the circumstances were so created that they became ways to the King’s becoming unattached to family connection and governmental activities and thus becoming a completely surrendered soul unto the lotus feet of Lord Kṛṣṇa."

Where as we could see in SB1.18.35 purport that Sringi was under Kali's influence. So I got my question that how Kali could get a chance to influence that brahman boy as he was allowed to reside only in 5 places.

- Jai Shri Krishna !! Jai Bhakt Prahlad ki jai !!

This reply was deleted.