Home temple

Hari Bol,

For a home temple, I am thinking for the location at home, the best place I could think of was the conservatory. The only issue I see is that during winter it gets very cold. 

I can put a heater in the room however, it may not be practical to keep it on all night. Would it be ok for the deities to be in a cold room? 

I am a complete novice with Arti but will try and be consistent with my efforts. 

I am going to be worshiping Lord Jagannath as he is very merciful and hope will pardon any mistakes I make. 

Any advice would be great.

YS 

Anil

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

Its very nice to know that you are planning to make an altar at home. 

What I have heard from HG Jananivas Prabhuji once - that for home deities, one has to set a standard of service and stick to it. Ideally, keep the standard very minimal in the beginning, increase as and when you are comfortable. One has to look forward to serving deities at home, it should not be a burden. Ideally, there should be atleast 1 arati in a day, 1 offering of bhoga in a day (ideally offer whatever you eat or drink), and abhishek atleast once in 15 days. 

Arati - I am telling you the ideal - you see what is workable for you - mangal arati - ideally between 4.30 to 5.30 am. Start with dhoop sticks, then pancha pradeep (5 ghee wicks lamp), then arghya (water in conch), then cloth, then chamar, then peacock feather fan. 

Lord Jagannath is very merciful, very fond of food. Please keep adequate supply of food to be offered to Jagannath. At the same time, be realistic. Whatever standard you set, you have to stick to it as a minimum standard. I hope your deities are in wood. Jagannath deities are happy in wood, as HG Jananivas prabhuji mentioned. Abhishek of these deities are done once in a year (at the time of snana yatra). Even then, we have to be careful, there should be no harsh/ dark colours used. For the rest of the year, one does abhishek by cleaning the deities with dedicated, soft, clean wet cloth. When the deities need to be coloured again, please get Them coloured again, by an expert devotee. 

Best of luck. Enjoy your deities service at home. 

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Thank you very much, for your advice. Very useful. 

• Sevak

Hare Krsna Pr

You can arrange set of warm clothes for deities. And also blankets when u put them for rest depending on size and space.

YS Bharat

This reply was deleted.