Hare Krishna!

PAMHO

Having married, is it compulsory to have kids?

Having kids will help to advance in Krishna conscious?

Personally not interested to have kids as its a huge responsibility, how to face the pressure from parents /society?

I hope you understood my above query.

Thank you very much.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krishna!

Fruit tea and greet tea  is allowed but not black tea because it contains caffeine.

Licit sex is only for the production of children thus illicit is everything that does not produce good KC children. 

Literally speaking we don't have a rule that goes Do not eat garlic and onions but serious devotees do not eat these things. There is a long explanations for this that you'd might like to look up. it is somewhere on this site. Onions and garlics will lead to demonic mentality. ...

Your servant : Gaura-Priya

• Hare krishna!!!!
    Pamho
    Is it complusory to get married for a Devotee?
    • Hare Krishna!

A devotee does not need to get married or at least not in the West. Matajis' have ashrams too and can serve and live in celibacy all their lives. I'll just add that while most matajis move in to this brahmacarini ashram but  many end up getting married and becoming grihastras. ( excuse the spelling) This later is accepted as well, basically you can remain celibate as long as you wish but at any time you can decide that you want to switch ashrams too. At least in the west. Hope this helps. In India things as different though. 

BTW : I think the question has been missunderstood. The question was should all devotees get married? not that should all devotes marry devotees? Of course Bhaktin Maral's question is very valid as well. 

Your servant : Gaura-Priya 

• Volunteer

Same question here :x

if Devotees are not going to follow 4 regulative principles then what is the difference of a Devotee husband and a non Devotee one?

Your servant, 

• Dear Prabhus and Matajis, Hare Krishna. All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

I find this topic needs to be considered also in regard to time, place and circumtances. I agree with the vedic version that marriage means having children (except nature doesn't allow). At the same time we can see that in different places in the world having and raising children goes along with different challenges and conditions. I don't think that there should be a mendatory formula for all couples no matter what. We can have a look back at the ISKCON history, and see, how much damage was done because people had simply been pushed to marry "someone" and to have children "on spott". In my understanding parents must be ready to receive a child, and there are psychological, financial, political and social aspects to it. In India for example the family as a social network is much more functional than in many western countries. Many people cannot depend on their parents or grandparents etc. There are much more by themselves. So, it requires a good community as well. Particularly in ISKCON there is mostly a big lack of social structure, and the existing social structures often provide a lot of pain to the devotees (guru kula scandals etc.).

Sincerely,

Keshava Madhava das

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna dear Devotees, please accept my humble obeisances! All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

if no desire for sex then there is no need of having kids be one married or not.

But such type of people are very, very rare. It is true to take care of kids will take much energy. If no kids then one should use that energy in the service of Guru and Krishna and that will help couples to progress spiritually.

Then wife and husband can accept Vanaprastha ashram which means no much energy spend on earning too much money and live luxuriously but stay simple and use much time for spiritual practices. So means one should always be in one ashram.

Not married man staying in the family is out of any ashram. Correctly he should be married or move to the brahmachari ashram or else he is living a life of a sense enjoyer...

Of course to take care of kids is a big responsibility but if one of them becomes a great Devotee then he will take all family back to home to Spiritual world as like Dhruva Maharaja and Prahlada Maharaja.

So human life is meant for tapasya nor for sense enjoyment.

Your servant, 

• I would advise you to engage in seva and consider everything as Guru and Krishna's property.

This includes your house, your car, your bank account, your activity and your daily seva as well as your good self. 

Alike Bhaktivinoda Thakur, you will pray:

sarvasva tomār,  caraṇe saḿpiyā, poḍechi tomāra ghare tumi to’ ṭhākur,  tomāra kukur, boliyā jānaho more

Now that I have surrendered all I possess, I fall prostrate before Your house. You are the Supreme Lord.

Kindly consider me the watchdog of your household.

Then view your wife as Radha-Krishna dasi and if you ever get children, do also consider them as Radha-Krishna das and Radha-Krishna dasi. Hence, you will be able to become a Krishna conscious householder and devotee and in the footsteps of Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakur, you will be able to say:

manasa, deha, geha, jo kichu mora arpilu tuwa pade, nanda-kishora! 

Mind, body, family, everything I own I offer at Your lotus feet, O Nanda-kishora!

sampade vipade, jivane-marane daya mama gela, tuwa o-pada varane

In good fortune or in bad, in life or in death, I take shelter at Your lotus feet.

All of my possessions I have given to You so now I no longer take any responsibility for them.

marabi, rakhabi - jo iccha tohara nitya-dasa prati tuwa adhikara

Slay me or protect me as You wish. You have this right because I am Your eternal servant.

So, kindly please surrender your will to Krishna's will. Become His servant and accomplish His will. 

Let Him take charge and only endeavour to please Him.

If it is His will that you beget children, then let it be so. If not, then, let it also be.
    Our goal is to become pure devotees, not to become parents or not.

But tp become pure devotees, we have to surrender our will to the Supreme Will.
    And trust that Krishna will maintain us and protect us in all circumstances. 

So place everything in Krishna's hand, including yourself and you will feel happy and secure.

The life of a devotee is not meant to be lived in fear. Rather, be bold for Krishna.

And be ready to avail the opportunity for some souls to take birth in the family of devotees...

Hare Krishna

Das dasanudasa

Puskaraksa das Vanacari

• Dear Prabhuji,

PAMHO 

If you don't generate kids, the government will not put you behind the bars or penalise you. Hence, legally speaking, it is not mandatory/compulsory to have kids  : ) : )

Vedically speaking, householders have duty towards their ancestors. Hence, they should produce offspring.

Krishna consciously speaking, a pure devotee of Krishna gets exemption from above provision of Vedas. : ) : ) : )

Socially speaking, if you are adamant to not have any kids, your wife, mother and mother law... will start throwing tantrums which will really make you mad and surely it will affect your devotional life : ) : ) : ) : )

Now, it is up to you prabhuji, to take the decision : ) : ) : ) : ) : )

Chant Hare Krishna and be happy !!!

Your dasa

Harshikesh

• Volunteer

Hare Krsna devotee.    In our ISKCON there are some couples who do not want children but this is not natural or recommended.

If you do not want children and take responsibility for them then you should not get married.

We cannot condone the use of contraceptives and abortion in any way.

To dovetail your desire for sex in the service of the Lord you should perform garbhadan samskara

and train the child to be devoted to the Lord.

In this way you will be purified and all your desires will be fulfilled and make progress.

To think you will be happier by disregarding the direction of Guru and shastra is folly.

A devotee owes no debts to the forefathers because he is fully engaged in the service of the Lord but this does not apply in regard to begetting children with your vaisnavi wife.

All young women should be given marriage to a suitable youthful husband who cares for them and conceive children.

Then there will be happiness for the women and there will be prosperity .

Such religious acts are never to abandoned in the name of family planning and modern life.

So if you don''t like kids then better stay a brahmacari or take sannyasa.

Or you are not a grhastha but a grhamedhi.

This reply was deleted.