Hare Krishna!

PAMHO

Having married, is it compulsory to have kids?

Having kids will help to advance in Krishna conscious?

Personally not interested to have kids as its a huge responsibility, how to face the pressure from parents /society?

I hope you understood my above query.

Thank you very much.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare krishna

Me to apse yahi kehna chahunga ki ye sab bate kudarat se judi huvi he, aap apne aap ko hari om krishna me concentrate kare,

kal ki bat ki koi gurantee nahi de sakta vo sub god ke hath me he, vo sab hari om khrishna ke hath me.

"मन की गतिविधियों, होश, श्वास, और भावनाओं के माध्यम से भगवान की शक्ति सदा तुम्हारे साथ है; और लगातार तुम्हे बस एक साधन की तरह प्रयोग कर के सभी कार्य कर रही है"

• gurur na sa syāt sva-jano na sa syāt

pitā na sa syāj jananī na syāt

daivam na tat syān na patiś ca sa syān

na mocayed yah samupeta-mrtyum

"One who cannot deliver his dependents from the path of repeated birth and death should never become a spiritual master, a father, a husband, a mother or a worshipable demigod.

There are many spiritual masters, but Ṛṣabhadeva advises that one should not become a spiritual master if he is unable to save his disciple from the path of birth and death. Unless one is a pure devotee of Krsna, he cannot save himself from the path of repeated birth and death. Tyaktvā deham punar janma naiti mām eti so'rjuna [Bg. 4.9]. One can stop birth and death only by returning home, back to Godhead. However, who can go back to Godhead unless he understands the Supreme Lord in truth? Janma karma ca me divyam evaḿ yo vetti tattvatah [Bg. 4.9].

We have many instances in history illustrating Ṛṣabhadeva's instructions. Śukrācārya was rejected by Bali Mahārāja due to his inability to save Bali Mahārāja from the path of repeated birth and death. Śukrācārya was not a pure devotee, he was more or less inclined to fruitive activity, and he objected when Bali Mahārāja promised to give everything to Lord Visnu. Actually one is supposed to give everything to the Lord because everything belongs to the Lord. Consequently, the Supreme Lord advises in Bhagavad-gītā (9.27):

"O son of Kuntī, all that you do, all that you eat, all that you offer and give away, as well as all austerities that you may perform, should be done as an offering unto Me." This is bhakti. Unless one is devoted, he cannot give everything to the Supreme Lord. Unless one can do so, he cannot become a spiritual master, husband, father or mother. Similarly, the wives of the brāhmaṇas who were performing sacrifices gave up their relatives just to satisfy Krsna. This is an example of a wife rejecting a husband who cannot deliver her from the impending dangers of birth and death. Similarly, Prahlāda Mahārāja rejected his father, and Bharata Mahārāja rejected his mother (jananī na syāt). The word daivam indicates a demigod or one who accepts worship from a dependent. Ordinarily, the spiritual master, husband, father, mother or superior relative accepts worship from an inferior relative, but here Ṛṣabhadeva forbids this. First the father, spiritual master or husband must be able to release the dependent from repeated birth and death. If he cannot do this, he plunges himself into the ocean of reproachment for his unlawful activities. Everyone should be very responsible and take charge of his dependents just as a spiritual master takes charge of his disciple or a father takes charge of his son. All these responsibilities cannot be discharged honestly unless one can save the dependent from repeated birth and death.

• My wife and I discovered we are not able to have children. I already have a 14 year old daughter to an ex-girlfriend that lives 3000 miles away that I never get to see or speak to. Because we have a nice house, my wife and I have separate bedrooms anyway because it makes life so much easier. I love her very much and consider it my duty now since there can be no children to help her advance spiritually. We have a wonderful, peaceful relationship of complete mutual respect. I wrote more about this in a blog that's waiting to be approved. Does this mean that our relationship is for nothing? I really don't think so because I feel that as a devotee I still have a responsibility to her. I have prayed much about this to Krishna for guidance. 

I realize that many of you here are from India, and may look down upon me for the crazy life I've led. I know that my misadventures are totally unconventional, but my country is a crazy, chaotic, sinful place, and people like me get swept up in it many times. All I can do now is work with what I have to the best of my ability and serve Lord Krishna and His devotees in any ways that I can. I thank you all for your kindness and patience with such a sinner as myself. Hare Krishna!

• Volunteer

so much honesty! What is needed in this age the most for becoming very dear Devotee of Krishna, isn't it?!

• I agree. I'm doing everything possible right now to attempt to be a good devotee. My only guidance in this is from Srila Prabhupada's books and lectures, the books and lectures from other amazing gurus, and the help from the wonderful devotees on this website.

I do sincerely apologize if anything I post offends anyone here, or if I seem arrogant at times. I need your help and guidance in my devotional life, and truly appreciate any advice or criticism. Hare Krishna!

• grihastha means familly life .. mean children etc .. you want to marry only to enjoy  that all ..  make your children devotee its a service .. if u dont want children better not marry ..

• Jai Prabhupada

Mahaprabhu was married but did He have child? Of course, we cant imitate Mahaprabhu.

• Certainly all the comments present the correct and ideal philosophy. I miss though that there is discussion about implementing this philosophy effectively in a society which is practically anti-vedic. And yes, if the husband is not strong as a devotee, or the wife not strong as a devotee you should look for someone who is stronger. But what is with those who are weaker? How do they progress? Where do they find shelter? (Please don't just say in chanting Hare Krishna...)

Certainly India looks different than Europe, and Europe different than Africa or China.

Actually there is no such thing as brahmacarinis, though this facility is given nowadays. This is totally unvedic. Srila Prabhupada says at many places that woman are not to be trained in vedic knowledge as men are. They should be trained to be chaste wifes (of course having knowledge about religious principles). Because if they are trained like men, they will want to be independent and this causes disturbances, what we can practically see already. Also it is questionable that sannyasis have lots of female disciples adoring and worshiping them (instead of their husband, or having a husband who is a proper vaishnava).

We have a divorce rate of above 90% amongst devotees. This is alarming! So simply stating all over again what is originally vedic obviously doesn't suffice to make people living up to it.

Sincerely,

Keshava Madhava das

• hare krishna mihir prabhu,

In following the 4 regulated principles ,Is  drinking tea treated as intoxication , is masturbation illicit sex and does eating onions and garlic come in the 4 regulative principles.

Kindly clear the above doubts at the earliest .Looking forward to devotees replies.

• Hare Krishna Prabhu

Out of that,  drinking tea is treated as intoxication

and sorry I don't know about the rest

This reply was deleted.