Eagerness

From the Padma Purana: "My Lord, I know that young girls have natural affection for young boys, and that young boys have natural affection for young girls. I am praying at Your lotus feet that my mind may become attracted unto You in the same spontaneous way."

From the Nectar of Devotion: One should feelingly pray and become eager to render his particular service to the Lord...one should learn how to cry for the Lord...such tears are the price for the highest perfection. If one develops this laulyam, or excessive eagerness for meeting and serving the Lord in a particular way, that is the price to enter into the kingdom of God.

When one is sufficiently eager to achieve success in devotional service, that eagerness is called samutkantha. This means "complete eagerness." Actually this eagerness is the price for achieving success in Krsna consciousness...It is stated in the Vedic literature that to purchase the most valuable thing, Krsna consciousness, one has to develop intense eagerness for achieving success.

I am such a fool and a rascal that I am always eager for sense gratification, and only sometimes a little eager for Krsna consciousness. Still, I'm hopeful.

In this connection, also from the Nectar of Devotion: Rupa Gosvami prays, "I have no love for Krsna, nor for the causes of developing love of Krsna - namely, hearing and chanting. And the process of bhakti-yoga, by which one is always thinking of Krsna and fixing His lotus feet in the heart, is also lacking in me. As far as philosophical knowledge or pious works are concerned, I don't see any opportunity for me to execute such activities. But above all, I am not even born of a nice family. Therefore I must simply pray to You, Gopijana-vallabha. I simply wish and hope that some way or other I may be able to approach Your lotus feet, and this hope is giving me pain, because I think myself quite incompetent to approach that transcendental goal of life."

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer
    Eagerness? You want eagerness? Go out every day for at least two minutes. Spiritual momentum will manifest and grow in your life and miracles will happen. It is guaranteed by the Jagad Guru. Who is doing? My wife did it without fail for the first year of her devotional career in the ISKCON temple in San Diego. Now she is the Jagannatha pujari in the ISKCON temple in Vallabh Vidyanagar here in Gujarat. Who can understand the power of the Holy Name? Prabhupada used to say, "Try it, you'll like it." Chant the Holy Name and your life will be sublime. Chant and be happy. Who doesn't think this is true? So then, who is doing?
  • Volunteer
    "Vijnapti pancaka" text:

matsamo nasti papatma
    naparadhi ca kascana
    parihare 'pi lajja me
    kim bruve purusottama

yuvatinam yatha yuni
    yunam ca yuvatau yatha
    mano 'bhiramate tadvan
    mano me ramatam tvayi

"O Purusottama, there is no sinful person or offender who is equal to me. How
    can I describe my shame? Just as the minds of young ladies take pleasure in a
    young man, and the minds of young men take pleasure in a young woman, kindly
    let my mind take pleasure in You, alone."

bhumau skhalitapadanam
    bhumir evavalambanam
    tvayi jataparadhanam
    tvam eva saranam prabho

"Just as the ground is the only support for those whose feet have slipped, so
    also You alone are the only shelter, even for those who have committed
    offense to You."

govindavallabhe radhe
    prarthaye tvam aham sada
    tvadiyam iti janatu
    govindo mam tvaya saha

"O Srimati Radharani, the dearest of Lord Govinda, this is always my request
    to You. Please let Lord Govinda, along with Yourself, consider me to be one
    of Your assistants."

radhe vrndavanadhise
    karunamrtavahini
    krpaya nijapadabja
    dasyam mahyam pradiyatam

"O Srimati Radharani, O queen of Vrndavana, You are a riverflowing with the
    nectar of mercy. Please be kind upon me, andgive me a little service at Your
    lotus feet."
    • Hari bol, Sarvopama Prabhu, How are you? I didn't get a notice that you had replied. I am just now seeing your reply. Those are beautiful verses. I'm not familiar with the "Vijnapti pancaka." Please tell me something about it. I'm reading "Jaya Jaganatha", as you recommended. Very interesting. Jaya Prabhupada!
This reply was deleted.