Disturbing Purports

These are quoted from the Srila Prabhupada's purports of the Srimad Bhagavatam.Srimad Bhagavatam Canto 4, Chapter 25 Text 41"A man is always famous for his aggression toward a beautiful woman, and such aggression is sometimes considered rape. Although rape is not legally allowed, it is a fact that a woman likes a man who is very expert at rape."Srimad Bhagavatam Canto 4, Chapter 25 Text 42"As soon as a woman attains the age of puberty, she immediately becomes very much agitated by sexual desire. It is therefore the duty of the father to get his daughter married before she attains puberty. Otherwise she will be very much mortified by not having a husband."NOTE: I AM IN NO WAY TRYING TO DEFAME HIS GRACE. These are his words. What do you make of them?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Feminism is vital in a world where women have been both worshipped and abused. We can't dismiss the reality of the injustice that has been done to women down the years. Everything from domestic violence, child marriage, forced marriage, sexual abuse, teasing, harassment, trafficking, dowry deaths...I feel faith is supposed to make us better people. Nothing can justify relegating human beings to the status of second class and inferior beings. When I was influenced by this movement, I was touched by the respect given to Radha. I thought, here's a movement that we needed. But this discussion tells me that may not be so
    • Sevak

Hare Krsna

Feminism is vital

Thank you for admitting your AGENDA. These forums are for making spiritual advancement. Feminism etc are based on bodily or material consciousness. Your baseless judgement of divine words of Srila Prabhupada based on bodily consciousness are not welcome because they are too narrow. Spiritual understanding is beyond bodily designations. 

We can't dismiss the reality of the injustice that has been done to women down the years.

Nobody is dismissing it. The ideas you intend to transmit are in the wrong place. We are here to make spiritual progress. Nobody is dismissing anything. 

I was touched by the respect given to Radha. I thought, here's a movement that we needed. But this discussion tells me that may not be so

This is classic case of selective acceptance and collective rejection. Please be advised that slandering Krsna consciousness movement based on narrow minded feminist ideas are not welcomed. We do not disrespect Srimati Radharani. We worship Sri Rama & Sri Krsna the protector of chaste women. The poison of feminism will not be allowed to spread here. 

Hare Krsna

• Hare Krishna and PAMHO,

I would like to thank you for clearing this up. I did not mean to offend, I only seek the truth.

Joseph
    • Sevak

Hare Krsna

Disturbing Purports : 

Every conditioned living entity who is in material world presumably to perform sense gratification independent of Sri Krsna will find Bhaktivedanta Purports to be disturbing. It is natural. Purports of Srila Prabhupada are to favorable to give-up our sense gratification. For a conditioned soul this is very disturbing. 

These are his words. What do you make of them?

The statements made are in simple plain English. Srila Prabhupada has presented his purports unhesitatingly for benefits of his followers. There is nothing unclear or unambiguous with the statements. What Srila Prabhupada wants us to make of them has been given. Hence that is exactly what we need to make of them. 

I AM IN NO WAY TRYING TO DEFAME HIS GRACE.

It is good. 

I only seek the truth.

It will be disturbing. Please be prepared.

Hare Krsna

• E-Counselor

Dear Joseph,

Hare Krishna,

I'm sure that before posting your question here you have not read the verses before & after these particular slokas. If you had, then these questions woud not have arisen at all. It is only when you read these particular lines out of the context then the question arises. This is not the first time that this question has come up but all were only because people didn't read the verses before & after this.

Anyways for the benefit of other people who see this question. The detailed answer has been put on the website of

BBT: http://goo.gl/pVdLUj

Dandavats: http://www.dandavats.com/?p=6852

Please go through the answeres with an open mind. You are sure to get relieved of the doubt.

Radha Rasikraj Das 

ISKCON Desire Tree - हिंदी 

मो. : 9323 547 108, 9987 94 94 94  ई-मेल : idesiretree.hindi@gmail.com

वेबसाइट: hindi.iskcondesiretree.com  फेसबुक: www.facebook.com/IDesireTreeHindi

• Hare Krsna Prabhu,

A Similar question was posed to HG Sriman Sankarshan Das Adhikari on his Ultimate Self Realization course, and he has nicely answered it:

Qstn: "I read something horrendous and sacrilegious about Srila Prabhupada on Facebook yesterday. A statement that women enjoy rape was attributed to Srila Prabhupada. In fact, the person who has posted such an obnoxious thing on his wall is a journalist living in Delhi, and he was even my colleague. I have such a low opinion of him that I have kept away from him, and I happened to find the blasphemous statement on a common friend's wall. If you would issue your rejoinder, I would do my bit in posting that as a comment, of course, giving you the credit. Kindly let me know what exactly was Sri Prabhupada's statement, if he ever made any statement on the subject.

Radha Krishna"

Ans: "Sometimes due to misinformation the teachings of bona fide spiritual masters like Srila Prabhupada are misunderstood and unduly criticized without any attempt to understand the context of what is being stated. Here is exactly what Srila Prabhupada states in his purport to Srimad Bhagavatam 4.25.41:

"A man is always famous for his aggression toward a beautiful woman, and such aggression is sometimes considered rape. Although rape is not legally allowed, it is a fact that a woman likes a man who is very expert at rape.”

So what is the proper understanding of this? Srila Prabhupada is not referring to what is ordinarily defined nowadays as rape. He is talking about a man who is expert at the art of seducing women. According the laws of Vedic culture, in additional to forcible rape, seduction is also considered to be rape. Vedic culture prescribes that sex can only be indulged in for procreation, not for recreation. Even now in material society, if a man seduces a girl who is not an adult, this is considered rape, statutory rape. The Vedic culture broadens the conception of rape to also include seducing an adult woman.

Research confirms that women do enjoy being seduced. So what Srila Prabhupada is stating is certainly a fact. However, when one awakens his dormant Krishna consciousness he is no longer interested in such low class material enjoyment, which karmically obliges one to become an animal such as a pig in this next life. This is because when one becomes Krishna conscious he relishes a much greater pleasure than sex in the constant association of Lord Sri Krishna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the reservoir of unlimited pleasure.

So kindly straighten out this misinformed journalist who has so grossly misrepresented India's greatest ambassador of Vedic culture to help him do his job properly.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari" 

HariBol!

• Questioning is not sacrilege. If faith does not leave room for questioning, it stagnates and then becomes something else. So do not be offended by the person raising question. It is, in fact, a valid question, given that it seems to be against half the population in a country where little girls are killed in the womb

• Sevak

Hare Krsna

Irrelevant details about actions about killing are given with intention of propagating feminism. We are here to propagate & understand Krsna consciousness. 

Hare Krsna

This reply was deleted.