ISKCON Desire Tree - Devotee Network

Connecting Devotees Worldwide - In Service Of Srila Prabhupada

Definition of pure bhakti:

anyabhilasita sunyam

jnana karmadi anavritam

anukulyena krsnanusilanam

bhaktir uttama

["The cultivation of activities that are meant exclusively for the pleasure of Sri Krsna, or in other words the uninterrupted flow of service to Sri Krsna, performed through all endeavours of the body, mind and speech, and through the expression of various spiritual sentiments (bhavas), which is not covered by jnana (knowledge aimed at impersonal liberation) and karma (reward-seeking activity), and which is devoid of all desires other than the aspiration to bring happiness to Sri Krsna, is called uttama-bhakti, pure devotional service."

(Sri Bhakti-rasamrta-sindhu 1.1.11)]

In brief, the meaning of the verse is this: Pure bhakti is the continuous, unbroken cultivation of all activities of the body, mind, words, and spiritual feelings which are meant exclusively for the benefit of Sri Krsna, which are completely free from all other desires, and which is not covered by karma (fruitive activities), jnana (knowledge to get liberation), yoga, and other things.

Hare Krishna

Views: 1270

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One time when I was distributing books out at O'Hare in Chicago one of my mentors and book distribution instructors noticed I was very fired up and the books seemed to be literally flying out of my hands and into the hands of the conditioned souls. From time to time it almost seemed as if people were somehow lining up to get books from me. Later on my book distribution teacher gave me some really good advice. He said, "Sometimes when you enter into the fire like that and start to feel the bliss and ecstasy of engaging in devotional service you have to also be extra vigilant to beware of the enjoying mood which may subtly and even surreptitiously encroach on your efforts. If you can direct your boosted and magnified energy and enthusiasm to simply enter more deeply into your service rather than trying to relish your newly discovered powers, you will then enter into the anandambuddhivardhanam, the ever increasing and expanding ocean of bliss and ecstasy." I don't feel like I've ever really been able to follow his excellent advice but I've seen others that seem to know how to act according to this higher divine transcendental principle and I hope that someday I may also enter their ranks. In the meantime I'm happy to simply go out every day and chant the maha mantra. Sometimes people ask for books. Hare Krishna!

RSS

Receive Daily Nectar

Online Statistics

Addon Services

For more details:
Click here 

Back to Godhead Magazine !

For more details:
English | Hindi

© 2019   Created by ISKCON desire tree network.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service