Dead body given to Science

I have a Dilema! I have put in my will that i do not want a funeral, and when i die i want my body to be given to science

Krshna says that we are not the body, we are the soul. so when the soul has left the body, then the body is useless.

so in Hinduism, is it ok for my body NOT to be cremated?

Please guide, if there are any references to scriptures

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sevak
    Hare Krsna
    Is it ok for my body NOT to be cremated ?
    Yes, if you are 100% self realized soul. Meaning you have 100% realization that you are different from your gross and subtle body and have zero material desires and are sure that you will not take another material birth.
    Example when Vidura left this planet, Yudishtira Maharaj wanted to perform final rites after coming to know of it. But there was an akashvani that said Vidura had performed severe austerities like an ascetic/ yogi and left his body with full self realization. He was advised not perform final rites.

For conditioned living entities saturated with material desires, they will be forced to take up more material bodies. For such conditioned souls it is best to perform last funeral rites. These rites help the conditioned soul move to the next body very easily and quickly. The conditioned soul is very attached to material body. Death is not exactly like switching off of light. It is more like switching off of a rotating fan. It takes time to come to a complete halt.
    If funeral rituals are not performed then departed soul may linger around the material body with hope of enjoying it. Many cases of coma are like these. Body is unfit but soul doesn't depart and hangs on. In every religion there is the concept of performing last rites in different manners.
    Even lord Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu performed last rites for his father. Lord Narasimha deva assured Prahlad maharaj that his father Hiranyakasipu has attained liberation and still advised Prahlad Maharaj to perform his last rites.

i want my body to be given to science
    Science cannot accept your body because science is not person or an entity. It is just one of the many subjects to be studied to get some degree/ job etc.

Ultimately the choice is yours. I would definitely want my soul to have an easy transition. Forget bogus science !

Hare Krsna
  • Tell me, do you let the lord decide what to do with your body when you're alive? do you wake up everyday waiting for instructions? No, you do what is right and make sure your actions do not harm others. In the same way, it doesn't matter what you do with your dead body as long as it doesn't harm anyone and giving it to science is a sure way of making sure that someday that knowledge may help save a life. Now wouldn't that please the lord ?
    • Sevak
      Hare Krsna

Do you let the lord decide what to do with your body when you're alive?
      One of the greatest devotees of Sri Krsna - Arjuna let Lord Sri Krsna decide what to do based on the instructions of Sri Krsna in Bhagavad Gita. It is glory to follow the instructions of Sri Krsna

you do what is right
      How to know what is right and what is wrong. For Ravana kidnapping others wife is right. For Hiranyakasipu killing his son is right.
      Just not harming doesn't mean it is right. How do you know what is harmful and what is not ?

Hare Krsna
  • When a iron rod is placed in fire then it becomes fiery, it is no more iron, so Now also please give your body to Highest scientist i.e. devotees of Lord Krishna, and then May your body , mind , words be more useful now for Krishna than just after death, than if you become nice devotee by doing that , Krishna will make your dead body also worshipable as many great devotees because that body will be no more material but it will be spiritualized like a iron rod kept in fire! All the best Hare Krishna.
    • A human body is not an iron rod, so this argument is totally irrelevant.
  • Thank you so much for the input, really appreciate.
    Haribol
  • E-Counselor
    Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

In addition to what Aniruddha Das prabhuji has said, one more point is - if you are a practicing sadhaka in this birth, and you are initiated, then you have given your body to your guru. You have no right to decide what to do with your body anymore, esp when you will have left the body.

As a practicing sadhaka, we are trying to follow the scriptures. As per our scriptures, once the soul leaves the body, the body has to be returned to the panch maha bhutas - either by cremation and subsequent immersion of ashes in the ganges, or by putting the body itself in water like they do in Benaras. It is advisable to follow one of the two options.

Scriptural reference - once Sanatan Goswami was having so much of pus in his wounds (he had some disease) that he thought it would be better to commit suicide. Lord Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, being all knowing, immediately understood and chided him, saying you have surrendered to Me, that means you have given your body to Me, how can you decide to commit suicide now? This body belongs to Me, you cannot decide.

Haribol,
    Your servant,
    Radha Rasamayi DD

Haribol,
  • Hare Krishna
    PAMHO AGTSP

If you follow Sanatan Dharm then without any doubt your body (cloth of soul) should be disposed (cremented) properly even if you have an off spring or not.

Secondly there are lot of bodies for science, you do not need to worry for that. 2 people die every second (151,600 every day). Don't fall into unnecessary propoganda. You are devotee, be devoted to the Lordship.

And lastly your lawyer has executed a wrong will, check Indian Succession Act 1925. You have no control over your body (organs) after you pass away unless you've donated it to any Govt certified institute in right peace of mind (which is also challengable by your off-springs). You only have control over your estate not even bank account because for that you have already nominated somebody at time of sign up. So it's bit technical here.

I hope I answered your question in simplest way.

Apologies for offences committed to you.

Hare Krishna

Insignificantly Yours
  • Hare Krishna,
    As far as I know... Shaardha karma is done for the soul.
    The Pitris remain in heaven, Pitri Loka or Chandra Loka, for a very long period. The enjoyments in heaven and the peace of the departed soul are enhanced by the performance of the Shraddha ceremony. Likewise the sufferings of the departed soul in worlds other than heaven are mitigated by the performance of the Shraddha ceremony by his sons. Thus, in both cases, the performance of Shraddha is a great help.
    The body is of no use .. they either leave it to be eaten by other creatures or burn it or make it flow in ganges.
    it becomes dust to dust.
    But its for the soul that one does Shaardha karma .. so that the soul leaves the earthly attachments and progresses to higher planets.
    Even If you donate your body.. if your loved ones' do shaardha tarpana offering pinda and food and water ( seseame seeds, rice and water) do daan or read bhagwatam in your name
    your attachements to that body are cut off. Otherwise your soul will keep on retrying to enter the body within 13 days of the death.
    Within the first 13 days of the death which are very crucial the soul should be cut off with all the attachments with the body and his relatives. For that only they do this karma.
    Body is of no use it should not decompose and cause problems to others so they burn it or bury it.
    But the last rights are to be done accordingly.. Otherwise.. the preta can try to enter again into the body. The ghost ( pretatma) looks at its body and feels sad and will cause troubles to the people around.
    body can be given to medical school its a noble idea for the advancement of science. But shaardha karma cannot and shouldn't be avoided ..
    Otherwise your soul cannot get itself detangled from this earthly connections and cannot go ahead into higher planets.
    Hare Krishna.
This reply was deleted.