Constitutional position of demigods

Hare Krishna to all!

All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

The general people believe that demigods know everything about the Supreme Personality of Godhead and His creation. People worship demigods to gain material gains because they believe that the demigods control the fate of all living beings. However, there are many instances that the demigods were not only bewildered, but also  were not aware who was Krishna. We learn from Bhagavatam that Brahma, the creator of all living beings including human beings,  was bewildered about who was Krishna and wanted to test Krishna and show his power by stealing all the cow boys and calves:  

SB 10.13.15 — O Mahārāja Parīkṣit, Brahmā, who resides in the higher planetary system in the sky, had observed the activities of the most powerful Kṛṣṇa in killing and delivering Aghāsura, and he was astonished. Now that same Brahmā wanted to show some of his own power and see the power of Kṛṣṇa, who was engaged in His childhood pastimes, playing as if with ordinary cowherd boys. Therefore, in Kṛṣṇa’s absence, Brahmā took all the boys and calves to another place. Thus he became entangled, for in the very near future he would see how powerful Kṛṣṇa was.

The King of heaven Indra also did not know that Krishna was the Supreme Personality of Godhead. He wanted to test Krishna as we learn from following verses of Bhagavatam:  

SB 10.25.2 — Angry Indra sent forth the clouds of universal destruction, known as Sāṁvartaka. Imagining himself the supreme controller, he spoke as follows.

SB 10.25.3 — [Indra said:] Just see how these cowherd men living in the forest have become so greatly intoxicated by their prosperity! They have surrendered to an ordinary human being, Kṛṣṇa, and thus they have offended the gods.

In Bhagavad Gita Krishna clearly declares that the demigods should also understand and know that Krishna is the Supreme Personality of Godhead:

BG 7.30: Those in full consciousness of Me, who know Me, the Supreme Lord, to be the governing principle of the material manifestation, of the demigods, and of all methods of sacrifice, can understand and know Me, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, even at the time of death.

Now, I would like to know:

a. Are the demigods also living beings with higher potency than human being with a little better knowledge and power? 

b. Do they also under the influence of modes of material nature (goodness, passion and ignorance.? (Ref: Bg 14.5 — Material nature consists of three modes – goodness, passion and ignorance. When the eternal living entity comes in contact with nature, O mighty-armed Arjuna, he becomes conditioned by these modes.)

c. What is the constitutional position of demigods?

I will appreciate your valuable time and inputs in this regard.

Your insignificant servant,

Amal 

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krishan Reshmi mataji!

It is so nice to read your valuable eye-opening responses. I always count on your wonderful inputs and I understand how merciful you are to a fallen soul like me. I didn't know that Indra was a postand the next to Indra was Bali Mahara. I will certainly read Prithu Maharaj's 100th Ashwamedha yagya mataji. You can easily guess from my questions that I am just a neophyte devotee . I need your kind help and guidance to advance in the path of spiritual understanding. 

I appreciate your valuable time, guidance from your in-depth knowledge and unconditional love for all. 

Your insignificant servant,

Amal 

• SB 8.10.2 — O King, after the Supreme Personality of Godhead had brought to completion the affairs of churning the ocean and feeding the nectar to the demigods, who are His dear devotees, He left the presence of them all and was carried by Garuḍa to His own abode.

anyway, sri indra is faultless of stealing that horse , assisting lord in his lilas :

SB 4.19.30 — Lord Brahmā addressed them thus: My dear sacrificial performers, you cannot kill Indra, the King of heaven. It is not your duty. You should know that Indra is as good as the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Indeed, he is one of the most powerful assistants of the Personality of Godhead. You are trying to satisfy all the demigods by the performance of this yajña, but you should know that all these demigods are but parts and parcels of Indra, the King of heaven. How, then, can you kill him in this great sacrifice?

dear amal,  

devotees like indra are faultless servants of sri krishna,

always assisting him in his lilas for welfare of all universe.

we should never listen unqualified persons talking offensively toward lords real devotees,

because by following them, we will never please the god, no matter what we do.

2545279867?profile=original

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

Indra is as good as the Supreme Personality of Godhead

This statement of Srimad Bhagavatam has to be understood within its context. This statement is said By Lord Brahma during the episode of Indra and Prithu Maharaja

Due to disturbance from Indra, sages were not able to perform their sacrifice which was meant for welfare of citizens. Indra due to misunderstanding was trying various means to stop the sacrifice. Hence sages started a sacrifice meant to kill Indra. Seeing this lord Brahma appears and makes this statement. 

The purpose of lord Brahma was to prevent killing Indra and protect Indra because he is important for the universe. Hence Lord Brahma says he is As good as Supreme lord, this to the sages performing sacrifices . This means that sacrifices made to Indra can give same result as sacrifice made to Supreme lord. Because Indra to them is representative of Supreme lord for the specific purpose of sacrifice.

This does not mean Indra is Supreme personality of godhead or the sages thought him to be supreme lord or Brahma thought Indra to be Supreme lord. This refers only to the particular role of Indra which is to receive offerings of sacrifice on behalf of Visnu and provide the result of Sacrifice to performers. 

There are many such contextual statements in vedic literature which can be used out of context and they can create confusion among common masses. This is one of the reasons in India why there are so many misconceptions.

Hare Krsna 

• Hare Krishna Dean Prabhu!

I am a very insignificant fallen soul prabhu. I ask question when I feel I need more clarification. That's why I rely on the responses from you and other exalted devotees. Keeping in mind not to listen unqualified person, I spend my time to read scriptures and listen from qualified devotees like you. I appreciate your valuable time, help, guidance, advice and compassion. 

Prabhu I strongly believe that all demigods are part and parcel of Sri Krishna and the leela we know about from scriptures is for the welfare of the universe. Since we can't go beyond the material thinking and influence, it is sometimes difficult to understand Krishna's leela. Prabhu how can I be bewildered about my seed giving real father? Krishna has been blessing me with his unconditional mercy in this life as well as my previous lives. I shed my tears when I think about Krishna's mercy and love for this fallen soul.

Again thank you for your mercy prabhu! 

This reply was deleted.