Namaste everyone!!I've recently become very interested in the ISKCON movement. I have been performing very, very simple puja to Shiva in my home for around 3-4 months. I would love to learn how to perform arati; I find it so beautiful. Do the Hare Krishna temples offer classes on how to perform arati or anything like that? Or how or who could I contact about learning?I'm curious as to why Krishna is considered the "Supreme Godhead" in the ISKCON movement? Could someone please find some scriptures illustrating this? Isn't Krishna an avatar of Vishnu?What if I feel more drawn towards Shiva or Kali or Hanuman? I've always thought they were all the same, ultimately; just different aspects of the same whole.What I've been attracted to most in the ISKCON movement is it's abundance and openness and Love. I've visited a few other Hindu temples, but I really love the vibes of the Hare Krishna temples. I love the intense kirtan and the giving of the prasadam.Another small question I have is regarding the japa bead bags. What purpose do these bags serve? I've been wearing my rudraksha beads around my neck and underneath my shirt. The Krishna devotees are the only people I've ever seen using such a bag. Where does one purchase these japa bead bags?Thanks for the guidance!Rama Rama Rama!

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Namaste and Hare Krishna,

The first such thought coming to your mind is the first sign that you have a noble heart and have some noble deeds of the past that now Krishna is showing you the way to him.

The best thing is that the Great Mantra can be recited vocally or mentally anywhere anytime - there is no restriction at all.

The Mantra is

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna
    Krishna Krishna
    Hare Hare
    Hare Rama Hare Rama
    Rama Rama
    Hare Hare

A lot of mp3 and ringtones are available on this site. You can listen and practice all day long. I do that.

To Purify your soul, it will help if you can purify your body to start with
    1. No Alcohol
    2. No Meat, Fish, Bird = Pure Vegeterian (Can eat fruits, milk, butter etc)
    3. No Gambling (including Lottery, Stocks, quick money Pursuits etc)
    4. No illegal relationship with opposite sex for physical pleasure.

Place your faith in the lotus feet of Lord Krishna, pray to him to show you the way to him and rest will be history.

You will enter into an eternal bliss.

Hare Krishna

May Krishna show you the light and the way to him

Hari Bol
  • Volunteer
    Srila Prabhupada always stressed the importance of simple living and high thinking. That is most helpful. Modern lives tend to be overly complicated in so many ways.
  • 1.you can buy bead bag from nearest iskcon.

What purpose do these bags serve?

why do we take break fast,lunch and dinner? Simple, produce for our daily energy and maintain health. same process for our athma.Athma needs Hare Krsna maha mantra so we have to feed athma daily.without athma living being considered as dead body
  • Hare Krsna
    This is the first time I'm actually browsing the discussions on this website and I came across your discussion topic. You've asked so many questions but in particular the question of performing arati. I cannot attempt to answer all questions posed because of time constraints but I can offer some advice. Krsna Consciousness has changed my life and to answer most of your questions I advise that you obtain a Bhagavad Gita As it Is by His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. This is my greatest treasure and it has provided clarity on many of your questions such as your question on Lord Visnu( Chapter 11 verse 54 provides information, Chapter 11 verse 38 and there are a multitude of other such references. Sri Krsna describes that He is supreme in the Bhagavad Gita krsna stu bhagavan svayam: Krsna is the supreme personality of Godhead. In the Brahma samhita it is revealed also that Krsna is supreme
    Isvarah param Krsnah
    sac-cid ananda vigraha
    anadir adir govindah
    sarva karana karanam
    Krsna who is known as Govinda is the supreme Godhead. He has an eternal blissful spiritual body. He is the origin of all. He has no other origin and He is the prime cause of causes.

Concerning chanting Japa...japabeads are kept in a japa bag for cleanliness purposes, also devotees take their beads with them when they are travelling ...of course you cannot go to the washroom with your bead bags.Devotees' japa beads are very dear and hence the reason for the bag. The mahamantra is our connection with Sri Krsna bhagavan , it is the core of our spiritual life. Therefore the beads and bag are revered and treated with the greatest respect.You can obtain a beginner's guide to Krsna consciousness or visit www. krishna.com or www.japaroom and there you can get more clarity.

Krsna in the Bhagavad Gita declares that He is the supreme personality of Godhead...Chapter 7 verse 24. cHapter 7 verse 26:
    "Those in full consciousness of Me, who know Me, the Supreme Lord, to be the governing principle of the material manifestation, of the demigods, and of all methods of sacrifice, can understand and know Me, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, even at the time of death."
    Krsna says that He is Lord Shiva. Everything emanates from Sri Krsna. Lord Visnu is a plenary expansion of Sri Krsna.
    "Of all the Rudras I am Lord Siva, of the Yaksas and Raksasas..." (Chapter 10 verse 23)

The Bhagavad Gita is Sri Krsna's direct words to Arjuna on the battlefield. Krsna declares that HE is supreme.Nothing has been modified in The Bhagavad Gita AS It Is..therefore I cannot stress enough to you to obtain a copy. In the interim you can visit www.vedabase.net The Bhagavad Gita As It is, is there online. Also visit your local Iskcon centre and devotees would gladly assist you.

I hope I have been of service to you. I wish I had more time I would have written much more.I hope I have not offended you in anyway and please forgive me if I have. I'm simply trying to impart what has helped me in my spiritual journey: inculcating a deep meaningful relationship with Sri Krsna.
    Haribol
    Julia
    Krishna.com | All About Krishna
  • hare krishna

u can use this link ...guess it might help u further on how to perform arati at home....
    http://www.iskcon.net/namahatta/athome.htm

hv a nice day filled with lords blessings...
    hare krishna
    • Thanks so much!
      I talked with a devotee just recently, on Krishna.com
      It's quite amazing how it happened, really.
      I understand much better about my question regarding Shiva and Kali. I had no idea that Lord Shiva was a very high Vaishnavaite.

Hare Krishna
      Krishna.com | All About Krishna
      • Volunteer
        “A Vaishnava’s visit to the temple of Lord Siva is different from a non devotee’s visit. A Vaishnava sees Lord Siva as being simultaneously one with and different from the Supreme Lord, like yogurt and milk. The Absolute Truth, God, is everything, but this does not mean that everything is God. For this reason Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and His followers visited temples of all the demigods, but they did not see them in the way an impersonalist sees them. Everyone should follow in the footsteps of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and visit all temples.” (Caitanya Caritamrita Madhya 9.360 purport). It is said, vaishnavanam yatha shambhu, or that “Lord Siva is the highest Vaishnava.”
This reply was deleted.