1 question here. Plz answer.

Hare krishna,I m 22 yrs old and its been two years i have been in KC.It feels weird when a person who is 2 times elder to you calls you "mataji". I know its their way to respect women like mother and sister. It feels like if i call  5 year old kid "mataji"  doesnt sound weird? Plz help me out.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Jai Shri Krishna..

You are  not the body but the soul..so you are neither a girl nor a boy.  The soul is ageless and we all living creatures are the same.  Since you are in the body of a girl.. etiquette rules that one should be addressed as Mataji or Didi etc..

2536084406?profile=original

• Thankyou for your reply. :)
      • Volunteer
        Hare Krishna! PAMHO! AGTSP!
        but sometimes it would be better to call just as like a sister, brother, son or daughter. as like in our country most of people do, following the ancient traditions.
        • Volunteer
          Hare Krsna Maral Mataji,      pranam,     I have seen in the vilage these customs are still very nicely followed.   But I always deal with the ladies very formally and they apreciate it.    If I were to call them sister it will become too close and they may even expect my participation in all their family functions.    Srila Prabhpada did not encorage calling sister and brother between the men and the ladies.    He wanted all the ladies to be adressed as Mataji,   Mother.    But at home and in the vilage you will have to decide what is most apropriate.
          • Volunteer
            Hare Krishna Prabhu! ok! if so let it be so further more!
            we will accept it with patience and humbleness.
            just the problem is, nowadays we forgot how much respect we have to offer to our parents. and because of that the word "mother", "mataji" creates only the image of the personality who is old and something like that.
            • Volunteer
              Hare Krsna,  Mataji.      When I think of mataji I think of God.     The Supreme Mother.  When I meditate on Radharani it is that She is the Supreme and original Mother of all living beings.      She is the oldest of all and the most beautitiful of all.  And She is full of love for us Her eternal children.     I know not many think like that of Her.     They are more in the habit with Mother Sita the wife of Lord Rama.     Not many understand The Supreme Mother.    So Mataji . Mother has a very high position.
              • Hare krishna, I appreciate whatever you say.

Brahmacharies calling "mataji" thats fine. But why married men have to call us "mataji" cant they consider us as young sister? or daughter.

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna! exactly this one i also mean.

• Volunteer

Hare Krsna JO Mataji.   here in India I have no problem calling all women Mataji.   Devotee or non devotee doesn't matter.    In the west i had to deal with many ladies at work and I did not address them like that but mentally honored them as my mother.  I found it worked just as good.   I know other devotees who work here and also call every lady mataji and they tell me its no big deal. at least for them its OK.    Its a small thing.  

• "it has helped keep  a higher level of respect  for each other when men and women are working together in the temple" Has mentioned by prabhuji. But what about outside the temple prabhuji? What about Non-devotees,you dont call non-devotee women mataji? What about their high level of respect then prabhij?

This reply was deleted.