One of the things that most people find very hard to accept about religion is the location of its origin.
Most of the Vedic stories we find, as far as humanity and planet Earth is concern, all happened in India, more or less.
Similarly, as for the Abrahamic faiths (Judaism, Christianity and Islam), they have a middle eastern origin.
For example, Lord Krishna wore 'dhoti' and the gopis wore 'sarees'. Likewise, Jesus, Mary and Joseph all wore
middle eastern clothing.
So, my question is what do God really wear or speak or eat? In the Vedic scripture they are illustrated to strictly wear
"Indian clothing" speak "sanskrit" and sustained on "vegetarian diet" or is it the other way around;
is it a transcendental thing or is it an Indian thing? Then again, claiming that all things Indian are transcendental in
origin won't be very helpful would it? That adds fire to the already exsiting ego maniacs out there claiming theirs to
be the best.
Same thing goes for the middle eastern religions - God and angels speak 'Hebrew'/'Latin'/'Arabic', wear that ancient
Israeli/Arabic robes and ate an ancient Israeli/Arabic diet.
So when a faith is tied to the location of its origin, culturally, it becomes very hard to accept for the people living in
different locations that shares none of the culture wherefrom it began.
Yes, you can blame it on the conditioning of the "embodied souls" still if you were serious and about to think in a more
realistic way, wouldn't it be great if we have a better, sensible explanation for this fact? In my opinion it is
the single most contraining factor that makes a lot people second guess about accepting religion in general because in
their mind it seems more like cultural conditioning/invasion than a actual transcendental offer/experience.
Sensible, easy to understand, non pretentious answer would be much appreciated.   

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you moderator for approving this humble question and thank you all for answering so kindly. I appreciate it. 

Radha Rasamayiji, you make very interesting point. Ancient Vedic ruins in the south east Asian nations is well documented but I've never heard of Europe or South America having a link to a worldwide Vedic past. I'm not denying it. It's quite possible...just unheard of. I'll look it up. Thank you.  

• Hare Krishna !!

I have no knowledge, but just felt if the below information could be helpful, so sharing.  You can please check if you feel : 

1. https://theharekrishnamovement.org/2013/11/13/the-choice-is-yours/#...

2. SB 4.29.62 — The living entity labors under the bodily conception of “I am this, I am that. My duty is this, and therefore I shall do it.” These are all mental impressions, and all these activities are temporary; nonetheless, by the grace of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the living entity gets a chance to execute all his mental concoctions. Thus he gets another body.

Purport ( last para): “The Supreme Lord is situated in everyone’s heart, O Arjuna, and is directing the wanderings of all living entities, who are seated as on a machine made of the material energy.” (Bg. 18.61) Situated on the vehicle given by material nature and reminded by the Supersoul within the heart, the living entity struggles all over the universe to fulfill his plans, thinking, “I am a brāhmaṇa,” “I am a kṣatriya,” “I am an American,” “I am an Indian,” and so on. All these designations are of the same essence. There is no point in becoming a brāhmaṇa in preference to an American or becoming an American in preference to a Negro. After all, these are all bodily conceptions under the modes of material nature. 

- Haribol !!

The Choice is Yours
    click on image to enlarge This is a nice article from Back to Godhead Magazine published in 1975. It is an interview with New York Times reporter Jon…
  • E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

I understand and appreciate your point. The problem is that the timeless religion is now lost. There are evidences of Kali temples in South America, stories of Ramayan depicted on walls in ancient Italy, even today Angkor Vat, Samudra Manthan pastime relics in South Asia, another Ayodhya, Bali's kingdom in Cambodia or some such neighbourign country.... I could go on and on... Even the gold that was make the golden city Lanka came from Brazil, as Srila Prabhupada has mentioned. Earlier times, the world was one land mass - Jambudwipa. Gradually, it became 7 islands. Even today, if you compress the lad masses, it will add up to 1 land mass - the cuts on the land mass in continents are complimentary.

Coming from the ancient religion of Sanatan dharma, we naturally will say this is authentic. Krsna wore dhoti and gopis sarees. 

However, the thing to note that our devotion is not dependent on these externals - what we wear has no consequence to Krsna - He simply sees the sincere desire in our hearts to please Him and establish relationship with Him.

Thanks to Srila Prabhupada, we now have a world family, where every cuisine known to mankind is offered to Their Lordships - be it noodles, or pastries, or pizza, or rotis.... anything and everything made, that is vegeterian and without onion and garlic is offered to Them and devotees relish remnants of Mahaprasadam. 

Regarding language, God has the capacity to speak with us in every language and even without language. These are externals prabhuji, dont be bothered. Just try to establish relationship with that one Supreme. The rest will follow, if it doesnt, it doesnt matter.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

This reply was deleted.