Why we suffer due to bad karma of others?

Hare Krsna,

According to Srimad Bhagwad Gita, our desires are said to be the cause of our suffering.

But many times it is seen that innocents suffer due to papa karmas of others.

In this world, we often see many incidences like: a person gets injured due to drunken or careless driving of others. Goons & corrupt politicians make honest people suffer.

Rape & acid victims get scarred & suffer for their whole lives, due to lust of others.

Why this all happens in this world created & maintained by Lord Krsna ?

Why Krsna doesn't protect innocents when being tortured by bad people ?

Why Krsna doesn't protect a girl from rape, who could be just a child, 10 years or smaller ?

Kindly explain.

Yours sincerely,

Nikhil

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krsna.

Thanks all for clarifying.

My final Doubt:

As per the discussion, it looks clear that though some good people seem to be suffering due to sins of bad people, in their present lives, but reason for their suffering is their own sins of their past lives. So the suffering people, though seem good presently, were bad during their earlier lives.

Then my question is; what should be my stance if, I ever come across someone suffering due to other miscreants; e.g. somebody being attacked, or having met accident, or some girl being raped, or forced into prostitution. Should I leave him/her to suffer because he/she "WAS" a bad person, thinking him/her to be deserving the torture? Or, should I try to help him/her & resist his/her torturers who "ARE" bad persons?

Regards,

Nikhil

• The uncontrolled mind makes one to have material desires, therefore such mind is the cause of all suffering.

• Hare Krsna,

Thanks for the replies.

However, I do not agree fully with the explanation: one who is being tortured by others only because he/she too tortured others in the same way, in his/her previous life.

One who did wrongs with others in previous life was definitely an evil person, & as per Srimad Bgagwad Gita, such an evil person must take birth through more evil wombs or among more evil people. So, his/her present character must also show traces of his/ her previous impious life. In other words, one who was bad earlier must be seemingly bad in his/her present life too. If this were the case, we may say, he/she deserved the tortures.

But what we see today is not like this.

In 99.99% cases rape & acid victims are innocents; or at least, fairly good ones who did no serious wrongs to others in their present life.

If they are good then they are more likely to have been good in their previous lives too.

Then why should they suffer; that too because of bad karmas of others?

Regards,

Nikhil

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

I agree with you - One who did wrongs with others in previous life was definitely an evil person, - so it is not necessary that the soul will get even human body in the next birth. This karmic reaction is not between life 1 and life 2. Meaning, the reaction need not happen in the very next birth. That soul will suffer due to his reactions in different yonis, and when he comes to human being, then he will suffer at the hands of whom he violated in some earlier birth. By this time, the earlier evil soul has become somewhat better, only to suffer at the hands of one he violated earlier.

Pls remember such evil souls will not commit only one sin in one lifetime. It will be a series of sins, eating non veg, shouting/ picking up fights/ cheating/ ..... the works. It could be anything. So the reactions will also come one after the other.

To give an example, once Dhritarashtra lost his 100 sons, he asked why he has to suffer so much. It was told that 100 lifetimes before, he committed a crime which reaction is coming now (have forgotten the exact crime). Then he asked, why wait 100 lifetimes to suffer like this. THe answer was - he was accumulating pious karma to beget 100 sons in this lifetime. 

In a nutshell, karma kanda is complicated and only Yamaraja and his assistants know which karma is giving which reaction. What we need to understand is - we suffer only our doing, never anybody else's doing, so stop blaming others for our suffering. THe only way to get out of this cycle of birth and death and endless suffering is - to take up devotion.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Hare Krsna,

Thanks for the explanation. Most part of my query seems clarified.

However I have two more points:

1) The present sufferer, say A, was previously bad & tortured B in his/her earlier life. But now A is good, but B became similarly bad & tortures A. But in this way there seems no ending, but they would keep on changing each others' positions through many births & deaths.

2) It is very very painful to see small children being raped & tortured. Somewhere, long back, I read that one's karmas up to 8 years of age are not counted. If this is true, why children suffer?

Thanks,

Nikhil

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

Answers are:

1) Yes, thats why it is said that karma keeps on going, it never ends and we never get out of this cycle of birth and death. 

2) I dont know about this. Maybe upto 8 years of age, reactions of past life karma are more prominent. 

Net net, everyone has to go through the reaction of each and every karma that one does. There is no escape. One may escape the law of the land, one cannot escape the laws of nature.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

The examples given by you, of drunken driving, or accidents, or rape - it may appear that the victim is innocent and the entire fault is of the perpetrator. That is - if you see this life in isolation. The first thing B Gita teaches us is - we are not the body, we are soul. The body perishes with time, but soul is eternal. What is death to us is simply changing of body of the soul, the way we change clothes, that way the soul changes bodies. What body the soul will get in the next birth is dependent on the activities or karma of this birth. The same way, what circumstances one faces in this birth is a factor of the soul's activities in a previous birth.

Otherwise, how is it that the drunk driver found only that person on the road to hit and run, that rapist found only that child to commit his crime and so on. 

So, if we see both sides of the coin, we will be in perspective and not get bewildered by such acts. One can escape from the laws of the land, but there is no way to get away from the laws of nature. What we sow, so shall we reap, that is the law.

I hope I have answered your questions. Pls revert if you have any further doubts or comments.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Hare Krishna,

It is said that we suffer the Karmas of past birth. I heard by a sage that those in male bodies were females in earlier birth and vice versa. May be those who suffer tortures and crimes like rape, murder and throwing acids did the same to someone else and escaped. Thats why they are here in the next birth to suffer and add to their experience and learn from life. Our Karmas bind a next birth on us and by whatever we are doing, we will take birth according to that. Unless we get ourselves free from this cycle, and attain the adobe of Lord, this will keep on happening.

Krishna does not interfere in the way Maya and Nature works but it all works at his instruction. It all happens meticulously as it is destined to be as per our Karmas and destiny. Krishna only helps you if the purpose of your service to Lord is reaching his adobe by overcoming illusory Maya. He then makes your spiritual journey easier by giving you all material gains you always wanted so you no longer desire them and be focused towards Him. The purpose of life is to get oneself free from this endless and painful cycle of births and deaths.

Hope it helps.

• Hi Nikhil 1st. Thank you for seeking the truth it Iskcon the vessel of Rodha's compassionate indevers to creat a (porthole) for escape from this materal calamaty known as the materal creation. Please consider excepting the Truth as-it is,.Krishna's abides in the spiritual sky.& He has reinvested Hi's potencys in others in order for them to creat & maintain this materal creation. We left Him, & it's not that He promises to provito personally, for the protection to all living beings in all features of Hi's creations 24/7. He says He'll protect & provide passage back to Hi's abode if you promos to commit to the philosophy that. ,All that you do, all that you say, all that you eat offer or give-away will be done ad a sacrafice to Him."& by this vow process & formula, heaven givenzup all forms of karma good & wikked/selfish. In the end, haven given up this body we will come back home to Him Back to the Spiritual Sky." This is ,in my view Hi's/the greatest gift of the BhagaVatgita the gift of the process/methud & practice needed to befollowred to direct the "transMigration of one's own soul.*ji Sri Sri Manah Krishna Gee keyJiah!
    however, this is not the spiritual Sky. & this relationship is not one deserving of Hi's personal supervishion and personal protprotection Sad but true. Can you father protect you once you habe entered into the prizen house.? By our own will & action's we entered into this herabal deceitful place. & only now are we few vishnavas receving the process by whech we van retern home. Hence we shouldn't place blame onto Krishn's karma or responsibility We chose Maya over Krishna. & Soc we suffer the association of other materaly conflicted beings. He provieds a bus-pass home but promises nothing else. Krishna's generosity is unquestionably the greatest. Indeef it is well known that Hi's mercy & compassion is more generous than anyones true karma. So that is to say we all get more good in life than we deserve. So as one of the falling Souls we should addmit that we need to reverce this downword spiral & hopefully rise above this decadence.
    He will protect you if you/we make Hi's conchusness/awairness an "inclusive part of our lives daily by chanting & offerings etc. Other wise we are on our own. P.s. Krishna is not beyond engineering difficulties into one's life if He believes that, that will turn their head back twords the quest to retern to Him.He wants us there with Him not here, with the beastly selfish decevers. Go home & be safe! This is not home this placr is not safe.?
This reply was deleted.