Why we should be a vegetarian?

Hare Krishna ..I am having one question why we should way vegetables when it also contains life?And why it is mentioned in Scriptures like Mahabharata thatगौगव्‍येन दत्तं श्राद्धे तु संवत्‍सरमिहोच्यते–अनुशासन पर्व, 88/5And in many smriti it is mentioned-उष्‍ट्रवर्जिता एकतो दतो गोव्‍यजमृगा भक्ष्‍याः–मनुस्मृति 5/18 मेधातिथि भाष्‍यOne more thing if we are eating vegetables based on the facts that it doesn't have nervous system then we should refer Thigmotropism which react to the touch.Totally confused prabhu ji..Will you please guide me..

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna prabhuji,

PAMHO.

We are vegetarians because that is what is prescribed in the scriptures. 

The soul is the same in different bodies. The level of consciousness differs according to the body one is in. Therefore, each body or yoni has a different level of consciousness. 

Animal body consciousness is more than plant body consciousness. Thats why we are allowed to eat plants and not animals.

To those who are arguing, you have to understand one thing - they are arguing to justify their eating non-veg. They are not believers or followers of scriptures. If you show them scriptures, they will show you science and aborigins and so many human races where non veg is prevalant. What I normally tell them is - ok, so there is nothing wrong in eating meat. Then why do we stop at animals? Why not eat human meat also? Isnt the thought itself revolting? Why? If I can eat an animal, then why cant another being, more powerful than me, eat me? 

Even in the material world, these people are called cannibals and jailed, right? So we are differntiating between life forms in the material world also. Then why not as per scriptures? 

The proper answer to such people is to scientifically approach the human anatomy vis a vis the carnivore animal anatomy, prove to them that the human anatomy doesnt permit eating non veg (not just teeth, you need to look at the intestines also).

Secondly, mention to them, for argument's sake, that human meat can also be consumed. They will get revolted. Then mention to them about the authority of scriptures and meaning of mamsa (mentioned by other devotees here).

Ultimately, its a personal choice. Mention to them that how can there be peace of mind to a person whose stomach is a graveyard. 

Tell them, for people who eat non veg - they simply eat chicken and say, not good, whereas the chicken has actually lost its life. What kind of civilisation is this, that allows killing, simply to satisfy the tongue.

If they are still not convinced, leave them. Do not waste any  more time on them. Spend that time in increased sadhana, even praying for such souls to get some mercy.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• "Secondly, mention to them, for argument's sake, that human meat can also be consumed."

Apparently not. It seems most species can't survive on their own kind, perhaps it has to do with self preservation or something else. May be there are some exceptions but by and large, it may be similar to inbreeding, a sure prescription to extinction.

A Chinese friend told me many years ago that some of them tried to eat human flesh but it seems that meat can't be digested and it leads to the stomach bloating like a balloon. I surely will not discuss this further.

Haribol

• You're completely wrong about that. That is a flawed scientific argument that people who WANT to eat meat without feeling guilty make. Our teeth structure and digestive system is way more similar to that of a herbivore than a carnivore/omnivore.  Kindly refer to attached pics. Hope that concludes your questions. Anyways at the end of the day, we are not vegetarian conscious like Prabhupad has reiterated numerous times but Krsna Conscious. Instead of doubting, just follow what Krsna and our Acharyas have said and you will see the result.You have mentioned that you trust each and every word so this should not be a problem :)

dietcomparisonchart2.jpg

CHsiteVEG.jpg

humans-are-meant-to-eat-meat-we-have-carnivorous-teeth-14046305.png

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/2544412895?profile=original
  • Krsna says 

patram puspam phalam toyam
    yo me bhaktya prayacchati
    tad aham bhakty-upahrtam
    asnami prayatatmanah

What does patram puspam phalam toyam mean?

"a leaf, a flower, a fruit , water ". If Krsna wanted meat or mamsa offered to him, he would have clearly stated so.

Even Bhishma Dev, such a strong Kshatriya condemned a diet of meat. Mamsa or meat actually means "Me, you" in sanskrit. This means that Now me (or I )kill you and my next life I give you permission to kill me. Now in Kaliyug, all these knowledge is lost and hence people just get a packet of chicken wing from the mart and cook it without knowing all these. If you are talking about plants vs animals, let me ask you, would you rather drink a glass of orange juice or a glass of chicken blood? If we were meant to eat animals, we would have the body and jaw structure to accommodate to that.  A tiger runs to catch a deer, put it's fangs through it and eat it raw. Can we do that? No! Humans go the mart,  get raw meat, season it with masala and salt and put it on the fire to get the raw taste out and eat it.

Ahimsa doesn't necessarily mean non-violence but it means the path with lesser violence. A meat eater might come and say " Heyyy , but you are killing plants too". But he kills both plants and animals. It's a tu quoque fallacy. Hence, if we can survive on lesser violence, why not?  Indian vegetarian has the most delish dishes,so it's no problem also! Come to think of it, there are only 4 or 5 meats. Chicken, Pork,Beef,Fish and mutton. But there are millions of grains and vegetable types! So you aren't missing out on anything.

• Prabhu ji I am agree with you..But I was seeking the answer of my question logically..
    Because for example if I a m non vegetarian then what does it means I am athiest??
    I am devotee of Krishna..
    But I need my answers little bit more practical..
This reply was deleted.