Why we should be a vegetarian?

Hare Krishna ..I am having one question why we should way vegetables when it also contains life?And why it is mentioned in Scriptures like Mahabharata thatगौगव्‍येन दत्तं श्राद्धे तु संवत्‍सरमिहोच्यते–अनुशासन पर्व, 88/5And in many smriti it is mentioned-उष्‍ट्रवर्जिता एकतो दतो गोव्‍यजमृगा भक्ष्‍याः–मनुस्मृति 5/18 मेधातिथि भाष्‍यOne more thing if we are eating vegetables based on the facts that it doesn't have nervous system then we should refer Thigmotropism which react to the touch.Totally confused prabhu ji..Will you please guide me..

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This reply was deleted.
    • Pranam Darryl Prabhu

As I said in my first reply, survival is the highest dharma. Shareermaadyam khalu dharma saadhanam (= this body is, indeed, a means to do dharma). When your survival is at stake, then in my humble opinion, "being forced" to eat fish must be an option. As always, offer the food to Krishna. But my point of view is rather simplistic. Spiritually advanced devotees here may have a better answer.

• NahoM...
    "All that we do eat, offer, or give away" Should be dun 1st. As A Sacrificial/offspring/safty-PrayerRequest) it's true "Sri Vishnu Sri Vishnu-Sri Vishnu

Because' The Mallards has a wonderful bra'vado, but it makes a showdy defence pride. Krishna Speeks Truth!
    • It is often that we hear the argument "there is life in plants, are we not killing plants even if we are vegetarian?" Yes, they have life but not soul. Secondly, "Shareeramadyam khalu dharma sadhanam" goes the aaryokti. That is, this body is, indeed, a dharma sadhanam, a means to carry out dharma, so we have to sustain this body for which we have to provide it with food.

The alternative is to die of hunger after mother stops breastfeeding. Since dying of hunger is not a choice, we have to eat. While we are at it, we must try to engage in the least violence and destruction of the environment. Choosing to eat meat when there are better options is then sinful. If I am sick and must eat non-vegetarian food is a part of my cure, then it is a sin alright but it is more like a medicine (just as we consume medicine contained in capsules made of gelatine (often non-veg)). 

Only ignorant people or those who are dying to eat meat suggest that it is impossible to get all the right nutrients from plant-based foods. This has been debunked by athletes and other healthy people who continue to live long and healthy lives. 

That leaves the reasons for eating meat as choice and culture (what we are told and get used to, as in large parts of the world). Study after study have shown that eating a plant-based diet is not only good for humans but also helps sustain the environment we live in - which, in turn, is good for humans. If an elephant can sustain its weight, strength and intelligence on a plant-based out, can we not?

Finally, do we really want to eat a dead body, bird or animal, raw or cooked?

• E-Counselor

Your statement - yes they have life but not soul - this is factually incorrect. Life or consciousness is a symptom of the presence of soul. Plant has life, has soul, with low level of consciousness. 

• Thanks, I expected this and gladly agree with you.

Harekrishna

Ranga

• But then what was arjuna going to do with the boar he killed that he argued with lord shiva and then challenged him to a battle?
  • Hare Krishna Arjun Prabhuji!!!!

Dandvat, PAMHO, AGTSP, Radhey Radhey, Gaurango Jai Jai, Hari Hari

Prabhuji whatever is Savithri Mataji has explained it is a very accurate.  Who spoke Bhagwad Gita?  The answer is Lord Krishna spoke to Bhagwad Gita.  To whom he delivered this?  The answer is Arjuna.  Who was Arjuna?  He was the devotee and intimate friend of Lord Krishna.  Who are Duryodhana?  He was a hard core atheist who used to jealous with Pandava and Lord Krishna.  Lord Krishna tried to awake him so many time from the darkness of maya but he was duffer who could not recognise the Lord,  in fact Lord Krishna showed his so many kind of Vishwaroop during to propose the last message of peace but Duryodhan was so unfortunate that he could not see the Lord.

So let me tell you one thing when the Lord was present himself during the Dwapar Yuga that point time people and a theist could not understand him then what to speak about Kalyuga where there are 99.9% population is sudra.

Devotional Service is not a subject to argument,  it is fully based on trust which is been delivered by Lord himself and then come down through diciplic chain.

It is very very difficult to preach the so called population of Kaliyug that is why Lord Says in Sri Mad Bhagwad Gita: manushyannam sahastreshu kaschit jagati siddhaye.  Means that one out of thousands try to be Krishna Consious and among those thousand Krishna Consious only rare pure soul understand me.

Your another answer about eating only veg: Lord say himself in Bhagwad Gita:  Patram Pushpam Falam Toyam,  yo me bhaktya pradyachati:  Whomsoever offer him leaf, flower, fruit and even water with shridha he accept it so what is the confusion.  If he would required anything else he would have mentioned it.

This body is the Temple of the Lord and let do not become this a buryground or cremation ground.  

As we read only affiliated books by board and as the layer refer the judgement of prior judges on based similar cases so we also have to apply the shatras evidence.

Hope you would got some information.

Your Humble Servant

Hare Krishna

• I have heard from Bhaktis that Blood Lust is one of the addictions we must overcome." It's a distraction to the mind, also the So-called life within the Vegetable is more like a vibrational frequency that simply greater and or lesser acording to it's cercomstance. I hear* the Spirit-&-the Subtle body-mind & ego are all situwaited well-above us, as such, the invensabal a sprct of our being the Spirit !Soul just returns there when the body is Sacrificed. I can't say for certain but it sounds plosable tjat we all have our rootSelfs anchored in the heaven's. At least I'ed like to think so /.!.\
    Krishna called us living beings
    "Un manafest then, manafest, & then the nun manafesting Continuously.
    I do feel that a frequency-vearreation is certainly insignificant in comparison to the emotional attachment & Sepperation syndrome mammals must experience.
    Upon loosing there body's in comparison to carrots! & then there's the bloodLust addiction & physical cravings causing far more disturbance to the mind than plant consumption indeed plants after being-offerd might experience humen consumption as a "hightened pleasher experience, wjere as I really doubt that can/would be said for/by any Animal hince We would be further guilty of inflicting Missouri onto a fellow Spirit Soul which is the deffinishion of
    "Sinful behaviour"
    I.e. one affords pleasher to all partys. THE other ?..( tear-drops & pain,missory &
    Confushion in all minds involved. there/these are great deffranses! Good question thanks.
  • Hare Krishna..
    I am totally agree with the concept of less violence...
    I myself is vegetarian but I feel uncomfortable when someone asked me logically prove why they should be vegetarian..
    Tribal still using the raw meat..We also cooked the vegetables and we are also not consuming it directly..
    If you look at the jaw structure of animal like tiger they have the sharp teath and their digestion system is like that only..
    If you look at the jaw structure of animal like goat etc their teeths are flat means to take only vegetables..
    But if you compare the jaw structure of human it contains both the sharp and flat tooth. And they have the digestion system where they can digest both veg and non veg..
    I still can not find the logical answer for this question..
    As per geeta and by the order of supreme lord I trust each and every word of geeta..
    • Hare Krishna mataji..Yes you are right mataji..
      But sometimes if people are arguing with you then I think we should have proper answers..
      As it's the only difference between human and animal that we can do brahmchetna..We are conscious we can ask questions..
      And I believe there is answers for every question..
This reply was deleted.