In South Indian temples too, we can only find Shri Rukmani, Shri Sathyabama and Shri Aandaal (Kothai Naachiyaar) as consorts of our Lord Shri Krishna. Why is Shri Radha not popular in the south India?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

What I understand is - Aandal is unknown to north India - she is known as Mirabai of the south. So she is not there in the north Indian temples.

Regarding Radha rani, she is like a big secret. She is not mentioned anywhere in the Srimad Bhagawatam by name. Only one reference is there - as "Aradhita". Before Chaitanya Mahaprabhu came and gave the secret out, very old temples of Krsna have only Krsna with a cow. After Mahaprabhu's mercy, temples started to have Radharani alongwith Krsna.

In South, somehow, there are always 2 goddesses with a God - Venkateswara, Vinayaka .... so with Krsna also, they kept 2 of His primary wives.

Satyabhama is the expansion of Radharani and Rukmini of Chandraavali, so Radharani is still present with Krsna, even in South India temples.

I can think of no other explanation.

Haribol,

YOur servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Hari Om,

Lord Shri Krishna is the Avtaar of Lord Vishnu also known as Lord Sriman Narayana. Lord Vishnu's consorts are Sridevi and Bhudevi representing Goddess Lakshmi and Goddess Bhooma Devi (Mother Earth). Rukmini is incarnation of Sri devi and Sathyabhama is incarnation of Bhudevi. As for the story of Radha goes, Radha never married Lord Krishna though she was the closest of Gopis in Vrindavan.

Pranam,

Prasanna Seshadri.

This reply was deleted.