Why it is considered as offence

Hare Krishna,

Danadavt pranam,

All glories to shril Prabhupada,

Why it is considered as offence to see counting beats during chanting? waiting for your help.

your servant,

Pooja.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Volunteer

it was according to time, place and circumstances Prabhu.

In the beginning it was like that but later Srila Prabhupada wanted them to improve their sadhana and all spiritual services.

So we have to use our intelligence. Soul is dynamic. Soul always active. And always streams to achieve better and better goals. That is the nature of spiritual world. 

Please forgive me Prabhu, i hurt You!

Your servant in serving to Srila Prabhupada,

• hare krishna maata ji... 

suppose we are on 15th( not continously) round and we see our beads while counting..and the effect of all 14 rounds get to others or the round on which we are,...
    please throw some light

• Volunteer

Dear Prabhu,

please accept my humble obeisances.

All glories to Srila Prabhupada.

Oh no, I think it is nothing wrong if we ourselves sometimes look in our beadbag and see our bead counting. What I said just refers to keeping beads open, so that everyone around can see the counting. At least on one occasion Srila Prabhupada chastised a devotee who was keeping his beads around the neck and chanting. He said to always keep them in beadbag.

Similarly, devotees cover their hand with cloth or with other hand when chanting Gayatri, so that people around do not see the counting, but I think there is nothing wrong if they themselves see.

Your servant,

Madhavi-lata d.d.

• ok thanku maata ji....

krishna bless u 

• Volunteer

Dear Mataji!

Please accept my humble obeisances.

All glories to Srila Prabhupada.

I heard in a seminar by H.H. Bhaktividya Purna Swami Maharaja, that if the counting of mantras is seen (counting on beads during japa or counting on fingers chanting gayatri), then the subtle living entities who live in the bhuvah (outer space, or space between the earth and heavenly planets) get the benefits of our chanting. The gandharvas, yaksas, raksasas etc. Therefore we keep beads in the beadbag. But the beadbeg itself does not neccesarily need to be covered.

Similarly if we eat in dark (if we do not see what we put in the mouth) then also we digest the food, but the subtle living entities take all benefit.

Your humble servant,

Madhavi-lata d.d.

• Volunteer

it is not an offense but to show our beads to everyone is not recommended. 

we have to keep them clean.

Your servant,

This reply was deleted.