Why do devotees call me "Prabhuji" I am not GOD

I have a name "Parvesh Taneja", My friends call me by my last name simply (I don't mind it).

But here I have seen everyone says Prabhuji.

In hindi Prabhu means GOD and I am not god as simple as that, why is everyone calling me god,

it's funny, May I know why everyone says prabhuji ?

****************************************************************************************************************

Same is for ladies instead of Prabhu they are saying Mataji <Not all ladies have childrens>? Then Why??

******************************************************************************************************************

New born Female Baby ? will you call her Mata?
New born Male Baby ? will you call him Prabhu?

**********************************************************************************************************

This was quit funny for me as I don't know the reason behind it ?

I don't want to offend anyone so Please don't say me to go somewhere else ( Once a devotee here asked me to leave this site and go elsewhere. )

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• So what? Men in Iskcon call women Mataji and sleep with them. Who sleeps with their mothers? Lol. So this is also normal.
  • Dandavatt literally means falling down like a stick

or a form of respectful obeisances falling flat on the ground

or in colloquial terms in India people say dandavatt meaning thank you

• Also chanakya pandit said that except our wife and daughter,everyone else is our mother. Therefore we say mataji. Mataji not means that she has got kids but it means that we our addressing them as our mother.
  • Since you asked about why in ISKCON people call each others as prabhu. Then who else, but the Founder Acharya of ISKCON, Srila Prabhupada himself would be a best authority to explain this subject matter.

“As servants of the Supreme Lord, all living entities are one, but a Vaiṣṇava, because of his natural humility, addresses every other living entity as prabhu. A Vaiṣṇava sees other servants to be so advanced that he has much to learn from them. Thus he accepts all other devotees of the Lord as prabhus, masters. Although everyone is a servant of the Lord, one Vaiṣṇava servant, because of humility, sees another servant as his master. Understanding of the master begins from understanding of the spiritual master.” (SB 7.5.11, Purport)

“In Kṛṣṇa consciousness we address our contemporaries as "prabhu." Prabhu means master. And the real idea is that "You are my master, I am your servant." Just the opposite number. Here, in the material world, everyone wants to place himself as the master. "I am your master, you are my servant." That is the mentality of material existence. And the spiritual existence means "I am the servant, you are the master." (Lecture on BG 4.9 -- Montreal, June 19, 1968)

“We are teaching our disciples to address amongst themselves "prabhu." This is not new thing. This is very old. Now Nārada is addressing Vyāsadeva, "prabhu," his disciple. His disciple, he's addressing prabhu. So we should give respect.” (Lecture on SB 1.5.1-4 -- New Vrindaban, May 22, 1969
  • Prabhu means master.

By serving vaishnavas and brahmanas person achieve blessings which can attain Lord, supreme prabhu of all creation. 

By knowing that, person address another Vaishnava or brahmana as ''prabhu'' or master, with desire to be servant.

This reply was deleted.