Replies

• Hare Krishna Prabhus!

Many devotees and neophytes put out questions of genuine regard, and also to help 'spark discussion' on different aspects of a subject.

We know, as devotees in Shrila Prabhupada's line, that we chant the Mahamantra.  There certainly is no room for lateral movement on this subject. Always remember Krishna, never forget Krishna!

With that said, other mantras have their place.  Yes, most mantras are the name of God; but we have been told by our Acharya to chant the Hare Krsna Mahamantra.   We may not have the taste for it....it is an acquired taste; Saints in our line have lamented their lack of taste for the Mahamantra.

Just like exercise, we are told by the Coach all of these exercises to do.  But then the Coach says, the most important thing above all 'run for your health'.

So, if we get on an exercise bike, there may be some benefit; we may do "push-ups", this helps our health also.  But, our Coach has given a superior order.. "run for your health".  We may not like 'running', but we try.  We build up our tolerance and endurance for that activity.  That is where we make full-progress.

ys

• Dear devotee,

I think we can chant any of the mantras. The most important thing is that you do devotion to Him.

I, personally chant the following other than the maha mantra:

1. om namo bhagavate vasudevaya

2. Om Namoh Narayana

3. Shri Krishna Govind Hare murari he natha-narayan vasudeva (This is mentioned in Srimad Bhagavatam, Canto 1,in chapter "Punishment & rewards of Kali". It means that Shri Krishna is All in one)

• Yes nobody can stop u from chanting but can someone promise u that u will be let to chant this mantra after initiation.i think that u will be have to hare krsna hare rama.Gaudiyas think it is the most complete mantra thats why every or most gaudiyas will say to u that this is the only mantra for this kali yuga.

• It depends on which sampradhaya u r following.One gets success ONLY if he follow  Acharyas of his line,sampradhayam.Gaudiyas following srila prabhupada must chant hare krsna as one day u will have to vow to chant on your innitiation day.However not only Hare krsna Hare rama is the MAHAMANTRA every mantra in the scriptures have the same power as God power is all powerful .His forms,names,dhams etc are same.First you have to try getting more attraction for the hare krsna hare rama mahamantra because u want to follow gaudiyas line.Every mantra of visnu,krsna is MAHAMANTRA.Also it depends in which relationship u want to associate with the lord.As mataji rashmi khaitan said dhruva maharaj chanted om namoh bhagavathey vasudevayah n he was a devotee in the mood of dasya,as a servant mood.Normally devotees who prefer dasya rasa like this mantra n om namoh narayanayah as these MAHAMANTRAS make u feel more your dasya rasa with the lord.                                                                                        Pṛthu Mahārāja desired to serve the Lord with the goddess of fortune, but this desire does not mean that he was situated on the platform of mādhurya-rasa. The goddess of fortune is engaged in the service of the Lord in the rasa of mādhurya, conjugal love. Although her position is on the chest of the Lord, the goddess of fortune, in her position as a devotee, takes pleasure in serving the lotus feet of the Lord. Pṛthu Mahārāja was thinking only of the lotus feet of the Lord because he is on the platform of dāsya-rasa, or servitorship of the Lord. From the next verse we learn that Pṛthu Mahārāja was thinking of the goddess of fortune as the universal mother, jagan-mātā. Consequently there was no question of his competing with her on the platform of mādhurya-rasa. Nonetheless he feared that she might take offense at his engaging in the service of the Lord. This suggests that in the absolute world there is sometimes competition between servitors in the service of the Lord, but such competition is without malice. In the Vaikuṇṭha worlds if a devotee excels in the service of the Lord, others do not become envious of his excellent service but rather aspire to come to the platform of that service.
    (Srimad Bhagavatam------4:20:27------purport).         

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Mario Prabhu,

PAMHO.

Where did you get this name? You got initiated? By whom?

You already know the answer to the query raised by you. Why your mind is flickering so much these days prabhuji? You were very sincere, now you are experimenting too much. Its like you want to reach a destination, the highway to that destination is in front of you and you are on that highway, still you are looking for lanes and bylanes to explore all alone and reach the desitnation faster.

Any name of the lord is important, though there are primary names and secondary names. Mahamantra is prescribed for this age, as you know, and it has worked like a medicine for people who have put their faith in it and chanted offencelessly. If you still want to chant Om Namo Bhagwate Vasudevayah, which we do before starting to read Gita or Bhagawatam, then its your choice. For the record, this mantra was chanted by Dhruva Maharaj. He succeeded, got the darshan of the lord and benediction from Him to fulfill his desire, still was dissatisfied because he realised he was not in pure devotion.

Mahamantra is for pure devotion.

My suggestion to you is do not experiment too much. Choose one path and start walking down that path with full faith and determination. Then follow all the rules and regulations of that path without doubting. Will you ask the doctor who is prescribing you any medicine to be taken thrice a day for 5 days, what will happen if I take once a day for 8 days? Do we do this kind of questioning - no na. We trust the doctor and follow his instructions na - same way, if you have faith in Srila Prabhupada, follow his instructions - chant 16 and follow 4 with firm faith and determination.

I hope you did not mind my telling you all this. You are such a young kid that I feel like protecting you. You are free to make your choice.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Rashmi

This reply was deleted.