ways to read SP books??

Hare krsna to all the dear devotee..

It is said that we must compulsory read books to advance in KC? but is there any method like read this book first and this book(said that goto BG then Sbg ) and so on..like Shrila pravupad had given many books and should we follow stepwise or goto any books randomly...small to big ,,??

And like while reading books how must we read, how can we remove distraciton, how should we take notes and how often we must revise ?????

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• SUGGESTED ORDER / SCHEME OF READING BOOKS
    The following is the list of Srila Prabhupada’s books to be read by interested readers, aspiring to be serious in their spiritual life. systematic and regular reading of these books will help the reader clearly understand the philosophy of Krishna consciousness and thus develop faith and conviction.

CATEGORY I
    01. On The Way to Krishna
    02. Elevation to Krishna Consciousness
    03. Krishna Consciousness the Matchless Gift
    04. Krishna the Reservoir of Pleasure
    05. Perfection of Yoga
    06. Krishna Consciousness – The Topmost Yoga System
    07. Beyond Birth and Death
    08. Perfect Questions, Perfect Answers
    09. Easy Journey to Other Planets
    10. Raja Vidya: The King of Knowledge
    11. Transcendental Teachings of Prahlad Maharaj
    12. Coming Back
    13. Message of Godhead*
    14. Civilization and Transcendence*
    15. Hare Krishna Challenge*
    16. Scientific Basis of Krishna Consciousness*
    17. Sword of Knowledge*
    18. Nectar of Instruction
    19. Path of Perfection
    20. Issues of Back To Back to Godhead Magazine
    21. Prabhupada Lilamrita#

CATEGORY II
    These books are to be read after one has completed all books in category I
    01. Introduction to Bhagvad Gita As It Is
    02. Science of Self-Realization
    03. Journey of Self Discovery
    04. Life comes from Life
    05. Nectar of Devotion (Only Part One)
    06. Teachings of Queen Kunti
    07. Teachings of Lord Kapila
    08. Teachings of Lord Chaitanya
    09. Sri Isopanishad
    10. Few Shlokas of Bhagvad Gita Everyday
    11. Krishna Book#
    12. Srimad Bhagavatam (1st Canto) #
    13. A Second Chance#

CATEGORY III
    These books are to be read after one has completed all books in category I and category II
    01. Bhagvad Gita As It Is
    02. Srimad Bhagavatam (Canto By Canto)
    03. Nectar Of Devotion (Part II And Part III)
    04. Chaitanya Charitamrita

* Optional
    # Can be read simultaneously
  • E-Counselor

Hare Krishna.

PAMHO.

What I know is Bhagavad GIta is graduation, Srimad Bhagavatam is post graduation and Chaitanya Charitamrta is PHD. therefore, they have to be read in that order.

Apart from these 3 books and to prepare ourselves to read these books, we can start with basic books like - On the way to Krsna, Chant and be Happy, Perfect Questions and Perfect Answers, Life comes from Life, Science of Self Realisation, Discover YOurself.... If you read these books in the order I have mentioned, that is also going to give you a systematic approach to the philosophy of Krsna COnsciousness.

While reading scriptures (mentioned in my first para), it is compulsory that you read from beginning to end, including introduction. It should not be that you open the book and wherever you opened, you read one shloka randomly and next day same exercise. To understand the concept, you have to read from beginning to end.

To remove distraction, it is best that you read with someone, preferably more knowledgeable than you, so that you can clarify small doubts immediately. If there is a Bhakti Vriksha or a namhatta or youth program in your city, pls join that. It is the best way to become focused.

taking notes and revising as often as you want - it depends on your interest level and need based also.

Its heartening to note that you are so interested in reading books. Best of luck.

Haribol,

Rashmi

This reply was deleted.