Wandering mind during Japa

Hare Krishna everyone!

First of all I would like to say that I've got immense benefit from reading the beginner Japa suggestions here on this particular post http://www.iskcondesiretree.net/profiles/blogs/japa-procedures-and-prayers-useful-for-new-devotees-like-myself..

Lately I've had some material auspicious circumstance that I have been thinking much about, even while chanting.  I'm thinking I should be focusing on the sound of Krishna's name and meditating on the 4 handed plenary expansion of Vishnu to make my chanting the most effective? I'm wondering if there are any other techniques devotees use to focus more on the nectar of Krishna and his name, and if thinking about material circumstance even while chanting can be beneficial or binding?
Thank you Hari Bol Hare Krishna!

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Bhakta mark pranam to uoi I want to tell you that our mind is omly the practioner of bhakti or sadhna our senses are not. Senses are supporters to the mind like wihout mind bhakti is same as body without soul Krishna wants our mind actions are for the material world krishna says in gita - mamnu smar yudh ca. Oh arjuna keep in your mind and perform the battle or give your mind to me and body to world. So please involve your mind to krishna while japa and also meditate on his form and pastimes this will make seed of pure devotion to sprout in your heart. Hari bol
  • E-Counselor

Hare KRsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

Chanting can only be beneficial, it cannot be binding. Yes, thinking of material worries or apiness while chanting is not good for spiritual progress. One shoudl ideally hear oneself chant and concentrate on the sound vibration, that will give maximum benefit.

If you are thinking of your own happy situation while chanting, maybe you could divert your mind to - Krsna I did not deserve this happy situation, You are the cause for it, You have given me this happiness out of your causeless mercy, if this material happiness can make me so happy, I cannot imagine what spiritual joy will bring me. Krsna, pls allow me to chant Your name and remember You even in my happiness, then my life is successful. Krsna please dont let me be attracted to this material world despite this happiness - I know like everything else in this material world, this is also temporary and will eventually bring about misery only, please give me place in your lotus feet - that I always remember You.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Rashmi

• Rashmi Khaitan, thank you for this beautiful prayer and kind support.  This is just perfect answer. Thank you

This reply was deleted.