tulsi mala

what is the criteria to wear tulsi mala.

i am following 4 regulatory principles but not able to quit tea, also sometime i occasionaly eats food prepared with onion and garlics.

can i wear tulsi mala.

what is benefit of wearijng of tulsi mala

hare krishna

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ON VARIOUS TOPICS.

http://www.iskcondesiretree.net/group/krishnaconsciousness/forum/to...

• hare krishna
    all glories to guru and guaranga
    prabhuji, chant nicely hav faith in holy name and surrender fuly lord krishna and depend on him in all situation , just pray to him deep heartedly to help u give up tea and onion and garlic he wil definatly help u . he sees the sincerety of his devotee thats all.i ALSO HAD THE SAM PROBLEM, WEARING tulsi mala ul be recognised as a devote of the lord and ul be always protected by him.
    sory if i hav offended u
    hare krishna
  • Hare Krishna,

I do had the similar questions a couple of years ago: who can wear tulasi mala? do I need to follow any rules and regulations to wear kanti mala?
    I would like to share some information.

references:

1. In a conversation with Srila Prabhupad (SP), a person called Mike Robbin (MR) asked this question:

MR: What do the sign on your forehead and beads on your neck mean?

SP : This is a so-called tilak, made from a clay from sacred Indian rivers, Ganges and Yamuna. In India you see people
    with many kinds of these signs according to the specific tradition they are part of. According to the tilak can be
    distinguished also various Vaisnava sampradayas (philosophical schools). We, Gaudiya Vaisnavas from Brahma-
    sampradaya, wear tilak made of two thin lines which converge at the root of the nose and a spot in the form of an
    almond on the nose. Those who have Visnu tilak on their forehead are devotees of Lord Visnu or Krsna. Neckbeads
    (kanti-mala) mean that the person took a vow to follow orders of genuine spiritual master, who is a direct
    representative of Lord Sri Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead. They are made of wood of the sacred tulasi
    plant just as the rosary used for chanting the mantra (japa-mala).

my comment: we know clearly what are the orders of Srila Prabhupad.

2. From Vaishnava Etiquette Manual. This manual was written under the guidance of His Holiness Radhanath Swami.
    (from the preface of this book)

3. Lectures on vaishnava etiquettes by HG Radhe Shyam prabhu (senior brahmachari and president
    of ISKCON pune.)

These are the only references I can provide for now.
    I would like to know more about Kanti Mala and its significance if anyone has some information on it.

Hare Krishna
    • hare krishna........
      thanx all devotees here to give such a nice response
      but
      personally i follow 4 regulatory principles, i hav weared tulsi mala nd left onion , garlic

bt i am not able to leave tea , becoz my work requires a long hours of awakening , night shifts nd a lot of stress nd away from home.
      so i wll be very happy if someone suggest me a way
  • Kanthi-Mala (Tulasi Neck beads):

All the devotees who are initiated must wear kanthi-mala in at least two or 3 rounds (mostly 3 rounds). The mala should be wrapped around the base of the throat and should be clearly visible.

Devotees who are not intiated but have been following all the regulative principles for some time and who desire to take diksa may also wear kanthi-mala.

Tulasi beads worn around the neck indicate a devotee’s surrender to the Lord, and therefore a person wearing tulasi beads is dear to the Lord.

However, a person is an offender if he wears Tulasi neck-beads simply to imitate a vishnava but is not seriously trying to surrender to the Lord.

It is advisable not to wear beads if one is not following the basic principles, particularly the chanting of the Holy name and 4 reg. principles. Strictly speaking, once the kanthi-mala is worn, even onion and garlic should not pass down the throat.

The Kanthi-mala is worn permanently, for the beads protect one from bad dreams, accidents, attack by weapons and the servants of Yamaraja. Upon seeing the Tulasi-mala, the Yamadutas fee like leaves scattered by the wind.

This information is from ISKCON VAISHNAVA ETIQUETTE MANUAL

Hare Krishna..!!!
    • Hare Krishna prabhuji..!!
      PAMHO. AGTSP.

prabhu ji, what you said might be absolutely true from scientific point of view, I dont know about it in that context. But from spiritual point of view, we should not wear Kanti mala unless we are maintaing certain standards. One can advance very nicely and quickly in the association of a pure devotee, it has been proved many times. Tulasi Maharani is one of the greatest devotees of Sri Krishna, we take Her help in advancing in our spiritual life by taking Her association through worshiping Her. thats why indians in their houses plant Tulasi Maharani and worship Her with certain standards.

So when we are wearing Tulasi mala around our neck, it means we are showing the world that I have surrendered to Sri Krishna. When we are representing ourselves as a devotee of Supreme Personality of God Head we have to maintain certain standards.

Hare Krishna..!!!
    • great information about tulsi mala which i didnt know
    • but i read in vaisnava ettiqute manual of iskcon tht onion garlic and other things must not pass our throat if we wear kanthi mala..
    • thanks parbhuji 4 sharing this beautiful information.....
      1 more thing i want to ask.....
      i have quit onion and garlic but not able to quit tea, still cn i wear kanti mala.....
      thanks 4 ur response
      • Hare Krishna prabhuji..!!

prji, tea and coffee also has subtle intoxicants. We are not supposed to consume tea or coffee after wearing Kanti mala. May be you first try not to consume these things and test yourself for 3 to 4 months. If you are confident then goahead.

Hare Krishna..!!
        your servant.
This reply was deleted.