Tulsi mala questions

1) Which rules should be followed to wear tulsi mala for a person who is not associated with 

iskcon still he wants to wear it?

2) should tulsi mala be removed while going to washroom, to bath , to funeral ?

3) can we remove tulsi mala for some time when we feel it is not appropriate time to wear it during

some work keeping in mind the respect of holy tulsi mala? can we wear it again after it?

4) for those who are vegetarian but eat garlic, onion and drink tea, coffee can wear tulsi mala?

5) is it necessary to wear only 3 strands of mala around neck? can we wear mala as one strand?

6) those who eat garlic, onion and drink tea, coffee and are not disciple of any guru  can chant with

tulsi jap mala? 

7) if someone has worn tulsi mala and bought tulsi jap mala and is eating onion, garlic then can he

remove mala from his neck ? how to discard mala after that including jap mala? where to put it?

Please reply with satisfactory proofs of scriptures. I am getting different ans from different people.

Hare krishna

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krishna,
    PAMHO, AGTSP

1) Which rules should be followed to wear tulsi mala for a person who is not associated with iskcon still he wants to wear it?
    YES, JUST FOLLOW 4 REGULATIVE PRINCIPLES. CHANTING IS AN ADD-ON MERIT.

2) should tulsi mala be removed while going to washroom, to bath , to funeral ?
    NO NEED, IF YOU ARE WEARING AN OFFERED (BHOG) TULSI MALA THEN IT WILL BE PURE FOREVER. HOWEVER IF SOMEONE WEARS A YANTRA ON IT AND THEN TOUCHES A DEAD BODY, THEY SHOULD REMOVE THE YANTRA AS IT BECOMES UNEFFECTIVE, HOWEVER TULSI WILL BE ALWAYS EFFECTIVE IN GIVING YOU KRISHNA'S MERCY

3) can we remove tulsi mala for some time when we feel it is not appropriate time to wear it during some work keeping in mind the respect of holy tulsi mala? can we wear it again after it?
    EVERYTIME IS APPROPRIATE TIME TO WEAR TULSI MALA IF YOU ARE FOLLOWING 4 REGULATIVE PRINCIPLES. AND IF YOU ARE NOT FOLLOWING THE 4 REGULATIVE PRINCIPLES THEN YOU ARE ALREADY COMMITTING THE OFFENCE. SO RETROSPECT AND IMPROVE.

4) for those who are vegetarian but eat garlic, onion and drink tea, coffee can wear tulsi mala?
    THE TULSI MALA WHICH WE WEAR IS CALLED KANTHI MALA. MEANING NECK BEADS, IT SHOULD BE TIGHT SO THAT IT TOUCHES OUR THROAT (FOOD PIPE) - HOWEVER MAKE SURE IT IS NOT SO TIGHT THAT YOU CHOKE ON IT. WHEN WE EAT ANYFOOD STUFF IT IS BEING PURIFIED BY TOUCH OF TULSI. NOW IF IS IT OK FOR YOU TO KEEP ONION GARLIC ETC ON TULSI, ITS UPTO YOU. BUT IT SHOULDN'T BE DONE THOUGH.

5) is it necessary to wear only 3 strands of mala around neck? can we wear mala as one strand?
    NUMBER OF ROUNDS DOESN'T MATTER HOWEVER YOU SHOULD WEAR 2+ ROUNDS AS TULSI MALA ARE VERY BRITTLE, THUS WEARING MORE WILL MAKE SURE THAT MALA DOESN'T BREAKS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSZ06gI6Pnw

6) those who eat garlic, onion and drink tea, coffee and are not disciple of any guru can chant with tulsi jap mala?
    CAN DO BUT SHOULD NOT DO BECAUSE OF OFFENCES TO GODDESS TULSI. DO IT ON THICK NEEM MALA - EASILY AVAILABLE.

7) if someone has worn tulsi mala and bought tulsi jap mala and is eating onion, garlic then can he remove mala from his neck ? how to discard mala after that including jap mala? where to put it?
    HONESTLY IF YOU ARE SINCERE AND HAVING TROUBLE LEAVING ONION AND GARLIC BECAUSE OF GENUINE REASONS THEN YOU MAY WEAR IT AND KEEP CHANTING AS IT WILL ALLOW YOU SOMEDAY TO PROGRESS HIGHER. HOWEVER IF YOU ARE DETERMINED ON NOT LEAVING ONION GARLIC TEA COFFEE AND FOR YOU IT IS AN IMPORTANT PART OF LIFE THEN DISCARD MALA BY DIGGING 1 FOOT DEEP IN SOME FARM OR GARDEN AND THEN COVER IT. IF YOU ARE ON MAYBE STATE THAT MAYBE YOU WILL LEAVE ONION GARLIC THEN ALSO LEAVE TULSI. I PERSONALLY CHANTED ON NEEM MALA FOR 4 YEARS, AND TODAY I AM INITIATED AND BEEN LONG CHANTING ON TULSI BEADS.

Please reply with satisfactory proofs of scriptures. I am getting different ans from different people.
    READ HARI BHAKTI VILASA IF YOU WANT PROOF. HOWEVER GET USED TO OF TAKING ADVICE AND WORDS OF SENIOR DEVOTEES (I AM INSIGNIFICANT AND JUST A ROOKIE, HOWEVER THERE ARE LOT OF SENIOR DEVOTEES HERE ON IDT). SO INSTEAD OF SPENDING TIME ON READING ABOUT DO AND DO NOTS, READ BHAGWAD GITA AND EVERYTHING WILL BE CLEAR. PRABHUPADA HAS MADE SUCH ARRANGEMENTS THAT AFTER READING HIS BOOKS AND ASSOCIATION OF HIS BONAFIDE DISCIPLES ALL DOUBTS WILL FADE AWAY COMPLETELY.

MY ANSWERS ARE VERY STRAIGHT AND HENCE SOUND RUDE TO YOU; HOWEVER I AM UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT YOU WANT CUT TO POINT ANSWERS.
    FORGIVE ME FOR MY OFFENCES.

Hare krishna
    HARE KRISHNA

INSIGNIFICANTLY YOURS
    • Hare Krishna ,

I have been chanting 12-16 rounds for quite a few months on neem mala, following the 4 regulations, hear regularly, read Srimad Bhagavatam regularly, and Bhagavad gita, associate with devotees 2 times a week on online class.

my family is not so devotionally inclined, so although I want to give up Onion and Garlic I can't and If I rebel they won't allow me to chant also or maybe stop my devotional activities

However, I long to chant on tulsi beads, not just because everyone is chanting but I know she is a great devotee of the lord and will bless and assist me in chanting

Can I chant on tulsi mala or should I keep praying to the Lord to let me have an Onion and Garlic-free life?

I will wear tulsi mala on my neck after giving up onion and garlic but what about beads for chanting?

Please Help

• When you ask about "tulsi mala" are you referring to the small neckbeads devotees wear around their necks? Or are you referring to the large beads, used for chanting the holy name (1 bead at a time)?
  • Anyone can wear Tulsi beads and everyone will benefit from wearing.
  • Who Can Wear Tulasi Neckbeads?

The following authoritative quotes should put to rest all rumors, taboos and speculations regardingthis question. Bhagavan Sri Krishna Himself states that ANYONE CAN WEAR TULASI kanthi mala. There are no restrictions! The wearing of tulasi neckbeads, (tulasi kanthi mala) simply depends on one’s personal sense of allegiance to his beliefs, duty, or simply as a matter of inspiration if he/she wants to do so. Srila Sanatana Goswamipada calls this a taste or attraction to wear them, (yatha ruchi) HBV: 4.308.

In Vishnu Dharmottara, Bhagavan Sri Krishna says, “Without a doubt, ANYONE who wears tulasi neckbeads, even if he/she is unclean or of bad character, will surely attain Me.” (ashauco anacharo mam eva iti na samshaya) HBV: 4.322.

The following quote from a book titled, Associates of Sri Chaitanya, says that Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura gave tulasi neckbeads to a Calcutta industrialist who had neither diksha nor the most exemplary behavior: “Mr. S.K. Ghosh who often visited Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura at his residence called “Bhakti Bhavana.” Under the direction of Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura, Mr. Ghosh started wearing a tulasi mala around his neck, although he was not able to accept the principles of Vaishnava behavior in their entirety.”In addition, an Iskcon publication titled “Vaisnava Etiquette”, quoting Hari-bhakti Vilasa states: “The Padma Purana states regardless of whether one is an impure or pure state, ONE SHOULD ALWAYS WEAR TULASI MALA. And one should never take it off even when bathing, eating or passing stool and urine.” In other words, tulasi beads are always pure and purify anyone who contacts them.

full article: http://www.radha.name/news/philosophy/importance-of-wearing-tulasi-...

dandavat

Importance of Wearing Tulasi Mala
    • Please reply to my above question 4), 5), 6), 7)...Thanks

• I only know that wearing is ok, for everyone, just as you see in my answer above, Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur instructed Mr S.K. Gosh to wear tulsi kanti mala, even if he was not able to accept the principles of Vaishnava behavior. Devotees use to wear 2 or 3 strands but it is ok to wear 1, Tulsi Devi is still Tulsi Devi whether you use any amount of strands.

As for chanting on tulsi japa mala I don't really know, hope someone could answer that.

On discard, I've heard you can give it to someone who wants it for Krsna bhakti.

dandavat, jay sri radhika

• Thank you.. Hare Krishna.

This reply was deleted.