Hare Krishna
PAMHO
I'm a school going devotee and I'm not initiated.Though I have been into bhakti since long, I have drastically got closer to krishna consciousness this year.
A few months back , I was constantly getting videos about kanthi; being familiar with the required rules of not eating garlic and onion I did not decide to wear it until my foreign- exchange program as I was uncertain of what my host family there would give me. My whole family is a vegetarian and none of us consume alchohol however garlic and onion is used very often. I also discussed this with my other devotee friend but after that conversation I felt extremely uneasy for no reason at all. I then decided to get kanthi and felt relieved. I have no intention of wearing a kanthi just to showcase myself as a devotee when I cannot abide by the rules of wearing it. I met with a terrible accident in Germany during which all sorts of protective acccesories that one is made to wear came off before or during this incident, except my kanthi which has made it extremely special to me.
What troubles me is that I try my best to avoid onion and garlic containing items , but all dishes in my house contain them.Another thing is that though I have no lust for onion and garlic, but whenever I go out with my cousins or friends I find it really difficult to refuse the vegeterian options they offer, often containing onion or garlic..most of them eat non veg and already have to make an exception for me..therefore I cannot bring myself to request for more. Ofcourse they do not boast about it , but I feel very bad to cause them such inconvinience because I'm not the one paying. Refusing to eat altogether makes the situation even more awkward. Does this mean I'm disrespecting my kanthi in such situations? will such circumstanstial consumptions of onion and garlic hinder my progress in bhakti?
Looking forward to your guidance
Hare Krishna
Replies
Hare Krsna dear Mataji,
PAMHO.
I can understand your situation. Now I will give you both sides of the coin:
1) You want to avoid eating onion garlic, but cannot get enough courage to tell your friends/ family that you want to avoid. In that case, there are couple of things you can do - go for fruit/ non onion garlic options in the 1st place. Or tell them its for medical reasons that you cannot have onion garlic, not suiting you, giving too much of gastric issues etc. In this case, you have to decide who is more important to you - Krsna or your friends/ peer group/ family. It takes courage to say only once, then everyone becomes aligned.
I can relate to your situation - I was much older by then, 35+. I was recently transferred to a new profile at work, and the environment was particularly hostile. I had to go to a business partner's new office opening. There, they offered food which was vegeterian, but with onion garlic and even the sweet was a pastry. It took all my courage to say I cannot have any of these. Then they immediately arranged for satvik food for me. I was so embarrased, but I decided Krsna is more important to me than this temporary profile. It drew so much attention that my team members started to ask whether I have diabetes. But once I refused to eat onion garlic, hidden egg - everyone became aligned and I didnt have to say a second time.
2) Other option, which is easier option is to wear kanthi mala, but 1 or 2 rounds only around the neck. Since you are a student and not yet having your own set up to cook/ eat, but you want to wear kanthi mala, and are having the desire to give up onion garlic, you can wear 1-2 rounds kanthi mala and eat onion garlic when unavoidable. This should be with the constant prayer to Lord Krsna to please make your environment conducive to bhakti.
I hope I have been able to explain. Please ask if there are any doubts.
Haribol,
Your servant,
Radha Rasamayi DD
Hare Krishna mataji,
PAMHO
Thankyou so much for you insightful response🙏
I will try my best to do as you suggested,Krishna really is the most important.